Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
From what temperature do you keep a child home?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:31 am
From what temperature do you keep a child home? If the child is acting otherwise fine and has been home a few days already. I guess I'm asking from what number is considered a fever?

scruffy

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:32 am

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:33 am
100.4 is considered a fever

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:36 am
100 or if lower but feeling sick/weak keep them home it’s not right to send sick kids to school

Highstrung

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:36 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
100.4 is considered a fever

True , according to the doctor . But many kids feel sick and feverish with just 99.9 and 100. So a mother needs to use her judgement and know her child. I don’t send if my child has 100. It means the child is most likely going to feel unwell all day .

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:38 am
Depends how they are feeling and behaving. My kids’ temperatures randomly spike sometimes for a few hours, not sure what that’s about.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:43 am
100 at present. But regarding waiting for 24 hours fever free, I'd take 24 hours after 101. Like if they were 101 yesterday morning but 100 by afternoon with no Tylenol or anything, and now they have nothing after feeling fine all evening, I'd consider this morning enough of a wait.

However if the child was home sick for a few days I would consider keeping them home longer to make sure they're really fully recovered. Body needs rest to bounce back.

I'm not a professional, this is just what I do.

Last edited by seeker on Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:44 am
Highstrung wrote:
True , according to the doctor . But many kids feel sick and feverish with just 99.9 and 100. So a mother needs to use her judgement and know her child. I don’t send if my child has 100. It means the child is most likely going to feel unwell all day .

The kids has 100-100.2 (fluctuating) and was bouncing off the walls already yesterday.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:47 am
Highstrung wrote:

Oh I keep my kids home based on symptoms combined with a perhaps brewing fever, it's not just the number being low enough. But in this case, OP made it sound like her kid has been home for a few days and probably on the mend, in which case if kid is 24 hours without passing the fever threshold, kid can go back.

Many times I personally will decide to bring a kid late to see how they are an hour or two after waking up since you can't always tell first thing in the morning, but that's my personal decision, not a school rule or anything.

tweety1

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:51 am
Highstrung wrote:

I too keep home if it reaches 100. Usually if it reaches 100 they're not feeling well. I don't go around randomly taking temperature. If I take it it's because I'm suspecting something is going on. That means the kid belongs home. The exception is, a kid that was already home a few days, is feeling much better, and the nighttime reading -which is usually higher is 100. Then I might, read: I might consider sending the next day.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:56 am
amother OP wrote:
The kids has 100-100.2 (fluctuating) and was bouncing off the walls already yesterday.

Definitely still keep home

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:05 am
amother OP wrote:

If the child was ill & still has low fever, I keep home till completely fever free.

teachkids

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:08 am
Over 100.4 the night before or over 100 morning of

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:09 am
amother OP wrote:

Keep home. Kid still is sick.
Kid bouncing off walls is not a sign that they are well.
24 hours with a temp under 100.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:15 am
Please post a link to the thermometer you use. My thermometer’s all show a below normal temperature but when the child seems so sick and we go to the doctor, they have fever according to the thermometer at the doctors office.
I just bought a new thermometer and again it doesn’t seem to be working properly.

bnm

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:27 am
Depends on how the kid is feeling. Kept home for 99.9 and pale and listless but 3 days later when the temp dropped back to 99.8 and was on antibiotics for 48 hours they went.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics