Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I work in online children’s retail AMA
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Definitely get one for weekday and one for Shabbos. But don’t panic! There’s loooooooads more coming in! Enough for everyone to match their entire family plus their cousuns and neighbors and the rest of Lakewood!

If you want wynken there’s generally only one drop so that would be first of you need to match. But otherwise, wait till closer to Purim so you have a better idea of what’s there.

Thanks! I will do that!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:45 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
What kind of styles do you find to be the most popular?

Here’s the thing. It goes by brand. So if it’s a popular brand it will go no matter how ridiculous the style is.

After that’s by category, Shabbos dresses, lil legs basics and weekday, boys Shabbos sweaters, toddler weekday sets, family co-ords ect.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:52 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
For someone looking to start a new clothing line, do you have any advice?

Are stores excited to take new brands?

Oy. I don’t to extinguish your excitement but in short, no.

Stores sell what goes.

Some brands have massive hatzlocha despite being cheap or expensive or cute or not. That’s what the stores want to carry.

A new brand is a massive massive gamble for a store.

What can you do?

There was a certain hair accessory company that we were using for many many years that was dominating the market.

I didn’t think there would be competition.

Then a new hair Accessory company came and told us try them out and whenever we don’t like they will take back at the end of the season. We tried it and turns out it was very successful. Everyone loved them. Nothing went back to them.

-if you can get a very popular store to carry you then others will want it.

-Be very well prepared. If you want to sell for AW24… you missed it. Try from now to design SS25 and speak to companies early. I have new brands reaching out to us for AW23 and at this point we placed our orders and definitely done and don’t want to hear about new things.

-within all the craziness and competition try to find a niche. Some ideas- a teen line, boys school basics, a Jewish BC/wynknen/piupiuchick/rylee cru type. I’m still waiting for a really fun Jewish brand. Everything is too conservative.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
False.
At minimum it’s 100% markup. Frum brands are generally there. So if it’s a $50 item the wholesale cost is $25.

Designer is between 55-60% markup.

Yes! Absolutely! Well priced brands like Lil Legs will go. And those that need designer will go for that because the are the type to want to best thing first.

Most of the time yes. Bebe organic definitely. The cut and material and much better. Generally 100% cotton, wool ect. European brands in general are better made. Not talking about frum fashions though, they are mostly made in China despite the price tags. And 9/10 times polyester.

So if you’re looking for it to last, then yes. But my kids grow like grass (took this line from a customer thought it was brilliant) and destroy everything they wear so I do not buy anything full price.

9/10 times polyester? How do you figure? Everything I see is cotton

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:56 pm
giftedmom wrote:
9/10 times polyester? How do you figure? Everything I see is cotton

Uh… no. Maybe basic layette and tees. Shabbos dresses, nope.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:57 pm
Which brands do ppl go crazy for? Like what brand will ppl buy anything of, regardless of how cute/trendy it is?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oy. I don’t to extinguish your excitement but in short, no.

Stores sell what goes.

Some brands have massive hatzlocha despite being cheap or expensive or cute or not. That’s what the stores want to carry.

A new brand is a massive massive gamble for a store.

What can you do?

There was a certain hair accessory company that we were using for many many years that was dominating the market.

I didn’t think there would be competition.

Then a new hair Accessory company came and told us try them out and whenever we don’t like they will take back at the end of the season. We tried it and turns out it was very successful. Everyone loved them. Nothing went back to them.

-if you can get a very popular store to carry you then others will want it.

-Be very well prepared. If you want to sell for AW24… you missed it. Try from now to design SS25 and speak to companies early. I have new brands reaching out to us for AW23 and at this point we placed our orders and definitely done and don’t want to hear about new things.

-within all the craziness and competition try to find a niche. Some ideas- a teen line, boys school basics, a Jewish BC/wynknen/piupiuchick/rylee cru type. I’m still waiting for a really fun Jewish brand. Everything is too conservative.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

There’s actually a new brand I just heard about that’s like funky Jewish. Called We The Kids and seems so cool.

Any tips to help get a new brand into stores?! What can I do on my end?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:00 pm
Which kids clothing stores are considered popular? What are the stores that the rest of the clothing retailers trust?

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Uh… no. Maybe basic layette and tees. Shabbos dresses, nope.

99% of vochen clothes and boys clothes. So everything besides shabbos dresses

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:04 pm
When stores place their orders with a brand, how is payment usually collected?

Is there an initial deposit? Do they pay once the shipments arrive? After it’s sold?

What’s normally done?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:04 pm
giftedmom wrote:
99% of vochen clothes and boys clothes. So everything besides shabbos dresses

But you asked about Bebe Organic which is Shabbos.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
But you asked about Bebe Organic which is Shabbos.

Oh I thought you were talking about Frum brands in general

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you have experience with Shopify? I know jobs. I started by making websites for people and it grew from there.
People call me all the time for website help but I don’t have time because I BH work for a few companies already.

Do you have a course to recommend or it’s something to play around with? I’m tech savvy and quick bh and curious about this kind of work.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:41 pm
Can you please encourage the frum websites to post proper descriptions and measurements? So so hard to shop without knowing the basics.
It would save so many returns as ppl would get it right the first time if they'd have decent measurements and fabric details.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:22 pm
Curious how the company you work for does their marketing. If they’re only a website, how do ppl know about them?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:48 pm
you may love your job......but you cant be a loyal worker.....I would not want my worker giving out all these secrets!

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:51 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
you may love your job......but you cant be a loyal worker.....I would not want my worker giving out all these secrets!

Nothing she said was a secret, these are all industry norms.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:52 pm
I don't understand the posters who must buy SS'24 stuff full price now cause if they wait, it'll sell out of their sizes. Do you mean if you want to buy only matching? And do you dress only in matching, every day and Shabbos? Cause otherwise you can buy it on sale, different styles for different kids.
I'll never understand this rush to spend full price in Jewish stores for a new wardrobe for 3, 4, 5+ kids, just to match.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:58 pm
Approximately how many pieces of each item do big online stores take in? (Like a typical shabbos dress? Romper? etc.)

Do most brands go through a distributor?
Who's in charge of delivering the clothes to the stores?

I was also considering starting a clothing brand (a specific niche)... I just received my samples for aw25 and was going to start showing it to stores... Are all stores done making orders or only one? I thought I had till mid February?

** Also, when do stores usually go 30 off, 50 off and 70 off?

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you have experience with Shopify? I know jobs. I started by making websites for people and it grew from there.
People call me all the time for website help but I don’t have time because I BH work for a few companies already.

I know shopify. worked with shopify sites for about 18 months which is not that much, but I'm also tech savvy and can figure out stuff in minutes. and I LOVE kids fashion. I'm jeaous of your job!!

I'm also really really wishing for a remote job that pays more than $20 an hour (the most I've seen so faar)
any leads for me?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics