Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to wear for a shabbaton?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 8:59 pm
please help, totally fashion clueless here - and I need help figuring out what to wear... it's a shabbaton for professionals and their families.

please post links/pictures? thank you!

crystal

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:33 pm
Anything you'd wear to shul should be fine. Nobody wears casual/ robes/ snoods/ slippers at any time (except when in your own room).

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:36 pm
Some people dress very elegant by shabbatons. Attended a support group one, not a professional one

Each meal something else.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:48 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Some people dress very elegant by shabbatons. Attended a support group one, not a professional one

Each meal something else.

how do I know how fancy to go?

I'm worried that I'll be over/underdressed...

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:53 pm
Can you post an example of what you would normally wear to shul, and we'll weigh in?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Can you post an example of what you would normally wear to shul, and we'll weigh in?

I'm embarrassed to admit it but I only have a beaten up shabbos robe. I haven't been to shul for shabbos in years.

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:58 pm
If there is a large crowd, then there's variety, some more dressed up, like long dresses, high heels, some more simple like sweaters.

Maybe ask another person that's attending, how they are dressing.

If you are professional you see a mix of how professionals dress even at work.

I think if you are professional then it is the norm to dress more elegant or hi end, no?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm embarrassed to admit it but I only have a beaten up shabbos robe. I haven't been to shul for shabbos in years.

Ok let's try to help. Size? Style (do you prefer dresses, pencil skirts, a-line, maxi)?

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:59 pm
Do you have any Jewish stores near you that you can go in person to? They should be able to help you. A nice classy dress, top and skirt etc
Is this the one next shabbos?

amother
Starflower

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 10:00 pm
What do u wear to weddings bar mitzvas or school dinners? That’s good for Friday night. Shabbos day a more simple dress and shalosh seudos a sweater and shabbos skirt then people change for melava malka

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 10:02 pm
You would need, Fri night seudah, shabbos morn seudah, ss, more elegant. Then mm maybe not as elegant. Some people go shabbos, some more dressed down like better weekday.

Then depending when it starts and when ends. Thursday night. Fri toamehu. Shabbos morn, breakfast, kiddush. Friday night oneg. Sunday morn breakfast. Lectures.

Shabbos morn for breakfast you might get away with robe if it's very early morn only women not morn kiddush with men and women.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 10:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Ok let's try to help. Size? Style (do you prefer dresses, pencil skirts, a-line, maxi)?

plus size. dresses, maxi or a-line.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 10:14 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
Do you have any Jewish stores near you that you can go in person to? They should be able to help you. A nice classy dress, top and skirt etc
Is this the one next shabbos?

I went to a local store but they all looked like tent dresses on me... not good for my shape, and I didn't feel nice in any of them. I also didn't think anyone else would wear something like them, but clearly I'm not up to date on fashion.

amother
Maple

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 10:57 pm
I think it depends what you mean by professional. Are we speaking lawyers, CPA's, nurses,
MD's, therpaist, Entrepreneurs?

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 11:09 pm
If you still have the time to order some online pics then I think that’s a good cost effective route
I just searched some plus size maxis and I saw some that looked amazing and dressy. Try a wrap top, I saw a silky black one that looked way more expensive that what it was.
Lucky for us, sweaters are now considered dressy, so pack some cute sweaters; some light, some dark, and a beaded /bejeweled one.
Best tip: a good hairstyle and preferably two to change it up.
Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 11:19 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
If you still have the time to order some online pics then I think that’s a good cost effective route
I just searched some plus size maxis and I saw some that looked amazing and dressy. Try a wrap top, I saw a silky black one that looked way more expensive that what it was.
Lucky for us, sweaters are now considered dressy, so pack some cute sweaters; some light, some dark, and a beaded /bejeweled one.
Best tip: a good hairstyle and preferably two to change it up.
Good luck.

please can you post a few links so that I get an idea of what is current? thank you.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:42 am
amother OP wrote:
please can you post a few links so that I get an idea of what is current? thank you.

https://www.citychiconline.com.....D_BwE

https://bloomchic.com/products.....D_BwE

https://tnuck.com/products/whi.....louse

https://www.jessicalondon.com/.....D_BwE

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:01 am
amother Indigo wrote:
You would need, Fri night seudah, shabbos morn seudah, ss, more elegant. Then mm maybe not as elegant. Some people go shabbos, some more dressed down like better weekday.

Then depending when it starts and when ends. Thursday night. Fri toamehu. Shabbos morn, breakfast, kiddush. Friday night oneg. Sunday morn breakfast. Lectures.

Shabbos morn for breakfast you might get away with robe if it's very early morn only women not morn kiddush with men and women.

Does one really need to change clothes so many times during the day? Why separate clothing for seudat shlishi?

To save space and $, I'd pack a well-fitting black skirt that can be paired with multiple tops, a solid color dress, simple shoes, and accessories that can be used to transform outfits into different looks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics