Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Anyone ever heard of "Neveah" or "Nevaeh"
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:16 pm
That is just too funny Chavamom! I wonder if Clarissa could think of a good name for their next kid.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 12:28 am
Quote:
a little boy named seven. his mom thought it was a really neat name.

Hey, what's the big deal? Maybe it's a shortened version of Steven Wink Tongue Out

And the Deceitful Liar one? Ugh. Mad

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 1:02 am
neveah sounds like female navi- neviah- נביאה

B'tzimtzim

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 2:13 am
I had a client named Nevaeh. Twin sister was Heaven. Really cute kid too. I think it's mainly a black name (at least these twins were). Working in schools where 95% of the students are African American, you hear all kinds of names. I also had a JaHighness (your highness) and a Jamajesty (your majesty) like one of the posters above mentioned. I don't think those names are all that uncommon in that population.

Zus

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 2:17 am
Someone told me this story:

An african american single woman gave birth in an american hospital, with a jewish doctor (this must be some time ago). The doctor said: "it's such a shanda!" and the mother picked that up and thought it was a nice name, and called her daughter Shonda...

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 2:30 am
B'tzimtzim wrote:
I don't think those names are all that uncommon in that population.

Having just read a news article about someone named Queen Antoinette (and didn't Michael Jackson name his kids Prince Michael or some such?), I'm thinking you are right.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 3:30 am
Worst true name: An Israeli woman in NY named her dd zona
Stupidest: god (with small g of course) 60s fad I remember
Most annoying: Emuna Shlema Bvias Hamoshiach Ani Maamin (for real and when I met her she was 8 yrs old and called her father Cukoo)

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 3:45 am
There's a family near where I live (lovely people) who gave their children entire Psukim for names.

I think when I have my next daughter, I'm going to name her Mir&a....

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 4:42 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
Worst true name: An Israeli woman in NY named her dd zona
my father has a classmate in medical school named zona, and she was so proud of her jewish name and would "show off" and say "My name is a Jewish name" proudly... my father had no heart to tell her what her name meant...

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 4:52 am
And then there's the Israeli character Ziva on NCIS which depending on how you spell it, means gonorrhea.

mali

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 5:04 am
ziva is from the word זיו with a vav, which means radiance/brilliance.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 5:06 am
Yes, but זיבה is not.

Like I said, depends on how you spell it.

mali

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 5:08 am
names of real people I know:

shana tova
didan natzach
bekarov mamash yigal
degalya (named after the moshiach flag)
moshiach (and then I hear my neighbor's kids yelling, "ima, moshiach is annoying me!" Rolling Eyes)
mazal tov

mali

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 5:10 am
and then there was an israeli who named his fifth daughter "achzava" - disappointment.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:16 am
I have a neighbor who insists on having the letters yud heh at the end of the name of every child. No Gedalyas for them. The father took names that usually don't have this and tacked it on. When their last child was born, a girl the mother had a name she really wanted as is. The poor child was not named for over 6 weeks despite the rav's urging. At the end of the fight Mom gave in and the girl was named what she wanted with a totally lo shayach yud he at the end.

The amazing thing is that there are many rabbonim who say not to do names with shemot that are not Biblical. I have no idea what the guy does this for.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:22 am
mali wrote:
names of real people I know:

shana tova
didan natzach
bekarov mamash yigal
degalya (named after the moshiach flag)
moshiach (and then I hear my neighbor's kids yelling, "ima, moshiach is annoying me!" Rolling Eyes)
mazal tov

I hope these are siblings, I wouldn't like to think there are a lot of these running around.
I guess they don't want to be like everyone else. Names tend to run together in communities. When my Levi Yitzchak got to gan nearly every boy had an initial after his name because it turned out to be a Levi Yitzchok year. The year after was a Menachem Mendel year. There were some 15 Levi Yitzchoks in his class. Here we have variety. Menachem Mendel, Nachman, Avraham Yitzchak, Meir David (Kahana), Yosef Chaim and Dvir are all in the same cheder.

Zus

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:29 am
Mazarl tov is a very common sefardic name.

I heard about a girl called Gam Zu LeTova...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:35 am
Capitalchick wrote:

Oh..and can we Jews please reclaim the name "Isaiah" for boys....I love that name, but I feel like if I name my son that, he'll end up in a gang and then in jail.

who on Earth would use Isaiah except a Jew??

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:35 am
YESHASettler wrote:
And then there's the Israeli character Ziva on NCIS which depending on how you spell it, means gonorrhea.

Don't you mean זבה?
זיבה would be with shayachut, like "her gonorrhea", no? Very Happy

Names I really heard being called, and I have posted this before: שרהל'ה מלכה שבת כלה and her brother שמע ישראל and we *really* heard his mother calling: Shma Yisrael, where's your underwear?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:37 am
chaylizi wrote:
a little boy named seven. his mom thought it was a really neat name.

Seven is not so weird. Between Una, Settimo, Sixtine, Octave...
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names