Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
If both you and your husband work, what are your hours?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:13 am
Until now, my husband was in kollel. My kids were at playgroups/ babysitters 9:15 to 2:15 and my husband did dropoff and pickup. I worked 9 to 3:30. I know I was very lucky.

Now my husband is leaving kollel and getting a job and I'm trying to figure out how everyone makes it work. I guess one parent starts work at 9:30 or later. And I would have to pick up but there's only so much I can cut my hours...

mom!

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:14 am
Hugs. So stressful. I work for months to get morahs who allow early drop off.
The afternoon is not as bad, there are tons of morahs who go until 3:00.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:16 am
We stagger our work hours. I go in usually around 6 or 7 am so I can leave in time for school pickup. My husband does drop off and starts and ends later.
Edited, because I just realized this says Lakewood. I don’t live in Lakewood, but this is applicable everywhere.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:18 am
I work 10-430 and my husband works 830-5

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:18 am
I leave at 7:30 and I do pickups at 3:30. My husband gets the kids out in the morning, starts work at 10:00 and works until 6:00. It's challenging to make that transition but your options are: split working hours so one of you are available in the morning and the other one does pickups, increase hours of child care, or cut your hours. Good luck!

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:19 am
I live in monsey.
Im at work at 7, and leave at 3.
My husband starts work at 9 ish, comes home anywhere between 5 and 6:30 usually

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:21 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
We stagger our work hours. I go in usually around 6 or 7 am so I can leave in time for school pickup. My husband does drop off and starts and ends later.
Edited, because I just realized this says Lakewood. I don’t live in Lakewood, but this is applicable everywhere.

Thanks! This is helpful.

I do think this is applicable everywhere, but AFAIK Lakewood is unique in the very fixed playgroup hours. Very few allow dropoff prior to 9:15 and few have hours extended past 3ish.

Additionally, my kids are not that old yet, but often girls' bus routes will only pick up at 9:15 as well.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:28 am
I don't live in Lakewood.

DH typically works 8:30 until about 3:45 in-office, and then sometimes another 30 minutes or so. On school days, he drops off our big kids at school and picks them up. He davens shacharis at the day school usually, and sometimes davens mincha there also.

I work from home 3 days per week, in-office 2 days per week. I take our toddler to daycare in the morning, and DH usually picks him up as he's bringing home the older kids. I usually work 8:30 to 5:30, but I have flexibility to go to personal appointments during the day, start later, leave earlier, as long as it doesn't conflict with meetings or mess up my work tasks. Sometimes I have to travel for work and then DH had to do all the dropoffs and pickups, or ask his parents for help.

We don't do playgroups, only full time daycare.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:30 am
Me: 930-230

Dh: 9-5

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:30 am
I work 9-3 and my husband works 9-430. I do the drop offs and pick ups. BH there are babysitters and playgroups who go until 3.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:32 am
I work 10-1 and my husband works 10-6.

I know I’m lucky and I don’t have to worry about early drop off/extended hours.

It’s very hard.

Either you can send to a daycare or network and find morahs. They are out there.

I’ve found that babysitter groups as opposed to playgroups are more flexible with hours. I know someone that kept her kid by his baby sitter until he was 2.5 and really needed more structure, as the hours worked for her.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:36 am
amother Viola wrote:
I work 9-3 and my husband works 9-430. I do the drop offs and pick ups. BH there are babysitters and playgroups who go until 3.

What time are your drop offs?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:37 am
amother Coffee wrote:
I work 10-1 and my husband works 10-6.

I know I’m lucky and I don’t have to worry about early drop off/extended hours.

It’s very hard.

Either you can send to a daycare or network and find morahs. They are out there.

I’ve found that babysitter groups as opposed to playgroups are more flexible with hours. I know someone that kept her kid by his baby sitter until he was 2.5 and really needed more structure, as the hours worked for her.

Wish I could qualify for CHS and can't afford to pay private.

Interesting pt about babysitters vs playgroups!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:39 am
amother Nasturtium wrote:
I leave at 7:30 and I do pickups at 3:30. My husband gets the kids out in the morning, starts work at 10:00 and works until 6:00. It's challenging to make that transition but your options are: split working hours so one of you are available in the morning and the other one does pickups, increase hours of child care, or cut your hours. Good luck!

Thank you, this is helpful. If you leave at 7:30 I guess your husband davens vasikin?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:44 am
Not Lakewood, but when my kids were in daycare we found someone with extended hours 8-4 so I worked 7:30-3:30 (with half-hour commute and some work at home) and my husband worked 9-5 (with an hour commute)

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:55 am
My 2 oldest have 9-4 hours in a daycare
My baby is 9:15-3
I do drop off and pick up
I start work from 9:30-2:50
I pay tons of money in childcare
I live in Lakewood

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:57 am
amother OP wrote:
What time are your drop offs?

9 am
I actually start at 9:15

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:00 pm
My husband is out of the house 12 hours a day and does not take care of any childcare arrangements. I do not work right now but when I did work it was from home and my hours were flexible.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:01 pm
wow! how do all you women work such long hours!! kudos!

my husband is still in kollel but likely leaving soon and I guess ill be in the same boat.
I always assumed I would cut back if I had to. (work 9-315 right now)

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Until now, my husband was in kollel. My kids were at playgroups/ babysitters 9:15 to 2:15 and my husband did dropoff and pickup. I worked 9 to 3:30. I know I was very lucky.

Now my husband is leaving kollel and getting a job and I'm trying to figure out how everyone makes it work. I guess one parent starts work at 9:30 or later. And I would have to pick up but there's only so much I can cut my hours...

Never understand what types of jobs both parents have that allow for such short hours at a daycare! I would never be able to have those kind of hours of childcare and always curious what ppl do for work.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries