Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
I hate Doona!
Previous  1  2  3  4

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:58 am
I have a very nice car seat that has comfortable inserts for newborns. I have become a pro at quick, smooth buckling and unbuckling. We have a large car, so I use my UPPAbaby. For her first 4months I used the yoyo. It easily fit on the floor in front of the car seat.
It's another minute, but soo worth it IMO. The Doona only saves you time at the transfer in and out of the car. That's only a minute or two. The rest of the time it has absolutely no advantage.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Here's the reason why I'm doubting it. If we go away for shabbas/yt I will only take along this, right? Which means baby will be in it throughout the day.

Same with work every day. If I drop off baby to babysitter, Baby will be in doona all day???

My nine year old daughter made it very clear, she wants a baby because she wants to push her around in a doona🤣🤣🤣

I live in lakewood and have a doona because we hardly walk anywhere, we are just in and out of the car and it is a super convenient car seat. That being said, it is a car seat, not a stroller. We leave a pack 'n play by the babysitter and make sure the babysitter doesn't leave the baby in the doona at all during the day. I also keep a compact stroller in my trunk...

Soft

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:53 pm
I have the evenflo dual shyft ride. AMA!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 2:17 pm
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

A few mentioned the yoyo or other carriage and they latch the car seat to it. How does it work? Why would it be necessary if the yoyo is a carriage on its own?

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 2:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

A few mentioned the yoyo or other carriage and they latch the car seat to it. How does it work? Why would it be necessary if the yoyo is a carriage on its own?

For a younger baby (under 6 months) who is not ready for a regular seat, also if you don't want to transfer the baby out of the car seat (sleeping, bad weather etc)

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 2:24 pm
Yoyo with adapters act like snap and go. Have benefit of transferring sleeping baby still in car seat fir quick errand if need yet have choice of your preferred car seat. It is an extra step compared to just taking Doona out if car and top part of adapter needs to be removed for yoyo to close all the way (we can fit in trunk with adapter on and not completely closing stroller when needed)

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 8:13 pm
amother Quince wrote:
I got a snap n go & just ignored the stares and remarks. You'd need a regular stroller regardless. A doona is a carseat & not meant to be used as a regular stroller.

Why in the world would anyone get stares and remarks bc of your stroller/carseat? That's nuts. Don't attach your self esteem to a carseat please!

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 8:20 pm
I work in a daycare. 95% of the babies come in doonas, the rest come in snap n go. No one cares.
I promise you NO ONE CARES

I never bought a doona. I keep a carseat in the car and put baby in the shopping cart or a stroller (sleeping baby could always stay in carseat and be put in the cart)

The people staring at you are probably spacing out thinking about what to make for supper

m-u-a-mama

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:29 pm
Soft wrote:
I have the evenflo dual shyft ride. AMA!

Is it lighter then the doona ?
How much does it cost?
Maybe we shld start a s/o I have so many qs!

GLUE

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:42 pm
m-u-a-mama wrote:
Is it lighter then the doona ?
How much does it cost?
Maybe we shld start a s/o I have so many qs!

Hope this helps
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....22726

m-u-a-mama

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:43 pm
GLUE wrote:
Hope this helps
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....22726

Haha whoops Ty!

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:40 am
amother Papaya wrote:
I don’t hate them but they’re not good for babies. My hospital doesn’t allow you to do the car seat test on a doona. And I’ve heard from friends whose kids needed PT that the physical therapists HATE doonas. They say that it’s really bad for the baby’s posture

My hospital (NYU) had no issue doing the car seat test with the Doona (tbh it was 4.5 years ago)

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 6:33 am
amother OP wrote:

Im not sure what youre asking.

You have kids, are you asking why you dont want to take your sleeping baby out of its car seat to put it into a regular stroller while you drop off the dry cleaning and them transfer the baby back to the car seat again?

While I dont think the doona's upgrade to not have to get your wheels from your rrunk (chas vsholom, the horror, who can imagine such a thing!) Is that life altering, the invention of making the infant carseat portsble and able to snap onto wheels (whicb is over 30 years old) IS life altering and makes going out and about with s small baby somewhat possible, and sometimes easy.

The yoyo and other stroller systems can be a regular stroller when you want, but also can be wheels for your infant seat so your baby can stay sleeping.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:04 am
amother Quince wrote:
I got a snap n go & just ignored the stares and remarks. You'd need a regular stroller regardless. A doona is a carseat & not meant to be used as a regular stroller.

This. The snap n go has a large basket. Doona has nothing. And it’s much cheaper and lighter

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 12:46 pm
I bought a Graco SnugRide SnugFit 35 DLX Infant Car Seat for my last baby. It's the third time I bought a Graco infant car seat and it is a huge improvement over the last one I owned. One of the best upgrades since my last car seat is the base. The latch installs so easily and can also be removed in about 30 seconds or less. It has an anti rebound bar and a new technology for installation that is tight and easy. The car seat straps adjust easily and there is an additional insert for newborns. I really feel like my baby is so safe and secure in it from newborn until 35 lbs. I have a Graco snap 'n go base and that is also great with a basket, cupholder, etc.

And yes, I live in Lakewood, and I am very much in the minority but I would not use a Doona unless I had a very valid reason. (I even had someone offer me a gently used one for free and I politely declined.)

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 12:53 pm
Haha I also have a snap n go in Lakewood. BH I am capable of buying a Doona (or even several!) but I don’t like it at all. The pitying looks I get when I push it! I think it’s hilarious. My teenager son even commented that it looks “old fashioned.” I’ve been using a snap n go for 15+ years now (obviously not the same one) and it’s the best.

Next time all you snap n go pushers see me, say hi LOL

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 12:58 pm
We also mostly drive to get places and we don't use the eruv so no shabbos walks. We had the best luck with the uppa baby minu for times we needed the stroller and most errands we just put the car seat into the shopping cart like the grocery store, home depot, target any big store that has carts. Also babywearing is great for going to stores when they are tiny. Keeps them away from germy people who want to get too close.

Once they baby can sit, you can ditch the car seat and they sit in the cart themself. But had 5 babies no doona and was really really okay.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:24 pm
I love the combo of city mini frame and a reclining infant car seat.
While driving the car seat cannot be reclined. But if you are out shopping you can recline the car seat and the baby is comfortable.
I like the city series because the are tall and the baby is closer to me.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:07 am
amother Mocha wrote:
I love the combo of city mini frame and a reclining infant car seat.
While driving the car seat cannot be reclined. But if you are out shopping you can recline the car seat and the baby is comfortable.
I like the city series because the are tall and the baby is closer to me.

Which car seat is reclinable? Have the maxi cosi with bugaboo base and don’t mind the extra few seconds to fold/unfold/throw in the trunk. I love the fact that it’s sturdy and can handle a normal big diaper bag and my errands bags in the basket

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:35 am
Quote:
Which car seat is reclinable?

Its been a minute since my last baby and I am sure there are newer and better models now.
I googled reclining infant car seat and got some really good options.
https://www.maxi-cosi.com/c/in.....l-car
https://en.pegperego.com/store.....6DX19
https://www.mumsnet.com/review.....2b1ff
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics