Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Lower back pain

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:46 pm
Yes, I'm in the right forum.

It's me again with the baby who only sleeps nursing and who doesn't let me put him down. I will iyh go update those threads soon because we have had some small improvements, maybe, I think.

While I have miraculously not quite lost my mind yet, nor my job, my back is threatening to quit. Baby weighs close to 20 lb already and even though he has bh been doing a decent amount more playing and chilling on his own, I'm still doing a LOT of holding especially since he won't sleep any other way. I've been careful with my nursing position because I had neck and upper back issues with previous baby, but all the holding, shoulder and hip and waist and over the arm, my back is getting very sad. All over but mostly lower. His preferred position is generally over the shoulder, and with a tall growing 18lb baby that's a lot of asymmetry right there.

What can I do to not become totally crippled?! Holding the baby less is not really an option, this is already the improvement, he's not going to get less needy overnight just because I say I've had enough.

I tried baby carriers (two different buckle types and a woven ring sling) but he doesn't like the restraint and even when he's not fighting it, doesn't seem comfortable in the positions. That's before we even have a chance to find out if it makes my back happier.

Help Sad

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:05 pm
How old is this baby?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:55 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
How old is this baby?

6 months. Another whole thread going on how to get him to not need as much holding (he's getting better at playing in longer doses, and I've all but given up and back to nursing him to sleep so that's a lot less walking around holding him trying to encourage sleep) but it's a long game and meanwhile I'm breaking.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 10:37 pm
Have you tried using a low back brace for extra support?

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 11:00 pm
Physical therapy! They can work through your posture and the best way to hold your baby. They can also give you exercises to build strength for improved posture. Pregnancy stretches out all our stomach muscles that support our core. If they aren't retrained they get weaker and weaker. Working on it now is giving yourself a lifelong gift

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 12:02 am
Something like this? https://tushbaby.com/products/.....w_wcB

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:54 am
amother OP wrote:
6 months. Another whole thread going on how to get him to not need as much holding (he's getting better at playing in longer doses, and I've all but given up and back to nursing him to sleep so that's a lot less walking around holding him trying to encourage sleep) but it's a long game and meanwhile I'm breaking.

Can you link the other thread?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:04 pm
Other thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....61824

Back support or brace: listening, do you know what's the right type for something like this? Ready to buy anything that might help 🙏

Physical therapist: any idea how to go about finding one who deals with this? Or how to get insurance to cover it? Is spoiled baby a valid medical injury?!

I don't know how they'd help me learn better holding positions until they teach baby to accept better holding positions. I think the shoulder is what's really doing me in.

Hip carrier might make some moments easier because I'm sure holding him on my hip is not doing any favors for my already sad back, but hip holding is not the main problem.

I feel like I could maybe use a bath in Epsom salt but I'm seeing it's not so safe for babies and I can't think how I'd have time for a bath without him.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Other thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....61824

Back support or brace: listening, do you know what's the right type for something like this? Ready to buy anything that might help 🙏

Physical therapist: any idea how to go about finding one who deals with this? Or how to get insurance to cover it? Is spoiled baby a valid medical injury?!

I don't know how they'd help me learn better holding positions until they teach baby to accept better holding positions. I think the shoulder is what's really doing me in.

Hip carrier might make some moments easier because I'm sure holding him on my hip is not doing any favors for my already sad back, but hip holding is not the main problem.

I feel like I could maybe use a bath in Epsom salt but I'm seeing it's not so safe for babies and I can't think how I'd have time for a bath without him.

Back pain is a valid medical complaint for PT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics