Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Children's scholarship fund - update
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:22 am
I've been applying and receiving funds from the CSF for quite a few years now. My 5 yr old, is in pre-1-a and currently receiving the scholarship. Now that I'm trying to renew (going into grade 1), it's asking me to upload her birth certificate and report card. I shouldn't have to do that. Has anyone had this issue and manage to resolve it ? How?

I really need this scholarship - I can't afford to lose it!

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:55 am
Unrelated but what is this fund?
Can you share more about it?
How much do they give?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:58 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
How much do they give?

Your school has to be signed up with them. It's a program for children coming from public school and enrolling in private school. Any headstart program is considered ps and eligible.

But you must apply the year your child is transitioning from headstart to pre-1-a.

teachkids

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:22 am
Why not just upload the birth certificate and report card? It's reasonable that they want to double check this money is going to a real kid

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:24 am
amother OP wrote:
I've been applying and receiving funds from the CSF for quite a few years now. My 5 yr old, is in pre-1-a and currently receiving the scholarship. Now that I'm trying to renew (going into grade 1), it's asking me to upload her birth certificate and report card. I shouldn't have to do that. Has anyone had this issue and manage to resolve it ? How?

I really need this scholarship - I can't afford to lose it!

Why not?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:25 am
I have that too, and haven't had to do so in the past. I don't mind uploading the birth certificate, but our school does not give report cards for Pre-1-A. I emailed the school asking what they suggest because I'm sure that others will have this issue too.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:31 am
Chayalle wrote:
Why not?

They usually only ask for birth certificate for first time applicants. Report cards are only required for children who are being switched from public school after kindergarten. (You can only sign up for kindergarten or if your child is switching from public school, not private school, at an older grade. Therefore, they would request a report card to verify the previous school was a public school.)

teachkids

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:33 am
amother Ginger wrote:
I have that too, and haven't had to do so in the past. I don't mind uploading the birth certificate, but our school does not give report cards for Pre-1-A. I emailed the school asking what they suggest because I'm sure that others will have this issue too.

I'm sure there's some sort of report from the teacher about their progress they can give you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:56 am
amother Ginger wrote:
They usually only ask for birth certificate for first time applicants. Report cards are only required for children who are being switched from public school after kindergarten. (You can only sign up for kindergarten or if your child is switching from public school, not private school, at an older grade. Therefore, they would request a report card to verify the previous school was a public school.)

This. It's not about whether or not I have/can send a report card. She won't be eligible anymore if she's coming from private school. I'm renewing, not applying.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:57 am
amother Ginger wrote:

Do you mind sharing which school? I'm wondering if it's something the school did wrong. It's the first time I'm having this. But this is my first girl. My daughter is in BR in CH. Yours?

teachkids

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:13 am
amother OP wrote:
This. It's not about whether or not I have/can send a report card. She won't be eligible anymore if she's coming from private school. I'm renewing, not applying.

So then you need to call them and ask what's going on.
It could be they changed the rules that you only get it for one year or something

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Do you mind sharing which school? I'm wondering if it's something the school did wrong. It's the first time I'm having this. But this is my first girl. My daughter is in BR in CH. Yours?

Same school.

Your other kids don't have this issue or are not currently on the scholarship?

I didn't have this requirement with hers when renewing last year. (She went to transition before pre-1-a.)

I don't think they won't renew the scholarship though.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:39 am
teachkids wrote:
So then you need to call them and ask what's going on.
It could be they changed the rules that you only get it for one year or something

No, the rules are the same. The email linking to the application explained the rules and made it clear that we were eligible to renew it.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:48 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
How much do they give?

It's a scholarship fund for NY. (There may be others in different states.) In order to be eligible, you have to meet income requirements and your school has to be on their list of schools to receive it. You also must sign up for their first year of school (after preschool) to be eligible unless you're coming from a public or charter school. If I recall correctly, you have to get the initial application from your child's school to be able to enroll. They give a maximum of $3400 (I don't remember exact amount), but you must also pay towards tuition to qualify.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:59 am
amother Ginger wrote:
Same school.

Your other kids don't have this issue or are not currently on the scholarship?

I didn't have this requirement with hers when renewing last year. (She went to transition before pre-1-a.)

I don't think they won't renew the scholarship though.

Dysfunction to the fullest extent. My others are all boys in OT and never had this problem. I've been trying to call school all morning, no one answers their phones. I'm petrified of losing this scholarship, c"v. I also need to add another child on for the coming year. I have all my income docs and bc for new child. But I can't move forward until I know how to fill it out properly, I really can't take any risks. Ugh!

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:02 am
amother OP wrote:
Dysfunction to the fullest extent. My others are all boys in OT and never had this problem. I've been trying to call school all morning, no one answers their phones. I'm petrified of losing this scholarship, c"v. I also need to add another child on for the coming year. I have all my income docs and bc for new child. But I can't move forward until I know how to fill it out properly, I really can't take any risks. Ugh!

Complete the application and add your new child, and then you can always go back and send in documentation later. That's what I did. They won't process the application until you send in all the paperwork, but at least you've signed up. They give you a cover letter for anything else you need to send in.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 3:29 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Complete the application and add your new child, and then you can always go back and send in documentation later. That's what I did. They won't process the application until you send in all the paperwork, but at least you've signed up. They give you a cover letter for anything else you need to send in.

That's what I did. Someone I spoke to in OT told me to submit the application and then send an email with the cover letter saying that she's currently on the program and doesn't need to submit docs.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 3:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

I'm in ot and I've never heard about this. How would I go about doing this? I have a kid in headstart right now. (Either going into pre1a or transition, not sure yet...)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 3:56 pm
amother Heather wrote:
I'm in ot and I've never heard about this. How would I go about doing this? I have a kid in headstart right now. (Either going into pre1a or transition, not sure yet...)

Then now is the time! If you don't get it this year, you never will.

Registration is currently open for returning families. I'm not sure when registration for new families will be. Call school and ask who to speak to, I don't want to post anyone's name here. Or ask someone IRL.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 10:44 pm
So I completed my application on Monday and submitted my income docs and snap budget letter. When I checked back today , they were no longer requesting bc and report card for my pre-1-a daughter.

Most likely, when the reviewed the application, they realized it a mistake and corrected it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics