Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Husband has less needs than me

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 1:43 am
I am presently in israel. The big question I get is when am I making Aliyah?All my kids including my first grandchild live in Israel. I have at least 5 good friends who live here, tons of my husband’s family are here as well. I have a job back home that I mostly love and sometimes really get frustrated with. I have no family on my side, my husband has his elderly aging parents , two sisters, nieces and nephews. I have a few close friends all of whom are thinking of or have started Aliyah plans. ( so no worries of not having them here).
What’s holding me back?
Not being able to afford housing. I want to be at the most twenty minutes by public transport from Jerusalem center city.
I want to work but not back breaking work. So who will hire a 60 plus woman?
Affording all the stuff we will need to replace
We have no savings
The petty things:
Afraid that my husband will not replace all my kitchen toys that I cherish ( they are so old and I need new, but you have to understand my husband, that’s whole topic on it’s own)
Not being able to have certain ingredients that I love.
That my husband is willing to live in Beersheba or as far north as they will let him. ( not me)
He can live happily in a one room apartment with the paint peeling and the floors coming up ( not me)
He is a hoarder and all his junk takes presidence over mine
He is a simple dude,
I am pretty simple too
But I want to be comfortable
how does one do this with no savings?

zaq

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 10:06 am
You don't want to hear this but I will give it to you straight: Living in Israel is a privilege AND A SACRIFICE. If you're going to go there expecting--nay, demanding-- to live on the same material plane as you did in the US, forget it. Stay put and content yourself with the annual visit to see the family. OTOH if it is really your dream to live in Israel, whether your reasons are religious, political, or social, be prepared to sacrifice. No more than 20 minutes from center city Jerusalem is a DESIRE, not a need. The latest in kitchen appliances is a DESIRE, not a need. Even if you were the wife of a Kohen in the time of the Temple, you wouldn't have NEEDED to live 20 minutes from Jerusalem, as your menfolks would have been on duty only on regalim and during their twice-annual scheduled shift in the mikdash. The rest of the time most Kohanim would have been living elsewhere to serve the needs of the people country-wide.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 3:08 pm
OP, do you own a home now? Can you sell your home? You may have to look a bit further than 20 minutes from jerusalem, but it is doable. What is your housing budget? Gush Etzion is about 30 minutes by bus.
Can you work remotely? if not, you can speak with nefesh bnefesh and see what they suggest. Also, what is your profession? Maybe those of us lviving here can help you figure something out job wise.
Kitchen gadgets - you will replace the ones you NEED.
You will get used to the new Israeli ingredients.

As zaq said, to make ones life in Israel, there are sacrifices, but if you really want to make your life here, the things that you mentioned, the little things, will work themselves out. The bigger things, housing and jobs, you should look into. But that can also be worked out.

But you have to want to be here. Ive been here just over 21 years. I dont even think about those small things. My parents made aliyah when they were 60. They got right into it. Spices, kitchen gadgets and all Smile It is 100% doable. But you have to want to be here more than you want those things.

tree of life

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 3:42 pm
Beit shemesh on 600 bus takes thirty minutes
You can American products here
How much appliances do you need
We have bh everything here apartments are smaller so you will only keep what u really need
Hatzlacha rabba living here best gift ever

israelimom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:26 am
Get to know different communities and areas in Israel. You might find that you are comfortable in a peripheral region and do not need to be in such close proximity to the center of Jerusalem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions