Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Need to repair after a tenant moves out
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:57 pm
My tenants just moved out, and this is my first time renting out a property. I'm not sure how to go about handling the return of the security deposit, since theres a few issues with the house:

1. Large amount of furniture left (15 pieces inside) plus bulk items and trash all over the property
2. Wall damage, including large nail holes, wall shelves needing to be taken down, a tv mount still up. A few rooms need to be spackled and/or repainted

Also a few light bulbs are out and smoke detectors need new batteries, but im not sure if this is something I charge to the tenants?

If anyone can help me figure out how much to charge, id really appreciate it. I guess for furniture/trash I need to call a junk removal service and they'll give me a quote, but for the painting and wall damages (which my DH will probably do himself), how do I figure out the costs?

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:02 pm
You can usually work it out to keep the security deposit to cover all the repairs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:06 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
You can usually work it out to keep the security deposit to cover all the repairs.

Im not looking to keep the whole thing, I only want to cover the damages. Also im gonna have to send them an itemized deduction so ill have to know specific amounts for charges to repair..

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
My tenants just moved out, and this is my first time renting out a property. I'm not sure how to go about handling the return of the security deposit, since theres a few issues with the house:

1. Large amount of furniture left (15 pieces inside) plus bulk items and trash all over the property
2. Wall damage, including large nail holes, wall shelves needing to be taken down, a tv mount still up. A few rooms need to be spackled and/or repainted

Also a few light bulbs are out and smoke detectors need new batteries, but im not sure if this is something I charge to the tenants?

If anyone can help me figure out how much to charge, id really appreciate it. I guess for furniture/trash I need to call a junk removal service and they'll give me a quote, but for the painting and wall damages (which my DH will probably do himself), how do I figure out the costs?

Painting and wall damage, if minimal and of the type that needs spackle/painting, is not something the tenant should need to pay for. It's normal wear and tear and you should expect to need to do this between tenants.

Furniture/junk removal is not your responsibility, and if they left it there past their rental end date, you remove at their expense (which cuts into return of their security deposit).

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:07 pm
What were the terms of the lease regarding security, damage, leaving behind trash?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:10 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Painting and wall damage, if minimal and of the type that needs spackle/painting, is not something the tenant should need to pay for. It's normal wear and tear and you should expect to need to do this between tenants.

Furniture/junk removal is not your responsibility, and if they left it there past their rental end date, you remove at their expense (which cuts into return of their security deposit).

I was going to say exactly this. Unless the walls are majorly damaged beyond normal wear & tear of course. Same for batteries & light bulbs, those need to be changed out periodically anyways.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Its more than normal wear and tear. Theres a lot of huge screws all over the walls, parts of walls with paint fully scraped off, giant shelves installed into the walls (that we are having trouble removing and will need a lot of fix up after also), a large tv wall mount installed on the wall

I dont mean a quick spackle and touch up over tiny nail holes from hanging pictures. Multiple walls need to be fully repainted, and a lot of areas are gonna need major spackling and work

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:12 pm
amother Green wrote:
I was going to say exactly this. Unless the walls are majorly damaged beyond normal wear & tear of course. Same for batteries & light bulbs, those need to be changed out periodically anyways.

Yes though the tenant is supposed to be the one replacing them

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Its more than normal wear and tear. Theres a lot of huge screws all over the walls, parts of walls with paint fully scraped off, giant shelves installed into the walls (that we are having trouble removing and will need a lot of fix up after also), a large tv wall mount installed on the wall

I dont mean a quick spackle and touch up over tiny nail holes from hanging pictures. Multiple walls need to be fully repainted, and a lot of areas are gonna need major spackling and work

You need to repaint fully between tenants regardless.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:14 pm
Hanging thing up: was that clearly written in the lease that it’s not allowed?
Changing batteries in smoke detectors, light bulbs, etc would be landlords responsibility.
Typical is to paint in between tenants so assuming that they were there over a year I wouldn’t charge for that, especially if your husband is doing it himself
Leaving furniture and a mess you can definitely charge a clean up and whatever shlepers cost you

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

Did it say so in the lease?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:16 pm
amother OP wrote:

Can you get an estimate just to remove the shelves & screws & repair the damage without including cost of painting? Can you check the lease for anything pertaining to rules re hanging things on walls, a standard lease should have that.

Painting between tenants is kind of normal so I don't know If you can charge for that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:16 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
You need to repaint fully between tenants regardless.

Why?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:17 pm
amother OP wrote:

Save your husbands time and energy and get it done professionally. The money comes out of their security deposit, so you aren't saving anything by doing it yourselves.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:17 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
Did it say so in the lease?

Yes

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:18 pm
amother OP wrote:

Personally I wouldn't want to come across as petty asking for light bulbs & batteries. It may cheapen your claim for the real damage.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why?

It’s pretty standard expectation that people should move into freshly painted houses. If it was a short term tennant maybe not but for someone there a few years I would.

amother
Cantaloupe

amother OP wrote:
Why?

It's standard to repaint between tenants (unless it was a really shot term rental)

Elfrida

amother OP wrote:
Why?

Because people want yo move into a fresh and clean looking apartment. Daily use marks walks, and you don’t take much notice on a daily basis, but it hits the new tenant all at once. You want the aortment to look well maintained.

notshanarishona

amother OP wrote:

Only while they are living there
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries