Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If you sold your house that had work done
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 12:08 pm
If you did some home improvements (e.g. another bathroom etc.) in Brooklyn without the necessary permits, is there a way to prevent this from causing issues during the selling process? I'm especially concerned that when a buyer has the house appraised as part of the process of obtaining a mortgage, it may create a problem.

We were considering doing things with permits, but it was during COVID and it would've taken a long time and complicate things.

Please no judgement. Looking to sell, and concerned about a situation where a deal could fall through because of this.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 12:15 pm
Are you talking about an extension or just work inside? Nobody cares what you did inside. We added bathrooms, renovated whole house and sold with no issue. Nobody cares. Some People who did extensions have issues but there’s ways to deal with it

YounginBP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 12:17 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Are you talking about an extension or just work inside? Nobody cares what you did inside. We added bathrooms, renovated whole house and sold with no issue. Nobody cares. Some People who did extensions have issues but there’s ways to deal with it

Exactly this. No worries if it is interior.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 12:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you did some home improvements (e.g. another bathroom etc.) in Brooklyn without the necessary permits, is there a way to prevent this from causing issues during the selling process? I'm especially concerned that when a buyer has the house appraised as part of the process of obtaining a mortgage, it may create a problem.

We were considering doing things with permits, but it was during COVID and it would've taken a long time and complicate things.

Please no judgement. Looking to sell, and concerned about a situation where a deal could fall through because of this.

I don’t think anyone can reassure you that there won’t be any problems. We looked at a house a while ago with a similar situation and were told there can be issues when work is done without legal permits.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 12:21 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I don’t think anyone can reassure you that there won’t be any problems. We looked at a house a while ago with a similar situation and were told there can be issues when work is done without legal permits.

In Brooklyn??? No way. Nobody knows what the inside should look like or what was or wasn’t done.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 12:38 pm
My parents were always concerned about this. After many years they were finally convinced that fixing up the basement and adding a bathroom would actually increase the value.
They even took down part of the wall of the garage to add to the basement. You can’t tell anything from the outside.
I don’t know about extensions/exterior work.

I think that in general frum people would want to buy a house that has extra space.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 12:45 pm
So all the improvements were interior. No extensions/ expansions. But we were recently told that the additional bathroom/shower in particular could be an issue. I'm concerned that problems could come up during either inspection, home appraisal (for the buyer to get mortgage), or when during title search the differences are noticed. I don't want the sale to fall through -- not for us, and not for the buyer.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 12:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
So all the improvements were interior. No extensions/ expansions. But we were recently told that the additional bathroom/shower in particular could be an issue. I'm concerned that problems could come up during either inspection, home appraisal (for the buyer to get mortgage), or when during title search the differences are noticed. I don't want the sale to fall through -- not for us, and not for the buyer.

I think adding a bathroom in a basement is more problematic than on the main floors but even so nobody could tell you if you will have problems you will have to see what happens.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 12:54 pm
I think this would be unheard of. The inspection is just done by the potential buyer to make sure there’s no structural problem. The appraiser is just coming to make sure the home isn’t worth less money than the mortgage is for. None of these ppl care how many bathrooms the house originally had. I’ve never seen that listed on any documents of either houses we bought or sold. Both had bathrooms added and nobody even asked. I would have zero worries.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:00 pm
I don’t know why anyone is saying no one cares. If for some reason they find out you did illegal construction it would be on the new owner to pay a fine or demolish.

And they can find out. And they sometimes do. Some people might not care and some won’t want to purchase the house like that.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:01 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
I think this would be unheard of. The inspection is just done by the potential buyer to make sure there’s no structural problem. The appraiser is just coming to make sure the home isn’t worth less money than the mortgage is for. None of these ppl care how many bathrooms the house originally had. I’ve never seen that listed on any documents of either houses we bought or sold. Both had bathrooms added and nobody even asked. I would have zero worries.

That’s very ignorant. The city is the one who cares and they can find out and it would cause the new owner problems. It’s a risk. And some people are fine taking the risk others are not.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

I know people who were able to sell with illegal construction. Worse case scenario it falls through. At that point you can pay the fines and get it inspected and fixed. Worry about it when it happens.

Einikel

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:05 pm
Don't take my word for it, but I think if you have a C of O it's fine.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:06 pm
We bought a house with an illegal extension (non Jewish original owner). We got a private mortgage.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:06 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
That’s very ignorant. The city is the one who cares and they can find out and it would cause the new owner problems. It’s a risk. And some people are fine taking the risk others are not.

Do you know of anybody in flatbush who ever had this issue? I’ve literally never heard of it happen. No real estate agent ever commented when we sold our houses that it may be an issue. Every person in my block pretty much added bathrooms and nobody had any issue selling. I think those problems happen in Long Island and other places but at least in Flatbush this is just not a thing I ever heard of happening. I would ask some of the main re agents if they have ever heard of this.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:14 pm
To add to this… even when people do illegal extensions in Flatbush and get reported, when the bldg dept comes to check on the report, they come several weeks later (and by th at time you close up anything active so they don’t find a problem), and even then only look at whether there’s anything on the outside that looks to the eye like active construction. Even then they don’t go in and count bathrooms nor do they even come with records of how many bathrooms “should” be there. I really don’t see how this would be a problem if you’re talking interior work.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:32 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Do you know of anybody in flatbush who ever had this issue? I’ve literally never heard of it happen. No real estate agent ever commented when we sold our houses that it may be an issue. Every person in my block pretty much added bathrooms and nobody had any issue selling. I think those problems happen in Long Island and other places but at least in Flatbush this is just not a thing I ever heard of happening. I would ask some of the main re agents if they have ever heard of this.

Yes I know people who had to pay fines and file the correct paperwork. How is the world do you think you can possibly know what happened to every person in such a big area? It happens in Brooklyn all the time. Inspectors go inside if they suspect issues.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:34 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
In Brooklyn??? No way. Nobody knows what the inside should look like or what was or wasn’t done.

Of course they do. You realize the person who built the house legally filed the plans? If your inside looks different than those legally filed plans you are up the creek. You don’t sound like you know much about how building works in regards to legal, paperwork and the city. So you should probably not give ignorant advice.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:41 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Of course they do. You realize the person who built the house legally filed the plans? If your inside looks different than those legally filed plans you are up the creek. You don’t sound like you know much about how building works in regards to legal, paperwork and the city. So you should probably not give ignorant advice.

We bought, gutted, and sold two houses in Flatbush over last ten years. Now just gutted another one. Never with permits. Have 3 neighbors mid same thing. Asked multiple real estate agents, brokers, annd contractors annd none ever had an issue with selling or buying of houses with interior work. Extensions anre an diff story. And yes sometimes ppl get caught mid work, that’s a different story. This op talking about selling though, an already completed job. Are you actually from Flatbush? Cuz really nobody worries about this stuff here. It’s beyond rare to get permits for inside work.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 1:47 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
We bought, gutted, and sold two houses in Flatbush over last ten years. Now just gutted another one. Never with permits. Have 3 neighbors mid same thing. Asked multiple real estate agents, brokers, annd contractors annd none ever had an issue with selling or buying of houses with interior work. Extensions anre an diff story. And yes sometimes ppl get caught mid work, that’s a different story. This op talking about selling though, an already completed job. Are you actually from Flatbush? Cuz really nobody worries about this stuff here. It’s beyond rare to get permits for inside work.

Yes I am and in my circles it’s rare to not get permits. Many people run in front of speeding cars and live. That doesn’t make it less risky. It means you took a risk and didn’t get caught. But don’t pretend it’s not a huge risk and it doesn’t cost people a lot of money when they are caught.

I’m also really shocked that you are handing out advice when you don’t know the city has architecture plans of the inside of all legal construction.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating