Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
New neighbors play the drums
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:37 pm
They moved in a month ago. Idk if it’s new or they just moved it from their previous house. It’s very loud. Dh thinks they should get an electric drum set instead. Wwyd

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
They moved in a month ago. Idk if it’s new or they just moved it from their previous house. It’s very loud. Dh thinks they should get an electric drum set instead. Wwyd

Unless they play at night or early morning, then there's nothing you can do.
DH doesn’t get a say if they should get an electric set or not.....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:29 am
Isn’t it rude to play very loud drums in a private house in a quite street?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:31 am
amother OP wrote:

No, not during regular daytime hours.
If your windows are open, try keeping them closed.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:32 am
amother Lemon wrote:
No, not during regular daytime hours.
If your windows are open, try keeping them closed.

This. Not so fun for the neighbors but not rude. If it’s late or early that you can ask…

agreer

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:35 am
Not during normal daylight hours.
They can do whatever they want on private property.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:38 am
amother OP wrote:

No. My dd plays drums. We live in an attached rental and the only time I make her stop is if she starts playing late at night.

Maybe get white noise machines.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:09 am
Honestly, I do think it’s rude. I think doing anything deliberate and unnecessary that impacts your neighbours’ enjoyment of their own homes is rude. Babies crying, not rude. Playing the drums or sax, rude.

I am not from America and do not subscribe to the “my individual rights trump everyone else’s comfort” mindset. I think it creates an unpleasant society.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:16 am
amother Tulip wrote:
Honestly, I do think it’s rude. I think doing anything deliberate and unnecessary that impacts your neighbours’ enjoyment of their own homes is rude. Babies crying, not rude. Playing the drums or sax, rude.

I am not from America and do not subscribe to the “my individual rights trump everyone else’s comfort” mindset. I think it creates an unpleasant society.

This is a good point. It's cultural. Where do you live, op? In America it would be considered acceptable during daytime hours to play drums, and probably rude to ask them to stop.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:17 am
amother Tulip wrote:

So someone that plays drums shouldn’t practice?

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:46 am
Oof, that's rough. I agree there is not a lot you can do.

Do you share a wall with them (is this an apartment situation or are we talking about physical separate houses)?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:48 am
We live in an apartment and the neighbors directly above us have drums. It drives us mad when their son plays right over our heads. I do think it's rude and inappropriate for an apartment, but I bite my tongue unless he plays after 8 p.m. when my kids are in bed or on a fast day when we're trying to rest. He does accommodate when I call to complain.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:20 am
DrMom wrote:
Oof, that's rough. I agree there is not a lot you can do.

Do you share a wall with them (is this an apartment situation or are we talking about physical separate houses)?

OP says it's a private house.
So there's really nothing they can do. They're entitled to play drums at a normal hour.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:32 am
That is so annoying! A drum could really drive one nuts! I had a neighbor like that and I literally felt the vibrations sometimes! It was so so so nerve wrecking!
There may not be much you can do but it's possible that your neighbor doesn't realize that the noise gets all the way to your house. My neighbor was right above my apartment.
Can you borrow a drum from someone and have your kids play it in so she'll see that the sound travels farther than she may realize? and she'll understand what it feels like to you when her kids play the drum.
You can even call her up to ask her if she's ok with having your kids drumming. Maybe she'll realize that it's nice to be considerate about it.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:59 am
groisamomma wrote:
So someone that plays drums shouldn’t practice?

I guess they can but it's also normal for neighbors to be resentful.

If a neighbor moved in right next door to you and played drums all day with their windows open, (which is within their rights) you'd feel pretty aggravated.

There's a fine line between something that is legal but not neighborly.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:07 am
My younger brother played the drums and my parents made him keep the drum set in the basement and only practice during the day. I don't think the neighbors ever complained.

Drums may be loud, but they don't hurt the ears with a missed note the way other instruments do. Be glad you're not living to a beginner violinist!

Plonis bas Plonis

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:31 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
That is so annoying! A drum could really drive one nuts! I had a neighbor like that and I literally felt the vibrations sometimes! It was so so so nerve wrecking!
There may not be much you can do but it's possible that your neighbor doesn't realize that the noise gets all the way to your house. My neighbor was right above my apartment.
Can you borrow a drum from someone and have your kids play it in so she'll see that the sound travels farther than she may realize? and she'll understand what it feels like to you when her kids play the drum.
You can even call her up to ask her if she's ok with having your kids drumming. Maybe she'll realize that it's nice to be considerate about it.

If you start playing the drums or ask your neighbor if you can, you may be giving the wrong impression that you are fine with her son playing.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:31 am
Hashem gave us electric drums and headphones for this reason. Do you really want on your conscience that you bothered people, kept babies awake, cause headaches or migraines etc. Is this what Hashem wants from us? to be so selfish? The drummer can achieve the same practice and enjoyment by using the headphones. Can your child play in a studio or school or music room somewhere?
Think of the schar he will get for this consideration.
I remember Rabbanim waiting till erev Sukkos to build their sukka so as not to bother neighbors. It was held to their zechus.
Face it , drums (and cymbals) are noisy, annoying and painful to the ears.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:58 am
[quote="B'Syata D'Shmya"]Hashem gave us electric drums and headphones for this reason. Do you really want on your conscience that you bothered people, kept babies awake, cause headaches or migraines etc. Is this what Hashem wants from us? to be so selfish? The drummer can achieve the same practice and enjoyment by using the headphones. Can your child play in a studio or school or music room somewhere?
Think of the schar he will get for this consideration.
I remember Rabbanim waiting till erev Sukkos to build their sukka so as not to bother neighbors. It was held to their zechus.
Face it , drums (and cymbals) are noisy, annoying and painful to the ears.[/quote]

1. I'm triggered when we try to use logic and reason to why hashem gave us xyz. Unless the entire picture makes sense then we can't choose bits and pieces that seem logical. Meaning when we know why hashem gave cancer, miscarriages, divorce, and abuse, then you can explain why hashem gave electric drums.

2. A drummer is not able to achieve everything with an electric set. They can't play live music for people. They can't practice in a band with others.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
1. I'm triggered when we try to use logic and reason to why hashem gave us xyz. Unless the entire picture makes sense then we can't choose bits and pieces that seem logical. Meaning when we know why hashem gave cancer, miscarriages, divorce, and abuse, then you can explain why hashem gave electric drums.

2. A drummer is not able to achieve everything with an electric set. They can't play live music for people. They can't practice in a band with others.

Its an expression and feel free to ignore and move on. ( the topic at hand is drumming that bothers neighbors, which may be a form of abuse, loud noises can harm fetus's hearing * is univerally annoying - no different than if a terrible stench was emanating from a neighbors home or other unpleasant stimuli).

I also wrote that they can also practice in music rooms that are built for this purpose.

* https://www.thebump.com/a/feta.....nancy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette