Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Just bought groceries for the week
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:29 am
We are a family of 3 - one toddler.

I went grocery shopping for the week yesterday and the total was $160. What am I doing wrong? I didn't get anything crazy - no precut veggies or broccoli etc.

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:30 am
Maybe share what you bought and for how much

My weekly groceries is around 75-100 (including shabbos), for 2 adults and 2 toddlers

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:33 am
What?! My weekly groceries are. 2-300. 2 adults, 2 toddlers. I don't spend anything crazy or extra either!!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:34 am
Guess you are in the US so I can't really tell you but your really need to compare prices and know where and what to shop in X grocery. Always check sales. It a very good sale you stock up.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:35 am
I spend a whole lot more and same amount of people but we eat mostly fresh vegetables and fruits and protein not so much pasta and sandwiches… I don’t think $160 is so much if you’re choosing healthier options but then again I don’t know your finances either

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:37 am
amother OP wrote:
We are a family of 3 - one toddler.

I went grocery shopping for the week yesterday and the total was $160. What am I doing wrong? I didn't get anything crazy - no precut veggies or broccoli etc.

Only $160 for the week?? That is so little! How?

bnm

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:38 am
I spent 175 last Friday after having been in the grocery 2 other times that week and stocking up on the chicken sale the week before. I think 160 is great.

snooper86

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:39 am
$160 sounds amazing to me I’ve been spending $200-$300 a week…

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:40 am
That sounds pretty normal

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:40 am
$160 is not too bad for the week. We're 2 adults and I spend $100-$120 for the week. But I shop mostly in Aldi and buy chicken and meat on sale and look for deals- it's annoying to shop around but worth it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:41 am
Here is what I bought

2 loaves ww bread
1/2 gallon milk
Small package shredded cheese
Small package sliced muenster
Cottage cheese
Dozen eggs
4 yogurts
Family pack drumsticks
Small pack cutlets
Sliced turkey breast
Frozen pizza
Olive oil
Macaroni
Chocolate chips
2 packs rice cakes
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 jars marinara
10 apples
Shredded cabbage
5 lb bag potatoes
5 lemons
2 lb sweet potatoes
4 zucchini
red onion
3 red peppers
Scallions
Grape tomatoes
Foil
Parchment paper
Food storage containers

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:46 am
All in one store? In town or OOT?
If you have a Costco membership or know someone who does and would be willing to buy a few items for you, many Costcos have kosher chicken and cholov yisroel cheese for much lower prices.
Try shopping in Aldi- they have great produce for good prices, lots of dry and canned goods like pasta and bread and snacks. If you don't keep CY your options are even better there (yogurts for 50 cents)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:49 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
All in one store? In town or OOT?
If you have a Costco membership or know someone who does and would be willing to buy a few items for you, many Costcos have kosher chicken and cholov yisroel cheese for much lower prices.
Try shopping in Aldi- they have great produce for good prices, lots of dry and canned goods like pasta and bread and snacks. If you don't keep CY your options are even better there (yogurts for 50 cents)

It's all in one store, in town.

I used to try and buy basics in Walmart but have gotten very short on time. I should probably start again..

Would you say a Costco membership is worth it for someone with my family size?

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:52 am
Prices have really risen. It doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything wrong. If money is really tight there are ways to cut down, but I don’t know if it’s worth it for you or not. For example I would not buy frozen pizza, individual yogurts or peppers if I was on a tight budget, but there’s nothing wrong with buying those if you can afford it

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:54 am
I think that is a great price for what you got.
If you want to cut down you can cut out frozen pizza and get a family size yogurt and string cheese is often pricy.

I’m assuming you don’t buy parchment paper every week but then again it will probably be replaced but a different pantry item

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:55 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I think that is a great price for what you got.
If you want to cut down you can cut out frozen pizza and get a family size yogurt and string cheese is often pricy.

I’m assuming you don’t buy parchment paper every week but then again it will probably be replaced but a different pantry item

The pizza was on a great sale actually, I don't usually buy.

Yes I bought a few things I don't always get (olive oil, parchment paper, foil) but usually there are a couple of pantry items that need replacement each week

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:56 am
amother OP wrote:

I used to try and buy basics in Walmart but have gotten very short on time. I should probably start again..

You can also get groceries sent to your home. I do that for things I can buy from walmart and buy only the necessities in the local grocery.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:58 am
The cheese including cottage cheese and frozen pizza is probably where it's coming out to be alot.

Frozen pizza often goes in sale; you can stock up.
Also, if you have wic, try to get the cheese from Wic.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:59 am
amother OP wrote:

If you are only buying food, no it is not.
If you need toiletries and diapers/pads/tampons, cleaning supplies and toilet paper (and have room to store), clothes, socks and underwear….then it is worth it.

At this point, we are a family of 2. I do have a stuffed house and my children shop in my pantry, but it is worth it.

* Costco produce is much more expensive than the corner store “farmer’s market” and on par with Aldi’s per volume , but you need to buy a lot. It is superior quality and does last.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:01 am
frozen pizza is not a budget item
olive oil is not a budget item (more expensive than seed oil)
dairy products in general are expensive - yogurt in bulk is cheaper
I buy all the above things too OP but just pointing out how these things add up faster than you think!

$160 doesn't seem to be out of hand to me - I guess its all relative though.

I shop for 2 adults 2 toddlers and generally spend about $100 in the grocery (I am heavy on the dairy and fresh produce so thats where I add up costs) and then another $40-$50 for specific produce/house goods in target/Walmart/Aldi depending on prices.

this is without cheshboning shabbos if were home - I do a separate shop - which can come to around $130!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics