Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Which counterop materials are kasherable for pesach

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 10:40 am
besides granite? and which is the cheapest?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 10:46 am
Honestly, there is no excellent pesach counter solution. Kasherable is dangerous and a huge mess. I only know about granite.

amother
Burntblack

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 10:47 am
Also marble. But you have to check with your rav, as there are different opinions about kashering both marvle and granite when they have a sealant coat applied.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 1:19 pm
Ask your rav.

Just a warning though: I've found kashering can damage the cabinets. I just cover my countertops to avoid that.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 1:37 pm
Kasherable as per Star-K: Natural stone, which includes granite, marble, and quartzite; metal, such as stainless steel; and wood, such as butcher block.

Some Rabbeim, but not most, allow plastics to be kashered. So that would add Formica and engineered quartz.

As mentioned by others, kashering is messy, dangerous, and your cabinets won't like it. In some places you can hire someone with a specialty steam cleaner to kasher your counters for you.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 2:11 pm
I just kashered my countertops myself (quartz) and will be doing it again for pesach

It was time consuming but not as difficult as I thought it would be. It doesn’t need to be dangerous if done carefully, and I definitely recommend someone else there mopping at the same time so you don’t ruin your cabinets/floors

I’ve heard of people using steamers, but from all the research I’ve done it seems very unlikely that those can be used in most cases. AYLOR
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics