Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Growth hormone shots
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:02 pm
What age did your son start?
I’ve been taking my son to top endocrinologist in chop for years and he’s just starting stim test and mri process this year, son is already 14. From what I’m reading it takes several years of shots and only works till 16. I’m so nervous! Why did he drag this out so long?!

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:03 pm
I had the same with my daughter they dragged it for years. Finally started at 12. I hope it works at point. It’s so frustrating!

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:06 pm
I am surprised you're starting this late. But it depends on your child. If he's a late bloomer in terms of puberty, then you should be fine.
(FYI, I don't have personal experience. We explored the possibility for our son but because he is not growth hormone deficient and it's totally caused by genetics, we decided not to do the shots. We do have relatives that did do the shots, though.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:15 pm
his bone age is about a year younger.
can anyone share what age started? how many years did you give shots? how many inches per year?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:19 pm
Must’ve not been such a top endo after all.
I took my son first at 2, he was borderline. Took him back at nine and he was sent for testing right away. Started at 9 1/2 and bh seeing great progress.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:25 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Must’ve not been such a top endo after all.
I took my son first at 2, he was borderline. Took him back at nine and he was sent for testing right away. Started at 9 1/2 and bh seeing great progress.

Unless he is so top and he realizes many ppl over prescribe hormones and it wasn't necessary in this case. I have no idea but that can why he didn't do it until now. (Speaking as a mom of a boy on hormones since 12).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:38 pm
Seeing Dr Alter at Chop... was told he is top
He kept saying my son is late bloomer, just starting pubery now... but bone age is not that much younger than chronological age. taking him since he is 9.
did anyone have similar expericene and can tell me how it went from here?
Please do not post just to say , its too late and should have started earlier. I am nervous and just looking if anyone has experience to share. I did whatever I could and listened to endo and pediatrician.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:40 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
Unless he is so top and he realizes many ppl over prescribe hormones and it wasn't necessary in this case. I have no idea but that can why he didn't do it until now. (Speaking as a mom of a boy on hormones since 12).

He should’ve done testing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:20 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
He should’ve done testing

Did lots of testing through blood tests but just did hgh test

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:46 pm
You should start seeing results immediately, within about a month.
But you also need to be realistic. If you're hoping your son will be 6 feet tall, that isn't likely to happen. There are plenty of short men who live happy and successful lives.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:54 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
You should start seeing results immediately, within about a month.
But you also need to be realistic. If you're hoping your son will be 6 feet tall, that isn't likely to happen. There are plenty of short men who live happy and successful lives.

My kid is on it for 6 months. I’ve seen nothing so far…what did you see in a month?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:18 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
My kid is on it for 6 months. I’ve seen nothing so far…what did you see in a month?

I also did not see instant results with ds but the Endo was happy. IDK what that poster meant but just chiming in to say my experience was similar to yours.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:32 pm
My son started the whole process around age 8 or so... first we tried diet changes, adding appetite stimulant (he just didn't want to eat so pediatrician thought it was that.) At almost 9 they did a blood test, X ray and we were able to get referral to the pediatric endocrinologist. It took a few months for the appointment- decided to not go to "top" because wouldn't get in for like 8 or 9 months. My son then had the stim test (another wait for insurance approval). Then results. Then Brain MRI. Insurance approval took time. Then got the shots right before 10th birthday.
He grew a few cm after a month. We could tell as he finally fit size 8 extra slim pants (he is 10 mind you). Then of course our shot was out of stock, took over a month to get a new type approved by insurance because they were refusing. Started again and my kid is slowly growing.

We were told the first few months are the most dramatic growth but it is encouraging for my kid who needs them daily! We were also told to expect extra centimeters, not inches, per year. But anything helps. It also is not just cosmetic because lack of growth hormone also affects other areas like muscle development.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:43 pm
We also used Dr Alter. I found him to be on the conservative side. Monitored my son for years until he ordered more thorough tests. He was on gh from age 13-16. He also kept him on a lower dose than other kids I knew to be taking (who were seeing other drs). At the end of the day he grew, but not that much more than projected without gh

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:31 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
We also used Dr Alter. I found him to be on the conservative side. Monitored my son for years until he ordered more thorough tests. He was on gh from age 13-16. He also kept him on a lower dose than other kids I knew to be taking (who were seeing other drs). At the end of the day he grew, but not that much more than projected without gh

I wish I knew this years ago. I wonder why everyone recommended him? Do you mind sharing dose information so I can know what to ask for? Does brand matter?
If anyone can share any info about different types it would be helpful

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wish I knew this years ago. I wonder why everyone recommended him? Do you mind sharing dose information so I can know what to ask for? Does brand matter?

My son is on skytrofa and so far doing great on it. He grew two shoe sizes within weeks and this winter he grew a size mid season for the first time ever.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:37 pm
amother OP wrote:

Conservative (maybe cautious?) doesn’t mean he isn’t “top”. I don’t remember dosages, it’s a few years later. I do believe, (like everything in life) there’s a certain amount of hishtadlus we can take towards our health. We can try to go to the best doctors, take the medicines (shots) but ultimately it’s up to Hashem.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 10:50 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Conservative (maybe cautious?) doesn’t mean he isn’t “top”. I don’t remember dosages, it’s a few years later. I do believe, (like everything in life) there’s a certain amount of hishtadlus we can take towards our health. We can try to go to the best doctors, take the medicines (shots) but ultimately it’s up to Hashem.

Thank you! This is what I needed to hear! I did the best I could with the guidance I had from my dr. It is in Hashem’s hand!

Librarian

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:30 pm
Delete

Last edited by Librarian on Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Librarian

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
What age did your son start?
I’ve been taking my son to top endocrinologist in chop for years and he’s just starting stim test and mri process this year, son is already 14. From what I’m reading it takes several years of shots and only works till 16. I’m so nervous! Why did he drag this out so long?!

My son started age 13.5 and stopped at 17. He grew another inch after he stopped as the endocrinologist predicted. His reached a height of 5'8.5". Predicted height with ght was 5'7-5'8 and without was 5'2. Tnku HKBH for ght!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics