Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
EBT / SNAP Stolen Benefits Fraud (Brooklyn)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:21 pm
I hear it's been happening to tons of people and now it happened to me. My benefit card was refilled - a bit over $1200. I made one purchase this AM for $20 and early afternoon - BOOM - three purchases were made in rapid succession at some small bodega that I never heard of before. And it completely wiped out over $1000 in food money.

Crying

I'm flipping out because we have a large family. Unfortunately we've had some big expenses lately and we're in debt for the first time. And we heavily rely on this money to be able to eat. Literally I don't know what I'm going to feed my kids.

Has anyone been through this before? I cancelled the card immediately and then filed for replacement of stolen benefits... but it said it could take 30 days. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:23 pm
How does it happen? I’m asking as someone who applied for Snap benefits, and wondering if this can happen to me.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:23 pm
Just had this happen to me. No advice, hugs

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:24 pm
Is someone stealing the information from the machine you're swiping it through?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:30 pm
https://crownheights.info/comm.....s-up/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:30 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
How does it happen? I’m asking as someone who applied for Snap benefits, and wondering if this can happen to me.

I heard that thieves quickly and quietly put skimming devices on machines in stores and then when you use your card to buy something, it steals your data - both your EBT card number and your pin... and then they have everything they need to make purchases.

The really sick thing here is that I'm guessing that they were monitoring my account because they waited for it to renew and then stole over $1000. I really don't know what I'm going to do.

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:32 pm
I had it a year ago. We filed some kind of claim but never got the money back.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:36 pm
I just had it. About 2.5k was stolen. Its very hard because I dont get new benefits for another three weeks.
I went to get my new card and they said theres been an uptick in stolen ebt.
I filled out the application. They have thirty days to tell me they got my application and then it takes about another month to get the benefits back. Fyi you might not get back all that was stolen.
For me the store that stole it is in a different state and they spent all the money in less than ten minutes so it isnt just that someone skimmed it.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
I just had it. About 2.5k was stolen. Its very hard because I dont get new benefits for another three weeks.
I went to get my new card and they said theres been an uptick in stolen ebt.
I filled out the application. They have thirty days to tell me they got my application and then it takes about another month to get the benefits back. Fyi you might not get back all that was stolen.
For me the store that stole it is in a different state and they spent all the money in less than ten minutes so it isnt just that someone skimmed it.

Was it in Philadelphia? See the link I posted above.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
https://crownheights.info/communal-matters/853649/crown-heights-targeted-in-ebt-skimming-attack-state-assemblyman-steps-up/

Do you know if its only for nyc? I live in ny not nyc but I have shopped in nyc

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Was it in Philadelphia? See the link I posted above.

Yes , ik of other people that it happened to.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:42 pm
I wonder if it's a local govt ny office stealing it. It sounds like a very specific targeted act.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:42 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
Do you know if its only for nyc? I live in ny not nyc but I have shopped in nyc

From what I understand they are putting together a big investigation and the more people that they know about, the bigger the chance that they can get the attention of big organizations like the FBI and then better chance of getting your money back. Email them, they are collecting information now and will keep you posted.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:43 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
I wonder if it's a local govt ny office stealing it. It sounds like a very specific targeted act.

The people I know of, it was all spent at the same store in Philadelphia. So definitely seems like a coordinated scam but I doubt it was government probably some ring of skimmers.

Bleemee

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:45 pm
That’s horrible sorry to you all!

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:03 pm
It happened to me like 2 months ago was horrible. It was right when the money came on and my house was low on food. I went and did a big shopping and bam nothing on my card and it just filled up. I was left to cry. I davened that it shouldn’t take 30 days and bh I got the money back in two weeks bh ! (Those two weeks were so stressful ) it should be a kappara

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:06 pm
Can people post which stores it happened so others can be ware of it happening to them?

gila-rina

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:10 pm
Maybe people who got scammed should also post which store they used their EBT cards at?

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:21 pm
gila-rina wrote:
Maybe people who got scammed should also post which store they used their EBT cards at?

This happened to us last week. Also the day my card got refilled. Plus many others in my town. I don’t live in NYC though and it was also used in Philadelphia.

Eta, I have made purchases with ebt on amazon and Walmart, but m6 friend who doesn’t shop online was scammed too, and I know someone else who got scammed who doesn’t shop at the same supermarket I generally shop at- and where most of my town shops at. So it’s obviously a big scale scam that has its grips all over…

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:26 pm
gila-rina wrote:

The issue is that many of us are using our EBT cards frequently at many different stores... so it's really hard to trace. Crying
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics