Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:57 am

[personal links against rules and has been removed. Mod]

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:58 am
I signed up after reading about it on imamother and for my first book last week. It’s adorable! Wish they were board books, my one year old would rip the book if I gave it to her. Going to have to save them until she’s older.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:59 am
Are you allowed to post links that give you a kick back on here? Or this that against advertising rules?

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:00 am
Many of these books are not appropriate for some families. They're not geared towards frum yidden. I got one with shaimos, one with a picture of santa in it, and the list goes on. We cancelled it very quickly.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:02 am
You have to be really careful. Most of the "Jewish content" is garbage and very cringe.
I don't know what the younger division books are like but the older ones you have to screen very carefully.
Honestly, even though I was signed up for a short while and enjoyed their hosting perks (financial reimbursement), I wouldn't encourage others to sign up without a disclaimer.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:03 am
amother Crocus wrote:
Are you allowed to post links that give you a kick back on here? Or this that against advertising rules?

I was wondering about that too. Op if this is a private link where they give you gift cards for every family that signs up I think you need to be transparent about that.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:06 am
amother RosePink wrote:
Many of these books are not appropriate for some families. They're not geared towards frum yidden. I got one with shaimos, one with a picture of santa in it, and the list goes on. We cancelled it very quickly.

A book is considered to have Jewish content if they used the word "rugelach" or if they mention a Bubby or Zeidy. Or if they eat challah Friday night while watching tv.
You get the drift.
Buyer beware.

kiwi strawberry

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:16 am
Came here to say the same thing. The authors are not frum and there is hardly anything frum about the books.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:25 am
Really? I have not had an issue with any of the books. I don’t like them all but many are wonderful. It’s free- if you don’t like a particular book you can give it away or toss it. No one is demanding you read it to your kids

scruffy

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:27 am
We get them and I keep about half. I've gotten some really nice ones.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:28 am
asmileaday wrote:
A book is considered to have Jewish content if they used the word "rugelach" or if they mention a Bubby or Zeidy. Or if they eat challah Friday night while watching tv.
You get the drift.
Buyer beware.

This is quite rude. This is an organization that people give millions of dollars to. Their target audience is not frum jews on imamother, it’s Jews who are not very affiliated. They do important work. What book has them eating challah in front of a tv? Buyer beware is ridiculous because it’s free and you can cancel at any time.

kenz

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:46 am
tichellady wrote:
This is quite rude. This is an organization that people give millions of dollars to. Their target audience is not frum jews on imamother, it’s Jews who are not very affiliated. They do important work. What book has them eating challah in front of a tv? Buyer beware is ridiculous because it’s free and you can cancel at any time.

It’s a nice program for those it targets. It’s definitely not for typical frum households, regardless of leaning. Some of the books are harmless but some are downright inappropriate. When I canceled after a few months, I received an email asking why. I explained that I have a right-wing home and after receiving some books from them I don’t feel that I’m their target audience and I don’t want to waste their funding. They sent me a very nice thank you in response. They definitely did not try to convince me otherwise.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:48 am
amother Salmon wrote:
I signed up after reading about it on imamother and for my first book last week. It’s adorable! Wish they were board books, my one year old would rip the book if I gave it to her. Going to have to save them until she’s older.

For some reason the first book is paper. Most are board books. Not like say, a Corduroy or 5 Little Monkeys quality, but thick card board.

I have 2 toddlers. Most books are fine. Counting themed about Purim/Rosh Hashana/Sukkos.

Can I guess that the first book was Joseph's Overcoat?

asmileaday

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:48 am
tichellady wrote:

Chill.
The eating challah Friday night while watching tv is exactly what was in one of the books I read. I'm not making stuff up.
I'm pointing out that many books have no Jewish values or lessons, they're just considered Jewish because of some words mentioned.

Why are you taking it so personal?

I didn't say anyone is forcing anyone to read it. I'm just bringing awareness to exercise caution before giving it to your kids.

You're nitpicking and yes "buyer" isn't the correct term. But I'm still advising beware.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:52 am
tichellady wrote:

Why is it rude just because people give millions of dollars to it? It is meant for the unaffiliated and is a reform take on judaism. Those are facts. I read many of their books most are not appropriate for an orthodox home. I'd rather my kids read secular books with no religion than an inappropriate portrayal of our religion. It's very confusing for kids. I have no problem with it existing but it doesn't really belong in frum homes.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:52 am
kenz wrote:
It’s a nice program for those it targets. It’s definitely not for typical frum households, regardless of leaning. Some of the books are harmless but some are downright inappropriate. When I canceled after a few months, I received an email asking why. I explained that I have a right-wing home and after receiving some books from them I don’t feel that I’m their target audience and I don’t want to waste their funding. They sent me a very nice thank you in response. They definitely did not try to convince me otherwise.

Yes. I didn't say ALL books are inappropriate. I just said be aware and don't give it blindly to your kids.

Of course it's not targeted for the frum household. I know that.

It's just that the op and the first response made it seem like it's a nice, appropriate, free book program without mentioning the need to censor.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:56 am
Dolly Parton has a free book program in some areas and I found all the books to be very appropriate.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:57 am
amother Crocus wrote:
...snip

I'd rather my kids read secular books with no religion than an inappropriate portrayal of our religion. It's very confusing for kids. I have no problem with it existing but it doesn't really belong in frum homes.

I was trying to figure out how to say this as gently as possible but then decided to skip it. But now that you said it, I agree.
My kids read all sorts of non Jewish books.

kenz

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:04 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Yes. I didn't say ALL books are inappropriate. I just said be aware and don't give it blindly to your kids.

Of course it's not targeted for the frum household. I know that.

It's just that the op and the first response made it seem like it's a nice, appropriate, free book program without mentioning the need to censor.

Yes, I was agreeing with you. I was responding to tichellady.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:08 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I was trying to figure out how to say this as gently as possible but then decided to skip it. But now that you said it, I agree.
My kids read all sorts of non Jewish books.

I agree. However, the inappropriateness for my family wasn't just because of religious issues. Why do you need to draw women with bra straps showing in a children's book? The books from the Dolly Parton program don't have such issues.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics