Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
You know those prize brochures
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:25 pm
The ones that kids have to fundraise for Tzedaka and they get to choose what they’d like for it

What prizes do your kids go for ?
What would they love to see listed ?
What would you prefer they go for ?

Also curious to hear your thoughts about the topic in general but please answer the questions as well

InnerPrincess

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:28 pm
Sorry, can't answer those questions at all.

Personally, I think its completely out of hand.

The ratio of money collected to what is actually getting collected is beyond.

Some yeshivos have just a small incentive with is amazing, but most of the other organizations? Completely ridiculous.

We're basically sending kids door to door to collect for their segway/laptop/gift card.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:29 pm
I prefer that they don't exist at all. Don't turn kids into fundraisers. It's not age appropriate.
Often parents end up having to give the money so the kid can get a prize because they don't want their kid collecting.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:38 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I prefer that they don't exist at all. Don't turn kids into fundraisers. It's not age appropriate.
Often parents end up having to give the money so the kid can get a prize because they don't want their kid collecting.

We were never allowed to go collecting for these. My mother was not interested in us knocking on doors in the neighborhood (potentially strangers) and asking for money. She would give us some money, we would call grandparents and family members and ask for some, and that was it

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:45 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
We were never allowed to go collecting for these. My mother was not interested in us knocking on doors in the neighborhood (potentially strangers) and asking for money. She would give us some money, we would call grandparents and family members and ask for some, and that was it

It's very different nowadays. The brochures are much more extravagant and the kids have much higher expectations. They're not ok with the parents just giving them $25 to get the cheapest prize

And not everyone has grandparents and family members who are able to keep giving

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:52 pm
I have super mixed feelings on this. My boys yeshiva has them collect for the yeshiva and in the beginning, I did not love it. I think the prizes are unrealistic for most kids to earn. Some stuff is so much money raised I wonder if more then 1 or 2 kids a grade even earn it. And those kids anyway probably already have the item.

But I think it taught my son some really good social skills like how to look someone in the eye. How to make a pitch. How to present himself. These are great things for a kid to learn and this past year I asked if his class was into it and he said most had lost interest. So it was really just a few years before they wanted to spend their time on other things. Hes in 7th and the collecting started in 4th grade.

Also for a kid that may have amazing social skills and not great academic skills this is a way to really shine. Some kids may not do great in the classroom but can strike up a conversation with everyone on their street. I learned to appreciate this is a way to feel successful. BH its for a good cause.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
The ones that kids have to fundraise for Tzedaka and they get to choose what they’d like for it

Also curious to hear your thoughts about the topic in general but please answer the questions as well

Are you putting together such a booklet and crowdsourcing for ideas?

newmother

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:56 pm
I wish we could get rid of the idea of children fundraising! It is not age appropriate, it's potentially dangerous and often puts kids in the predicament of "borrowing" from the collected money.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:58 pm
From a chinuch perspective it is wrong.

We collect and give tzedaka to help the needy, not to get a kickback

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:01 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don’t let my children go collecting. At most, I allow them to ask their grandparents or a couple close relatives on the phone but I strongly resent how these organizations hype it up and get the kids excited about it without asking parents if we are ok with it.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:09 pm
OP I think the answer is that parents hate seeing our kids used as schnorrers. These prices on these catalogs are completely out of hand. These organizations pay professionals a very high salary to do fundraising, let them do their job and leave our kids out of it.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:15 pm
For I elementary school kids I say that adults get to decide how to spend their tzedaka money and it’s not appropriate for kids to bother adults to ask them. They use the booklets as a wish lists for birthdays and Chanukah so for that I find it helpful.
High school collecting for their own yeshiva I’m more comfortable with. Or maybe just resigned that it’s a system I can’t change.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:17 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
Are you putting together such a booklet and crowdsourcing for ideas?

Yes.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:17 pm
I despise these fundraisers. My children already know that we don't participate in them. I won't let them go door to door and I resent the parents who send their kids to my house. All our kids' schools and camps participate in these contests at the same time, so it's very irritating to get asked over and over and over again. How many times a year can you have your children call up their relatives to ask for money, especially when all the other grandchildren are collecting as well? I also prefer that my children don't learn the lesson that we give tzedaka in order to earn a prize.

I may sound curmudgeonly, but the more I get inundated with these campaigns the less I feel inclined to donate. Send me an envelope once or twice a year and I'm happy to send you a nice check. Involve my children or spam my phone or inbox and I will either stop donating entirely or decrease my donation significantly.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:31 pm
Add me to the haters.
But even when we've participated, my kids never "went for" a particular prize goal. They'd look at the menu, realize right away that some things are going to be well out of their reach, then they'd do whatever fundraising they were going to do anyway (call first degree relatives, sometimes a bake sale or the like with friends) and see what they get to. I have also advised them in advance that these prizes tend to be a lot junkier than they look, and it took them maybe one or two campaigns to realize that I was very right, so after that any fundraising they did was a lot more "lishma."

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:31 pm
amother OP wrote:

Books books books
Games too

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:33 pm
The kids definitely want the big stuff that their parents won't usually buy them. Segway, electronics, sound systems....
I don't let my kids do this. Purim they collect for their yeshiva and that's it. They know that I'll get them whatever they "need" but all the extras they can earn by working on a behavior or middah. And if we say no to something specific, then winning it won't help. It's not coming thru the door. We said no to electric scooters cuz it's just too dangerous to drive, especially in my neighborhood

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:39 pm
I think it's outright theft.
Taking from tzedakah money in order to pay for the cost of the prize
Coercing and convincing relatives
Parents who may not be able to afford it
It's also a huge ripoff especially when these things come from China or Amazon for a fraction of the price. My parents never let me do it and I won't let my kids

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:39 pm
I'd rather not get these booklets as it gives my kids ideas and then I dump it. I wish it would stop. I never let my kids collect for these organizations. Most they collect from is there yeshivah

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:41 pm
We do get 1000s of submissions a year
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children