Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Need to repair after a tenant moves out
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:20 pm
amother Green wrote:
Personally I wouldn't want to come across as petty asking for light bulbs & batteries. It may cheapen your claim for the real damage.

Right, I agree and wasnt planning on it. Even though it was their responsibility I feel like it probably falls under normal wear and tear

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:23 pm
To everyone commenting on repainting: I am not renting it out again. I was not planning on repainting. Even if it is typical to repaint after a tenant moves out, it still is a big expense and if its due to damage (as opposed to just a refresh) from my tenants then I am entitled to take it out of their security deposit. That's what it's there for..

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
To everyone commenting on repainting: I am not renting it out again. I was not planning on repainting. Even if it is typical to repaint after a tenant moves out, it still is a big expense and if its due to damage (as opposed to just a refresh) from my tenants then I am entitled to take it out of their security deposit. That's what it's there for..

Not necessarily, it depends on the extent of the damage. If you don't need more than a regular full paint & spakle job, then I don't think you can deduct the cost from security.
(Unless the lease specifically stated that they may not hang a TV or anything else on the walls.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:29 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
Not necessarily, it depends on the extent of the damage. If you don't need more than a regular full paint & spakle job, then I don't think you can deduct the cost from security.

I wasnt asking for legal advice, Ive checked the local laws and I am entitled to deduct for the repairs and repainting if its more than wear and tear (which shelves, mounts, large screws and large areas of torn off paint and spackle spots are)

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wasnt asking for legal advice, Ive checked the local laws and I am entitled to deduct for the repairs and repainting if its more than wear and tear (which shelves, mounts, large screws and large areas of torn off paint and spackle spots are)

You can do whatever you want, but if you charge for things that weren't specified on the lease, then don't be surprised if the tenants take you to court over it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:35 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
You can do whatever you want, but if you charge for things that weren't specified on the lease, then don't be surprised if the tenants take you to court over it.

My lease specifies that all damages and repairs will be taken out of the security, except normal wear and tear.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

You may be entitled to technically but would definitely get a name as a bad landlord to rent from if you charge for every little thing.
I have been a landlord and I have been a tennant.. normal wear and tear is a very vague concept.

Last edited by notshanarishona on Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
My lease specifies that all damages and repairs will be taken out of the security, except normal wear and tear.

Anything that can be fixed with a regular full paint job, is considered normal wear and tear.
Unless the lease clearly specified that they may not hang anything on the walls, then I don't think you can charge for that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:44 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
You are entitled to technically but would definitely get a name as a bad landlord to rent from if you charge for every little thing.

I dont think charging for real damage is "every little thing". Either way im not concerned because a) these are not people in my community that it would ever even give me a "reputation" and b) im not a career landlord and am not renting again

They left the house in horrible condition, it was not cleaned, there are stains on the windows, floors, walls, carpets need a deep cleaning. Im not harping on that, I will clean it myself. I myself have rented for the past decade and know the kind of condition to return a rental in, and I make sure to get that done no matter what. I would not just leave tons of trash, furniture, damage to walls and move out pretending everything is okay and expect the landlord to just return my deposit while eating the cost of returning everything to a reasonable condition.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:52 pm
amother OP wrote:

Anyone who rents to tenants except for a short-term rental should expect to have to paint when the tenants move out. It's pretty basic.

It's hard for us to know the extent of the damage or whether it's normal wear and tear. But it doesn't make sense to me (yes I'm a landlord) that you did not expect to have to paint when your tenants moved out.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:54 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
Anything that can be fixed with a regular full paint job, is considered normal wear and tear.
Unless the lease clearly specified that they may not hang anything on the walls, then I don't think you can charge for that.

small nail holes: regular wear and tear
giant screws, installed wall fixtures, major areas missing paint or spackle marks: damage

Unless you have a source saying otherwise..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:00 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Anyone who rents to tenants except for a short-term rental should expect to have to paint when the tenants move out. It's pretty basic.

It's hard for us to know the extent of the damage or whether it's normal wear and tear. But it doesn't make sense to me (yes I'm a landlord) that you did not expect to have to paint when your tenants moved out.

Its not a requirement.. If I wanted to repaint to refresh because of scuff marks or fading, that's one thing. I was not planning on doing that for a few years (like I said im not renting it out again), so no I did not expect to paint after they moved out

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Its not a requirement.. If I wanted to repaint to refresh because of scuff marks or fading, that's one thing. I was not planning on doing that for a few years (like I said im not renting it out again), so no I did not expect to paint after they moved out

We can agree to disagree.. Out there it's pretty standard to expect to paint after a tenant that was not short-term.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:06 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
You can usually work it out to keep the security deposit to cover all the repairs.

That's a horrible attitude and I hope you're never my landlord.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:08 pm
Repainting after a tenant is standard

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:15 pm
I’ve rented for the past 20 years and gosh I’m happy you were never my landlord!!

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

It definitely is a requirement to paint after each tenant. The fact that you don't want to rent it out again doesn't mean the previous tenant has to pay to repaint by losing the security deposit

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:16 pm
Most landlords would probably do a quick paint job to refresh the house/apartment if they've had a long term tenant. But I do get that what op seems to be saying is that it will need more than just a quick once over with a brush. Large holes and high levels of wear and tear are not from your average careful tenant.
When we were renting, we were so careful about not hanging things on walls and really considerate of the house. But on the other hand, I also get it's your home and you want to treat it as such.
I would probably get a quote for the work needed and take that off the security deposit.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:25 pm
Ok. I dont understand why everyone feels the need to focus on repainting. I asked for advice on how to figure out my charges, im not looking for everyones judgement on whether or not I should charge it. I know im within my legal rights, I know they left actual damage that is NOT wear and tear. I dont really care if painting is standard, I wasnt planning on doing it and now I have to. So either I hire a team and its a huge expense, or DH does it and it still costs a lot plus days of his time. This is after removing everything from the walls and fixing all the holes and damage, before it needs to be painted.

I also need to deal with getting 15 HEAVY pieces of furniture out of my house, along with piles of trash, old clothes/shoes, empty boxes, old kids toys like bouncers and ride on toys. I also need to clean it top to bottom, wipe stains off floors, walls, windows and get carpets cleaned. Sweep, clean out appliances, literally everything.

I am within my rights to take all the wall repairs and painting, as well as junk removal, out of their security deposit. There is no reason I shouldnt. If I had been planning on painting anyways, I would only charge them for the removal of the tv mount and wall shelves, because those were not installed properly and taking them down is going to cause damage to the sheetrock, and need to be professionally removed. But I wasnt planning on repainting, I was okay living with some scuff marks for a few years until I could afford to repaint properly, which I cant right now. And on top of all this, I am moving out of a rental apartment where I have been already killing myself doing all the cleaning, spackling and repainting (to avoid losing my security)

If someone here rents and decides to be extra nice to their tenants and not take what they are legally owed, fine. But there is nothing wrong with me doing it and literally no reason for me not to. So please stop judging me. If you have any practical advice, I will gladly take it..

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:26 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
Most landlords would probably do a quick paint job to refresh the house/apartment if they've had a long term tenant. But I do get that what op seems to be saying is that it will need more than just a quick once over with a brush. Large holes and high levels of wear and tear are not from your average careful tenant.
When we were renting, we were so careful about not hanging things on walls and really considerate of the house. But on the other hand, I also get it's your home and you want to treat it as such.
I would probably get a quote for the work needed and take that off the security deposit.

When we rented (2 different landlords) we asked if we could hang things on the wall. Both times we were told, yes, it is your home now

OP didn't clarify what she agreed upon with the tenants at the beginning, if they would be allowed to hang things up or not.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries