Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Workload is too big
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:33 pm
Do you think its reasonable to say that if you have an office job that doesn't even allow you to take a sick day because your workload is too much and you'll have to make up the hours you "took off" because you were sick, then something is wrong with the amount of work you have?

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:35 pm
Is this a seasonal issue or constant?

Some offices have very busy seasons where overtime is expected and personal days are not approved. But this is generally something they'd tell you about during the hiring process. (Example: no accounting firm will let you take vacation during tax season)

If this is a year round issue, then yes, it's a problem.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:35 pm
someone should be able to cover your workload while your out..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:38 pm
its a year round problem.
no one can ever cover your work. everyone has their own caseload and its your own responsibility.

I was yelled out for complaining that I can't get to all my work and that its too much because I worked from home one day with my baby sick and then I took off one Friday when I got the flu.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:39 pm
OP don't make up the hours, why should you, everyone is allowed a sick day or two. You work the hours you are supposed to. If they are pressuring you like that then something is wrong with their system.

When I am sick I take time off nobody expects me to put in more hours. The work just continues the next day.

I would ask the bosses what their sick policy is. If you can't make it up let them know that if you take off you can try to catch up when you come back but you can't add on extra hours unless they are paying you for them.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
its a year round problem.
no one can ever cover your work. everyone has their own caseload and its your own responsibility.

I was yelled out for complaining that I can't get to all my work and that its too much because I worked from home one day with my baby sick and then I took off one Friday when I got the flu.

Do you have a contract? Is there any written policy on required weekly hours and PTO?

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:43 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
OP don't make up the hours, why should you, everyone is allowed a sick day or two. You work the hours you are supposed to. If they are pressuring you like that then something is wrong with their system.

When I am sick I take time off nobody expects me to put in more hours. The work just continues the next day.

I would ask the bosses what their sick policy is. If you can't make it up let them know that if you take off you can try to catch up when you come back but you can't add on extra hours unless they are paying you for them.

Most companies have a sick day or PTO policy, otherwise you do need to make up the hours.
OP, you are never allowed to take off? No PTO, sick days, vacation days? That's odd.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:53 pm
Personally, I would not be willing to make up hours even if I am paid extra for them. I am the mother of several children and just don't have extra time.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you think its reasonable to say that if you have an office job that doesn't even allow you to take a sick day because your workload is too much and you'll have to make up the hours you "took off" because you were sick, then something is wrong with the amount of work you have?

The state I live in requires companies to allow a certain amount of sick leave. Find out if this is legal in your state.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:23 pm
I have an okay amount of sick/vacation days that are earned throughout the year by the amount of hours I work. its generally enough for me.
but at the same time I have a HUGE workload. super stressful. its all on me. no one knows what going on with the other's things.
so I can take off when I'm sick or whatever, but I have to make it up only because I lost those hours of worktime and the work needs to get done. not because I'm not entitled to paid sick days.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:25 pm
I'm feeling very resentful and stressed out. I would think that you are entitled to sick days and when you take them that's it! you get back to work and continue where you left off. if you can't even afford to take one sick day because you need to work every spare second plus more that you missed in order to keep up then I would think the workload is too much. the higher ups think otherwise. (or they just don't care/want to hear etc)

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:37 pm
I would tell the boss:
Either you hire more help, or I will look for another job.

Einikel

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:41 pm
You already know this, but it doesn't sound normal

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:45 pm
Option A: you are 100% right, and you should start putting out feelers for a new job

Option B, and I say this as gently as possible: is your workload the same size as your coworkers', and are they also struggling with managing? Is it possible that you're less efficient, and therefore your bosses aren't so receptive when you are overwhelmed? Because they feel that instead of decreasing your workload, you should increase your productivity?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:50 pm
Op I had that with my job. I left for other reasons but while I was there I felt like that was normal. Because the work is there, noone else can do it bec they x trained for the specifics....I had spoken to others about it at that point who worked elsewhere and it seemed like some offices had work that others were able to complete if they were out while some offices were more high pressure and if you were out it would still fall on you.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:52 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Option A: you are 100% right, and you should start putting out feelers for a new job

Option B, and I say this as gently as possible: is your workload the same size as your coworkers', and are they also struggling with managing? Is it possible that you're less efficient, and therefore your bosses aren't so receptive when you are overwhelmed? Because they feel that instead of decreasing your workload, you should increase your productivity?

lol about option B. I actually have the biggest workload from everyone because (I have a lot experience so things take me much quicker). but I do get a high salary as well. so that part I can't so much complain about.

everyone is very overwhelmed. But, I'm probably the most outspoken. I am in a more senior position so I can speak to the higher ups a bit more bluntly then others on the team. some of my coworkers are too shy to say anything, some emotionally detach and just don't care, and a few get worked up like me!

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:52 pm
Op, I used to have a job that sounds a lot like yours. I was constantly stressed and overwhelmed and could never get caught up. Any days I had to take off were super stressful and I was not managing. It affected my marriage and parenting but I felt so stuck because I wasn't confident I would get another job easily and my husband was in school at the time so we were completely relying on my salary. I remember coming to the office a couple hours before pesach with a baby to finish something for a deadline. I also rememeber coming back from maternity leave and not one drop of my workload was taken care of when I was out (cuz everyone else was so full too) and I was expected to catch up with everything, plus take on even more work that they had decided to give to me when I came back. I was falling apart from the stress. Eventually my DH saw how much I was suffering and decided to look for a new job for me because I was too overwhelmed to do it myself. BH he found a job for me working fewer hours, getting paid more, and way way more pto and flexibility. Ok my current job is by no means perfect (and I don't think any job is) and definitely has it's downsides, but switching jobs was life changing and I am in such a better place right now. I can take off when I need to (for the most part) I do not have to make up hours, and while I do have very busy seasons, I am not micromanaged and can get all my work done. OP, please please know that Hashem doesn't want you to suffer like this and there are other options.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:56 pm
[quote="amother OP"]

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:57 pm
At my old job, I always felt like taking a vacation was never worth it because it would take me the same amount of time, if not more, to catch up afterwards.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:59 pm
amother Puce wrote:
At my old job, I always felt like taking a vacation was never worth it because it would take me the same amount of time, if not more, to catch up afterwards.

yes. this is exactly my thought. I literally never ever take a 'leisure' day off to take care of errands etc.

I guess I'm crazy that I'm still working here.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics