Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do I do now?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:06 pm
I’m losing my current job, and expecting very soon. I have a pretty busy schedule right now because it’s a high risk pregnancy and requires a lot of extra monitoring. I am not expecting to be able to find a new job until after the baby comes.

So now what do I do? I can’t just sit back for the next few months with zero income, and I’m not eligible for any sort of unemployment or paid leave.

I’d take a seasonal job in the mall or something, but I can’t stand for long periods of time (super pregnant)

Any ideas or advice for something I can do, anything? I have zero dollars to invest in starting a business, and don’t have a skill honed enough to do something that requires basically no investment to get up and running anyways

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:08 pm
Which field do you have experience? Im thinking offices like accountants are having their peek seasons now, maybe they can use experienced seasonal workers?

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:09 pm
Feel for you. Hope some ladies have good ideas for you! How much time do you have until baby comes?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:15 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Which field do you have experience? Im thinking offices like accountants are having their peek seasons now, maybe they can use experienced seasonal workers?

Office work mostly, in a bunch of different fields

I have never done tax work or accounting, and I’m not sure someone will want to train me now to only have for a month or two.. but I will definitely look into it, thanks!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:16 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Feel for you. Hope some ladies have good ideas for you! How much time do you have until baby comes?

7 weeks, but realistically it can be anytime between now and then

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:16 pm
Maybe a temp agency could find you something for a month?

What type of job did you lose? Would there be remote options available?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m losing my current job, and expecting very soon. I have a pretty busy schedule right now because it’s a high risk pregnancy and requires a lot of extra monitoring. I am not expecting to be able to find a new job until after the baby comes.

So now what do I do? I can’t just sit back for the next few months with zero income, and I’m not eligible for any sort of unemployment or paid leave.

I’d take a seasonal job in the mall or something, but I can’t stand for long periods of time (super pregnant)

Any ideas or advice for something I can do, anything? I have zero dollars to invest in starting a business, and don’t have a skill honed enough to do something that requires basically no investment to get up and running anyways

Are they letting you go? You should go on unemployment to tide you over until after the baby.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:21 pm
Can they legally fire you right before you have a baby? And why can't you get unemployment?

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:21 pm
Isn't it illegal to fire a pregnant woman?

MayimChayim

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:23 pm
theoneandonly wrote:

In the US, not at all; it's only illegal to fire someone due to pregnancy.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:24 pm
theoneandonly wrote:

It's illegal to fire a woman *because* she's pregnant.

But being pregnant doesn't mean you can't be fired. (You can do your job wrong and deserve to be fired, the job can downsize, etc)

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:26 pm
I would think there would have to be very egregious wrongdoing for an employer to fire a pregnant employee and risk a lawsuit, but what do I know.
Sorry, OP. Good luck And bshaa tova.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:30 pm
Do you have languages? Could you be on zoom calls as an interpreter or translator? That's easier than written translation. It's just talking. There might be agencies that place such people, that you could register with. That you could do lying in bed, in theory.

Can you tutor girls in school subjects? Again, on zoom. Lying in bed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:22 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Are they letting you go? You should go on unemployment to tide you over until after the baby.

I am not eligible to receive unemployment, or any paid leave benefits

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:24 pm
I was not fired due to pregnancy, the company is going out of business

anonymrs

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:37 pm
Can you babysit? Tutor?

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 10:16 pm
Can your doc justify putting you out on disability early due to your high risk pregnancy?

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:03 pm
substitutes get paid nicely
maybe in a playgroup or pre-school
they also can be day by day

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 1:34 am
I personally think you should tell your company that you don't think you will be able to get a job in your current condition, and ask them for a few months severance pay

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 3:19 am
Would you be able to be an official substitute in a preschool ? I did that for a Headstart program when I was pregnant 18 yrs ago .
There are so many playgroup morahs and preschools who need an official sub for teachers who are on maternity leave etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics