Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
People who understand teen psychology...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:34 am
I have a question:

When I was 13 I was in a school sport that I was only a little better than average at.

So if I fantasized about going to the olympics in that sport, that is of course silly, but it would be a normal fantasy for a 13 YO, right?

Here's the thing, when I was 13 I fantasized that people watching me play my sport, would be cured from their illnesses by watching me. Like, someone with cancer would watch me olay, then not have cancer anymore.

So now I'm remembering that I had that fantasy, and to me it seems like it is way too immature even for a 13 YO, but I don't know much about child psychology.

If a 13 YO had that fantasy, didn't believe that it was actually true at the moment, but sorta thought that it *could* happen, do you think that's normal for that age, or would it indicate immaturity, narcissism, or something else?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I have a question:

When I was 13 I was in a school sport that I was only a little better than average at.

So if I fantasized about going to the olympics in that sport, that is of course silly, but it would be a normal fantasy for a 13 YO, right?

Here's the thing, when I was 13 I fantasized that people watching me play my sport, would be cured from their illnesses by watching me. Like, someone with cancer would watch me olay, then not have cancer anymore.

So now I'm remembering that I had that fantasy, and to me it seems like it is way too immature even for a 13 YO, but I don't know much about child psychology.

If a 13 YO had that fantasy, didn't believe that it was actually true at the moment, but sorta thought that it *could* happen, do you think that's normal for that age, or would it indicate immaturity, narcissism, or something else?

why not?
You have a strong imagination and you used it don't see a problem.
Immature and especially narcissists don't imagine themselves curing the world.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:48 am
I also always fantasized people watching me play something I’m really good at. Curing an illness is an even better imagin. You must’ve heard this concept and applied it to this fantasy. Sounds perfectly normal to me. Don’t overthink it.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:52 am
amother OP wrote:
I have a question:

By itself, it doesn’t indicate anything except an imaginative and maybe unusual way of you saving the world… totally normal fantasy at any age.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:24 pm
Sounds not so different from fantasizing about being a superhero, which is a common one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children