Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Does anyone’s husband work for the irs
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 3:30 pm
My husband is considering applying. Does anyone have a husband who works for them and can tell me about how they like/don’t like it? Is it suitable for a frum man with a family? Do you find anything particularly hard or nice about the job? Thanks

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 3:41 pm
My husband is a contractor for IRS, and I have a friend who works there. In general, I think the federal government is a great place for frum yidden to work.

From what my husband says, it is a very family friendly environment. They have a good amount of telework, although that might be reduced soon if you live in the DC/Maryland area.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:26 pm
Thanks! Is the pay sustainable for a frum family?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:33 pm
The pay is public information. Search for the GS pay scale. Look for the locality pay where you are located and the level where your husband will potentially start at. That should help you get an idea.
The salary works for us, but we're a family of two..

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! Is the pay sustainable for a frum family?

It really depends on the pay grade he gets and the locality pay. Is he coming in as an experienced professional in the field?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:45 pm
If you know anyone who works for the federal government, you can look up their salary online. Sometimes it’s blocked. Talk to federal employees and to contractors. It’s the same and different all at the same time.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:54 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
It really depends on the pay grade he gets and the locality pay. Is he coming in as an experienced professional in the field?

Yes he’s an accountant at a big four

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:55 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
The pay is public information. Search for the GS pay scale. Look for the locality pay where you are located and the level where your husband will potentially start at. That should help you get an idea.
The salary works for us, but we're a family of two..

Thanks. I have a bunch of kids. I’m concerned it might be limiting and that the max pay ceiling will be too low to sustain a frum family with a bunch of kids

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:00 pm
I can’t imagine working for the government you can make more than 250k unless a really high level position but it comes with excellent benefits incl insurance pension PTO

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:04 pm
Government salaries are not generally so high but the benefits are amazing. Health insurance, pension, life insurance, etc.
3 months paid paternity leave
contracting is not the same at all. I’m a government contractor and I say that my job has all the downsides of working for government with none of the benefits 😆

chestnut

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:06 pm
amother Peach wrote:
Government salaries are not generally so high but the benefits are amazing. Health insurance, pension, life insurance, etc.
3 months paid paternity leave
contracting is not the same at all. I’m a government contractor and I say that my job has all the downsides of working for government with none of the benefits 😆

This.
He won't have a salary competitive with the business world.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:28 pm
I work for the IRS. It's a great job agency re work life balance and flexibility. The pay does max out and its hard to come in at higher grades (grade 14) unless you are promoted internally. The higher steps of grade 13 or anywhere on the 14 scale is competitive with a lot of mid level accounting jobs (per hr worked).

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. I have a bunch of kids. I’m concerned it might be limiting and that the max pay ceiling will be too low to sustain a frum family with a bunch of kids

If its the sole income than it would be hard to sustain a bunch of kids on the max income (assuming he would even come in at the max).
Salary tables:
https://www.opm.gov/policy-dat.....edule

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes he’s an accountant at a big four

If he's at big four why would he want to work for the IRS? He can make a lot more working in a different accounting firm where he can have more of a life than at big four but still make a great salary.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:11 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
If he's at big four why would he want to work for the IRS? He can make a lot more working in a different accounting firm where he can have more of a life than at big four but still make a great salary.

Bec big four is miserable. And he heard amazing things about the work life balance and benefits. The is sounds like u woke strictly business hours and zero take home or busy season. U won’t get that any firm even midsize

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:18 pm
My husband works quasi state/Federal. Federal pay is higher than state level. Yes, I do feel like middle class poor and thats what we are but we do live in Brooklyn. The one thing I can tell you is this, I work as an independent contractor and have zero benefits or job security. The day I work all I get is a little social security. Since my husband is not part of the union insurance is a major struggle for us. I have other relatives that work federal ( They are all internal Auditors like my husband) and the benefits really are worth something. They do get a pay increase here and there and cost of living raise.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Bec big four is miserable. And he heard amazing things about the work life balance and benefits. The is sounds like u woke strictly business hours and zero take home or busy season. U won’t get that any firm even midsize

There is something between working for the Big Four and working in Civil Service.

Don't get me wrong as Civil Service can be great for a variety of reasons but consider that even the US President only gets $400,000 per year Smile

Most CPA's who have the resume to get a job with the Big 4 would be able to exceed that amount after a few years just like most lawyers who have the resume to get hired at a Wall Street firm can make more than that. Realistically if they are willing to put in the hours, they could make at least $1 million if not more with bonuses.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

My husband works for govt (not an accountant) and it’s true that there’s no take home work and that the benefits and work life balance is amazing. He’s home by 5 pm. But he’s making a modest income. For us it works- I also have a job, we have some investments etc but we are far far from being wealthy or even comfortable. We have to budget carefully and keep an eye on the future.

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:51 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
My husband works for govt (not an accountant) and it’s true that there’s no take home work and that the benefits and work life balance is amazing. He’s home by 5 pm. But he’s making a modest income. For us it works- I also have a job, we have some investments etc but we are far far from being wealthy or even comfortable. We have to budget carefully and keep an eye on the future.

Same

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 9:00 pm
amother Beige wrote:
There is something between working for the Big Four and working in Civil Service.

Don't get me wrong as Civil Service can be great for a variety of reasons but consider that even the US President only gets $400,000 per year Smile

Most CPA's who have the resume to get a job with the Big 4 would be able to exceed that amount after a few years just like most lawyers who have the resume to get hired at a Wall Street firm can make more than that. Realistically if they are willing to put in the hours, they could make at least $1 million if not more with bonuses.

Where are u getting that from? I really don’t know any accountants making anywhere near that money
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics