Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Buying/Selling/Giveaway chats Etiquette

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 4:47 am
As a person blessed to move many times, such as been my mazel so far, I’ve been in this business for a long time. The stories are many, some are quite unbelievable but here on my little soapbox I would like to just say a few points.

-There are no returns. If you pay for someone you need to make sure before you pay that it’s the right size, that it works well, and it’s exactly what you need.

I had a guy which wanted a new roll up window shade from me. I told him to measure. He said it’s fine. This was a night before a cross country move. He showed up at my door really really late with the window shade in hand asking for his money back, saying I’m sorry it’s not the right size. He did not leave until we gave him the money back.

If it was free and doesn’t work it for you in the end pass it in. Don’t bring it back to me. I don’t want it. I’m giving it away for a reason.

-there are no deliveries especially on free items. (unless stated otherwise). Please don’t ask me. It’s rude. It’s a free item if you can’t pick it up then don’t reserve it. Others would enjoy it.

-if you say you’re coming today to pick the item up, pick it up today. I’m giving it away to make a space for other things, so if you can’t come get it today, let me know and I’ll pass it on to someone else.

-don’t ask me 100 questions on a free item. I’m not going to measure the carpet, and take you ten pictures and tell you the material. You can come look for yourself. I’m looking to get rid of it not feild a million questions.

I know I’m sounding harsh I’m just fed up.

MommyM

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 6:57 am
I agree with you on the first few.

The last one, however, I understand not fielding 100 questions, but basic info like sizing should be included in the original post. Do you really want 20 people coming to check out if it fits in their space? I'm not taking time and effort to come pick it up, unless I know it's usable for me.

Also, if it's a piece of furniture, I can't just come pick it up myself. Do you want people to come measure and then make their arrangements to bring over a couple of men to pick it up at a later time?

Now, for my dislikes on these groups:

Please don't post the same thing every three hours. It's annoying.

If the clothing is torn or stained, throw it out, don't try to give it away, or worse, sell it. (Yes, I saw someone trying to sell a used, stained, sweater.)

I have more, but I can't remember them right now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:55 am
MommyM wrote:
I agree with you on the first few.

The last one, however, I understand not fielding 100 questions, but basic info like sizing should be included in the original post. Do you really want 20 people coming to check out if it fits in their space? I'm not taking time and effort to come pick it up, unless I know it's usable for me.

Also, if it's a piece of furniture, I can't just come pick it up myself. Do you want people to come measure and then make their arrangements to bring over a couple of men to pick it up at a later time?

Now, for my dislikes on these groups:

Please don't post the same thing every three hours. It's annoying.

If the clothing is torn or stained, throw it out, don't try to give it away, or worse, sell it. (Yes, I saw someone trying to sell a used, stained, sweater.)

I have more, but I can't remember them right now.

For a piece of furniture or a clothing item I’d put the information there obviously. Especially if I’m selling. But it’s annoying if it’s a free own and you ask a million questions and say you’re picking up but then you never show.

Agree with all your additions!

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:18 am
amother OP wrote:
For a piece of furniture or a clothing item I’d put the information there obviously. Especially if I’m selling. But it’s annoying if it’s a free own and you ask a million questions and say you’re picking up but then you never show.

Agree with all your additions!

No one is interested in moving a heavy piece of furniture that doesn't work for them. Even if it's free . So if you're giving it away, you need to be ready to answer questions. Or pay someone to remove it from your house and post that it's outside.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:20 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
No one is interested in moving a heavy piece of furniture that doesn't work for them. Even if it's free . So if you're giving it away, you need to be ready to answer questions. Or pay someone to remove it from your house and post that it's outside.

I agree. And I clarified that I would write what I know or if it’s a big price I’d measure. But if it’s a rug, a linen set (other the basic size) I’m not starting to faff. Am I crazy?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 5:29 pm
Bump. Looking for more opinions. Am I too rigid? Is it normal to field on average 5-6 questions regarding a free product. (Not a piece of futuniture. Things like clothing, toys, baby items ect.)

giftedmom

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 5:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Bump. Looking for more opinions. Am I too rigid? Is it normal to field on average 5-6 questions regarding a free product. (Not a piece of futuniture. Things like clothing, toys, baby items ect.)

No
I fill up a box and give it to whoever is willing to pick up. If someone gets picky they’re off my list.

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 6:01 pm
The most annoying one for me is getting messages like hey, is it still available? and when I answer yes they never respond. I have it all the time.

gr82no

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 7:10 pm
The worst for me was when someone responded they want my milk. I always have tons extra from wic.
I reserved it for her amd then she asked if I can deliver. A different person dodnt pick it up so the milk went bad.

There are times I really want to get rid of stuff like a big bulky piece of furniture so im willing to answer more questions to get rid of it.

Also the better the item is the more responses I get and faster.
There was one time I responded I wanted an item but due to miscommunication I oicked it up a week later.

When you post an item please write general location because a photo frame ill drive fove minutes for but not fifteen and I dont need to bother you if you write which area u live in

Also if you posted an item and I respond id like it if you dodnt write taken on the group its only mentchlich to response taken/ not available

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:28 pm
I left all these free chats because I found most the stuff given away is garbage and whenever I posted my stuff I got annoying questions and tons of time people never came to get stuff when I clearly posted must be picked up today on my post.

Now I just give all my clothing to pick purple. I put items like car seats, old chairs on the curb and I have a friend who is on the chat post it as a curb alert with my address. L

MommyM

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:46 pm
Another time I posted something new with its price tag still on it. I offered it for half cost, and someone messages me if they could have it for free. Had I wanted to give it away for free, I could have done so... I was specifically looking to recoup some of the money I spent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics