Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Antisemitism explained to kids

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:22 pm
Hi,
I'm writing a middle grade book that deals with antisemitism. In one scene a Rabbi comes to discuss the subject at the protagonist's school. I was wondering what would a child assume is the reason for antisemitism? How would they be exposed to antisemitism? In the beginning of the book, their school bus gets tagged with an antisemitic slogan, so maybe that would be the first exposure?
My goal is to give kids chizzuk so if you can think of anything that should be included please let me know.
Thank you

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:24 pm
Why?

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:44 pm
I think hearing of the Holocaust would likely be a child’s first exposure if it is part of their family history. It was for me.

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:45 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Why?

Because fiction can be a gentle way to express and address anxieties and other negative feelings.
I personally made more experiences with antisemitism in my teens so I'm not sure if I can voice it properly for middle schoolers. Obviously the rabbi would say something to the effect that anti-semites make all sorts of excuses for their hatred but it's really boils down to them not accepting responsibility for their own failures or misfortunes designating Jews as scapegoats

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:46 pm
shaqued_almond wrote:
Hi,
I'm writing a middle grade book that deals with antisemitism. In one scene a Rabbi comes to discuss the subject at the protagonist's school. I was wondering what would a child assume is the reason for antisemitism? How would they be exposed to antisemitism? In the beginning of the book, their school bus gets tagged with an antisemitic slogan, so maybe that would be the first exposure?
My goal is to give kids chizzuk so if you can think of anything that should be included please let me know.
Thank you

My first exposure was learning in school ‏עשו שונה ליעקב
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club