Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nebulizer for babies
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:18 pm
Anyone have any good ideas how I can prevent my 11 months old from pulling the nebulizer mask off his face? I tried singing and books and toys to no avail.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone have any good ideas how I can prevent my 11 months old from pulling the nebulizer mask off his face? I tried singing and books and toys to no avail.

You can take off the actual mask part, and hold the pc that blows the air/medication directly by their mouth and nose.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:25 pm
Screen time. Baby shark or some
Other baby music video

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:10 am
amother Sienna wrote:
You can take off the actual mask part, and hold the pc that blows the air/medication directly by their mouth and nose.

It doesn't deliver the medication as effectively this way.
You put your arm lengthwise over his 2 arms and hold the mask on and put on a video.
There's no perfect solution and every baby is different but you try your best.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:16 am
Screen time & me holding on to the mask was the only way it worked. My daughter needed nebulizer treatment every 3 hours for a full year, and then afew times a day for the next 2 years. It didn't get easier.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:56 am
amother Pearl wrote:
It doesn't deliver the medication as effectively this way.
You put your arm lengthwise over his 2 arms and hold the mask on and put on a video.
There's no perfect solution and every baby is different but you try your best.

They’ve done it like that in the ER with my daughter, and at pediatricians office as well.
My daughter has asthma, we use the nebulizer a lot, never had an issue bh!

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:16 am
amother Sienna wrote:

Done it this way also and it worked perfectly fine. In addition, make sure you have a small silent nebulizer not a big loud one.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:00 am
amother Sienna wrote:

Please do NOT do this.

The treatment is NOT delivered effectively. (Regardless of what Dr Imamothers say).

You will just have to gently hold DC arms and distract.

Hopefully will get used to it but if not then you'll just keep holding and distracting.

Hatzlacha and refuah shelaimah.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:03 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
Please do NOT do this.

The treatment is NOT delivered effectively. (Regardless of what Dr Imamothers say).

Hopefully will get used to it but if not then you'll just keep holding and distracting.

Just saying, in the hospital they don't use a mask, just the blowing piece. My pulmonologist said better to just use the blowing thing than fight them with the mask but obviously ask your own dr.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:06 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Just saying, in the hospital they don't use a mask, just the blowing piece. My pulmonologist said better to just use the blowing thing than fight them with the mask but obviously ask your own dr.

Yes, same!

yachnabobba

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:08 am
RT with pediatric certification
Nebulizer meds are dosed with the understanding that a significant amount will not get delivered. So relax try your best.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:15 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
Please do NOT do this.

It’s not Doctor amother we’re mothers who’ve had the unfortunate experience of spending several days in the ER and inpatient in the hospital with a very sick baby and if it’s good enough for all the nurses, respiratory therapists and doctors then we can absolutely share that here.

bnm

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:30 am
Worst case ask for an inhalor with a spacer.

For nebulizer I stick the baby in a highchair with interactive toys like light up and popup. Touch and feel bookks. so I can use both hands to hold the mask in place. Some days they fight it more but at a certain point they realize it helps. Sometimes they just fight the first minute.

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:35 am
Some nebulizer are faster than others, see if you can get a faster one, it makes a huge difference

Or ask Dr if inhaler with spacer would be ok, Dr said ok to us for our 10 month old.

Otherwise, you'll just have to hold it on and distract the baby as best you can.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:37 am
Inhalers are incredibly hard to work well for babies

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:43 am
bnm wrote:
Worst case ask for an inhalor with a spacer.

For nebulizer I stick the baby in a highchair with interactive toys like light up and popup. Touch and feel bookks. so I can use both hands to hold the mask in place. Some days they fight it more but at a certain point they realize it helps. Sometimes they just fight the first minute.

I tried all that but it didn't work. I would put on something for him to watch but he'll just grab my phone and try to stuff it into his mouth which is blocked by the mask or anything else I'm gonna put in his mouth. Oh well. Hopefully it will get easier with time

Lkwdmom4

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:50 am
My son's pulmonologist said that the inhaler with baby mask and spacer is equally or more effective than the nebulizer because the baby actually gets the medication. He said the nebulizer is great if the mom has asthma since she ends up getting more meds than the baby ;-).

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:01 pm
Many years ago I lived in an apartment on top of the laundry room. When you where in the laundry room you could hear what was going on in my dining room. One day a neighbor came to tell me that she really looks up at me because when ever she is in the laundry room I am singing to my kids.

What really was going on? My son needed a nebulizer 4 times a day with multiple meds. It would take about 1\2 hour to do one nebulizer. He hated it like hated it.
I would sit down with the piece by his face and sing to him in hopes he would not fight so much.

My son is now 18, this to shell pass.

bnm

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 2:50 pm
Lkwdmom4 wrote:
My son's pulmonologist said that the inhaler with baby mask and spacer is equally or more effective than the nebulizer because the baby actually gets the medication. He said the nebulizer is great if the mom has asthma since she ends up getting more meds than the baby ;-).

The allergist told me the nebulizer is actually delivering 4x the dosage and if I don't have time for it then I should do 4 puffs of the inhalor but that was for myself.

I had kids who we did either but when the kid is gasping for air first we did the rescue inhalor with spacer then had time tonsit for 10 minutes with the nebulizer.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 3:03 pm
I only hold the piece by their face it’s good enough and for sure helps
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics