Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Sale by Owner -- how do you do it?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:37 pm
If you sold a house by yourself (without a RE broker), where did you advertise it?
If you are a potential buyer, where would you be most likely to look for it? Newspaper classified ads? (Which newspaper/magazine?)
I already posted on Whatsapp chats, Luach etc. These were free advertising. Where would be worthwhile to pay and place an ad?
For context, this is Marine Park, Brooklyn

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:01 am
Whatsapp chats, you can list it on zillow under sale by owner, in the real estate sections of the local circulars and papers

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:18 am
List it on Zillow. That’s how I found my house and the majority of houses I looked at when I was in the market to buy

I really recommend having professional pictures taken, and having the house staged if you can. It will make a HUGE difference

Also decide if you will be accepting offers from buyers using agents or not. In some states, like NY/NJ, the seller pays for all agent fees including the buyers agent

bellaball

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:59 am
How can I contact you? I might be interested.

To answer your question- Zillow.

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:59 am
amother Candycane wrote:
List it on Zillow. That’s how I found my house and the majority of houses I looked at when I was in the market to buy

I really recommend having professional pictures taken, and having the house staged if you can. It will make a HUGE difference

Also decide if you will be accepting offers from buyers using agents or not. In some states, like NY/NJ, the seller pays for all agent fees including the buyers agent

Can you stipulate that you will not pay for the buyer's agent, or does it not work that way?

Asking because it is my dream to sell my home by myself one day, and if I'm not paying for my own agent, there's no way I'm paying for someone else's.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:06 am
We bought a FSBO. They started long before they actually needed it gone and spread by word of mouth so mutual friends sent us the listing because they knew we were looking to move to town

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:59 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
Can you stipulate that you will not pay for the buyer's agent, or does it not work that way?

Asking because it is my dream to sell my home by myself one day, and if I'm not paying for my own agent, there's no way I'm paying for someone else's.

No, it will depend on the laws in your state

You can choose to only accept offers from buyers who aren’t using an agent though

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:33 am
I sold my home with a sign on the lawn. The neighborhood was very desirable and there was a shortage of available houses.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:27 am
I think I know your house

#1 I agree that professional photos and having it staged will make a world of a difference

#2 or may be priced too high

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:28 am
My parents sold their house in Midwood without a broker - this was some years ago

As soon as the neighbors found out they were moving, several people contacted them immediately and they sold to one of them.

It is actually very simple in New York City since it is one of the few states that requires you hire an attorney for even simple residential sales. Since there was an attorney involved anyway all of the contracts and legal advice were being paid for anyway.

You could have it appraised to get a good sense of the true fair market value.

How soon do you need to sell? If you are going the FSBO route and don't need to sell immediately, you can try a few lower key things that don't require staging or professional photos because the people who will be interested in the home will tend to be very motivated and will care principally about the location and the "bones" of the house. Try networking, shul newsletters or boards and local social media groups for starters and see what kind of response you get.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:40 am
An agent might be able to get you more money for your house…
When people by a for sale by owner, they expect to pay less

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:48 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
An agent might be able to get you more money for your house…
When people by a for sale by owner, they expect to pay less

The reality is that without the 6% or 5% paid to the agent, you can sell for less which benefit buyer an seller. On a $700,000 home that is $42,000 in commissions which can theoretically be used to lower price in negotiation and still get a higher net price.

The issue is getting a good evaluation of fair market value so that it isn't too high or too low and whether you feel comfortable negotiating the price without a third party doing it for you.

As I wrote, it depends on the area because houses in some locations are so desirable that you don't need help marketing or showing it.

If it doesn't work and time isn't critical in terms of sales, doesn't hurt to see.

awesomemother

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:54 am
bellaball wrote:
How can I contact you? I might be interested.

To answer your question- Zillow.

Me too Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:25 am
Ok, we tried to sell with an agent last year and it didn't go. Interest rate was crazy high, and although the agent is a wonderful person, I found out that I really didn't enjoy the process (to put it mildly):
Open Houses, all sorts of people off the street and without pre-approval roaming my house and my bedrooms, opening closets ....Due to anti- discriminatory laws, the agent felt she needed to let anyone in, and there was nothing I could do about it. I prefer to sell to someone who would fit in the community. This is a mostly frum block. I'm friendly with my neighbors and I'm trying to do the right thing.

I started showing again on my own about three weeks ago. There has been quite some interest, and people came to look. One made an offer but then disappeared.

Our house is mostly up to date, with the exception of the kitchen. We put a lot of money into home improvements, including a beautiful finished basement. The kitchen was the one part we didn't get to yet. I didn't want to have one of those cheaply done kitchens that fall apart after a few years, just to 'flip' the house.

Because the house was previously listed on Zillow with an agent, it's still listed there, including professional pictures. But its status is "off market", so if someone is looking on their own online, they are unaware that the house is for sale. When people respond to my post on Whatsapp groups etc, I share the Zillow link with them.

If I re-list the house, I'm not sure if I would lose the pictures. I am also concerned about being bombarded by calls from agents, the minute it is listed again, and also about attracting the wrong kind of crowd...

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:30 am
I know someone who might be interested… how can I send the info?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:31 am
Regarding the asking price and fair market value:

We think our asking price is reasonable because a neighbor with a similar house just recently sold within this price range. The Zillow estimate is also very close to our asking price.

Our going without an agent also allowed us to lower our asking price by 20k, so that the buyer benefits from a discount. And the asking price is somewhat negotiable but you can't start with your bottom line -- got to leave some wiggle room for negotiation.

bellaball

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:36 am
amother OP wrote:

We think our asking price is reasonable because a neighbor with a similar house just recently sold within this price range. The Zillow estimate is also very close to our asking price.

Our going without an agent also allowed us to lower our asking price by 20k, so that the buyer benefits from a discount. And the asking price is somewhat negotiable but you can't start with your bottom line -- got to leave some wiggle room for negotiation.

I’d love to get in touch with you about the house.
Would you be ok sending me a PM?

Thank you

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:51 am
bellaball wrote:
I’d love to get in touch with you about the house.
Would you be ok sending me a PM?

Thank you

Just sent you a pm.

amother
Winterberry

amother OP wrote:

So I was right, this is the house I was looking at.
Your neighbors home was really move in ready (other than a paint job maybe.)
+ it sold for less.
Your home does need more money put Into it.

Also, better photos/staging will also do a lot.
It will make the home look more spacious (which it is, but doesn't give that took in the photos)

Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

awesomemother wrote:
Me too Smile

I sent you a pm.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating