Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you medicate?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:04 pm
Your child for bad tics if there's a chance it'll lessen them?

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:05 pm
Yes 100%. What’s holding you back?

teachkids

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:09 pm
Tics cause social issues for many kids. As much as we lecture the classmates, kids are kids. Your kid will be better off if you can treat it

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:14 pm
I would try other things first.
What have you already tried?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:47 pm
I tried the Bach flower remedies. It didn't work.

He was put on medication. It worked until it stopped working. The doctor wants to try to increase the dose a bit. But it seems like these work until they stop working.

All bloodwork came back fine.

I tried cranial. No difference.

I do want to try Nathan Melek who supposedly tries a combination of reflex integration and craniosacral.

I hate these drugs. I just wanted to hear from other parents that I'm doing the right thing.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I tried the Bach flower remedies. It didn't work.

He was put on medication. It worked until it stopped working. The doctor wants to try to increase the dose a bit. But it seems like these work until they stop working.

All bloodwork came back fine.

I tried cranial. No difference.

I do want to try Nathan Melek who supposedly tries a combination of reflex integration and craniosacral.

I hate these drugs. I just wanted to hear from other parents that I'm doing the right thing.
Are you open to trying different alternative things or you just want reassurance on the drugs? (No judgment)

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:29 pm
The drugs are the pitts. I did better just learning to accept myself for who I was.

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:31 pm
Have you looked into neurofeedback?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:35 pm
Sometimes they outgrow them without doing anything

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:07 pm
I can't have him go through years of this before he outgrows them. I am definitely open to anything and everything.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:08 pm
imasinger wrote:
Have you looked into neurofeedback?

No. Do you know of anyone this has helped?

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:09 pm
I would do whatever would help my child. If medication will help, why not assist him?

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:21 pm
The side effects of the meds are a real issue. You have to evaluate risk and rewars.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:25 pm
mha3484 wrote:
The drugs are the pitts. I did better just learning to accept myself for who I was.

Do you mind my asking how you felt on the meds?

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:27 pm
Like I was in a fog and couldn't find the words I wanted. For me it was especially frustrating.

CPenzias

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:41 pm
How are the tics affecting him?

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
No. Do you know of anyone this has helped?

Yes, a friend. Don't go by my anecdotal evidence, but you might want to check it out.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:00 pm
They're very bad visually. Classmates and neighbors keep asking him about them. He's young. But I'm so worried about him.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:37 am
My son had tics that were getting progressively worse. We tried a bunch of things at once so I can't attribute success to any one of them but BH we saw amazing results.

1. 30 days of Zithromax due to suspected PANDAS. (It took 10 days on the medication for us to see a significant decrease in tics.) My gut instinct is that this had the most significant impact based on when he started the antibiotics and when we saw a significant decrease in the tics.

2. Bach flower remedies (did you follow her guidelines exactly?)

3. Clonidine (he also has an ADHD diagnosis so this was something we were considering regardless)

4. Switched him to a school that is less pressured and more accepting of his needs

Since then we have done 10 days on Zithromax once when we started seeing the tics again.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:54 am
amother OP wrote:
I can't have him go through years of this before he outgrows them. I am definitely open to anything and everything.

I second the antibiotics. Strep and other hidden infections are a huge trigger for most people, even if bloodwork seems fine.

A trial of motrin and benadryl can tell you if inflammation is driving the tics. This can also be used as a treatment for flares for up to 2 weeks at a time.

High doses of NAC (or glutathione) can be very helpful.

Lots and lots of magnesium, including lotions and footsoaks.

Gaba and l theanine increase the good neurotransmitters that can balance out the ones that are causing tics due to excess (usually too much dopamine and glutamate, this will increase serotonin and gaba, the calming neurotransmitters).

Cbd oil

Homeopathy can be huge for tics. With a licensed classical homeopath.

Working on gut health. Probiotics, ferments, removing inflammatory foods like sugar, gluten, dairy, soy, treating yeast and parasites.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics