Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
If you have a pesach kitchen- did you start cooking?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 4:37 am
I start 3 days before pesach . I can’t even imagine such a bizarre thing . My mouth is halfway hanging open ….

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 4:55 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I start 3 days before pesach . I can’t even imagine such a bizarre thing . My mouth is halfway hanging open ….
o

3 days before would never be enough time. I bake a ton for pesach. I work and have no cleaning help
And host my parents. My pesach kitchen is a table in my basement with a crockpot and convection oven.

Starting after purim when the ingredients come out I make one thing at night.

But to start now?! No way! Too busy trying to keeping up with regular life

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 5:02 am
amother Olive wrote:
o

3 days before would never be enough time. I bake a ton for pesach. I work and have no cleaning help
And host my parents. My pesach kitchen is a table in my basement with a crockpot and convection oven.

Starting after purim when the ingredients come out I make one thing at night.

But to start now?! No way! Too busy trying to keeping up with regular life

So I do have lots of cleaning help , but I work MANY, MANY hours …

But during Covid I did everything myself and I still only started a few days before . For me it’s way to overwhelming to start so far in advance . And I strongly dislike frozen food as well so it would be a waste .

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 5:07 am
Two adars this year.
Too early

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 5:14 am
Mayflower wrote:
You can't compare sukkos to pesach. A lot of people make everything from scratch for pesach. Also, you have to make three proper meals for 8 days (and a few days before pesach probably) - no easy pasta for dinner, sandwiches for lunch or cereals for breakfast. And don't get me started on the snacks... Not to mention the fact that people often host and need to cook for a crowd.
I totally understand starting 2-3 months in advance, preparing one or two dishes a day and not having to stress before yom tov (AND actually being able to enjoy chol hamoed instead of slaving away in the kitchen all day).

Did I start? Ehm no. I'm aiming for after Purim, but will most likely only start cooking after rosh chodesh Nissan.

I actually find Succos cooking more of a pressure because not only am I cooking for a month versus a week, there’s a different expectation of what I need to serve. We keep Pesach food very simple and sure there’s complaints but everyone gets that were limited in time and ingredients and it is what it is. And since my upper elementary kids are off the few days before yontif they help in the kitchen a lot and we get a ton done in a few days. For the Tishrei yomim tovim my family expects homemade challah which is time consuming for so many meals and in general a somewhat upgraded menu than a regular Shabbos. For that I start in Av.

dankbar

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 5:33 am
I'm wondering about matzah in freezer, doesn't it became moist in freezer, making it be a shalah of chometz?

I guess it's a problem if you don't do gebrokts, if you do, then maybe it's same thing.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 5:42 am
I’lll start closer to Purim.
I start with lukshen for the soup - baking and deserts.
Too early for me to start now.
But do what works for you!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 7:34 am
dankbar wrote:
I'm wondering about matzah in freezer, doesn't it became moist in freezer, making it be a shalah of chometz?

I guess it's a problem if you don't do gebrokts, if you do, then maybe it's same thing.

Not a problem at all, my matza was perfectly dry.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 7:59 am
I have a pesach kitchen but we eat zero processed food aside for shmura matza and wine.
I have found that foods need to be very fresh to be enjoyed this way. I start cooking 2 days before, making a huge pot of chicken soup and a huge pot of homemade applesauce/compote. I make roast then too so I can put it in the fridge before I slice it.
There's no baking, no kugels. I work very very hard on pesach but I don't cook before hand.

NechaMom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:01 am
dankbar wrote:

Just to clarify, I was kidding.
Was surprised to read afterwards that someone has that for real.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:04 am
I did NOT start cooking!
It’s just that I’ve been thinking that I wish I could.
Pesach is very hard for me. I feel like I run a hotel and I’m also the caterer.
I don’t have a large family but I still have a few children bh and we have many guests coming and going.
I usually don’t start cooking until a week before and I find it very hard because during that time of intense cooking and baking my family still needs to eat and I’m busy trying to prepare chometz food on the side while I’m cooking pesach food in the kitchen.
I don’t cook anything fancy for pesach. It’s just that I need a bulk amount of chicken soup, potato kugel and cakes. Plus lots of other things too. I’m in the kitchen non stop from a week before pesach and during the entire pesach too.
I’m so worn out and exhausted from pesach cooking.
I don’t have a pesach kitchen.
I was supposed to have one this year but it’s not happening. I keep imagining that if I had a pesach kitchen I could start baking cakes and kugels… meat etc . And just load the freezer and have a really peaceful pesach.
I don’t work so this extra Adar is interesting to me. It’s like a gift (this extra moth) and I’m not using it. I’m doing what I do every year and save it all for the last minute. I keep thinking.. maybe I should quickly buy an oven- keep it in my garage and start cooking now? But I really need more than an oven. I need running water too… I don’t know … I just want to avoid that pesach cooking craziness that happens every year.
Many things we make from scratch which is so time consuming. I have a neighbor who has a pesach kitchen and she once told me that she cooks a little each week starting after Chanuka and since she does that she goes into pesach very calmly. That’s my dream. Which is why I was asking.
I guess if you don’t need to cook in bulk it doesn’t matter that much to start early.
I think I usually use 20 potato kugels over pesach and 40 quarts of soup.
Not sure what the solution is. I’m trying to figure one out.
I do have cleaning help but very minimal. I don’t have the cleaning help working with food since there is so much else that needs to get done. Sometimes washing pots and dishes but only if she happens to be there at the time.
You don’t need pesach ingredients to make kugels. I always save potato starch and ground nuts (sealed) in my pesach closet so all I would need is eggs, oil, sugar, cocoa… not hard to find kfp. Okay…. I’m dreaming. Just wishing I could be cooking so pesach will be easier for me.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:14 am
NechaMom wrote:
Just to clarify, I was kidding.
Was surprised to read afterwards that someone has that for real.

Smile
We bought too much last year so I stashed it in the freezer and told DH no need to buy. One less task to think of Smile

corolla

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:18 am
As much as I love cooking in advance, I DO NOT want to eat food that's been in the freezer for 2 months. I'll start after Purim.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:19 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Smile
We bought too much last year so I stashed it in the freezer and told DH no need to buy. One less task to think of Smile

You mean you put boxes of shmura matzah in the freezer??
How many pounds?
How do you know it will be good?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:21 am
amother OP wrote:
I did NOT start cooking!
It’s just that I’ve been thinking that I wish I could.
Pesach is very hard for me. I feel like I run a hotel and I’m also the caterer.
I don’t have a large family but I still have a few children bh and we have many guests coming and going.
I usually don’t start cooking until a week before and I find it very hard because during that time of intense cooking and baking my family still needs to eat and I’m busy trying to prepare chometz food on the side while I’m cooking pesach food in the kitchen.
I don’t cook anything fancy for pesach. It’s just that I need a bulk amount of chicken soup, potato kugel and cakes. Plus lots of other things too. I’m in the kitchen non stop from a week before pesach and during the entire pesach too.
I’m so worn out and exhausted from pesach cooking.
I don’t have a pesach kitchen.
I was supposed to have one this year but it’s not happening. I keep imagining that if I had a pesach kitchen I could start baking cakes and kugels… meat etc . And just load the freezer and have a really peaceful pesach.
I don’t work so this extra Adar is interesting to me. It’s like a gift (this extra moth) and I’m not using it. I’m doing what I do every year and save it all for the last minute. I keep thinking.. maybe I should quickly buy an oven- keep it in my garage and start cooking now? But I really need more than an oven. I need running water too… I don’t know … I just want to avoid that pesach cooking craziness that happens every year.
Many things we make from scratch which is so time consuming. I have a neighbor who has a pesach kitchen and she once told me that she cooks a little each week starting after Chanuka and since she does that she goes into pesach very calmly. That’s my dream. Which is why I was asking.
I guess if you don’t need to cook in bulk it doesn’t matter that much to start early.
I think I usually use 20 potato kugels over pesach and 40 quarts of soup.
Not sure what the solution is. I’m trying to figure one out.
I do have cleaning help but very minimal. I don’t have the cleaning help working with food since there is so much else that needs to get done. Sometimes washing pots and dishes but only if she happens to be there at the time.
You don’t need pesach ingredients to make kugels. I always save potato starch and ground nuts (sealed) in my pesach closet so all I would need is eggs, oil, sugar, cocoa… not hard to find kfp. Okay…. I’m dreaming. Just wishing I could be cooking so pesach will be easier for me.

Pesach kitchen is my dream too. Do you have the space to install one?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:22 am
amother OP wrote:
You mean you put boxes of shmura matzah in the freezer??
How many pounds?
How do you know it will be good?

One kilo of matza shmura and yes it will be good. I've had this in the past and it was fine Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:23 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Pesach kitchen is my dream too. Do you have the space to install one?

Yes, I do. We almost did the work but it didn’t happen at the end. Maybe next year?

NechaMom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:24 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
One kilo of matza shmura and yes it will be good. I've had this in the past and it was fine Smile

You can probably rebake them for extra crisp

Rappel

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:26 am
NechaMom wrote:
The matzah is in my freezer already. Salt water too. The rest is no big deal.
LOL

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 9:17 am
FOR ME- something always happens a week before Pesach
So I’ve learned my lesson
I try to be completely pesachdik by Rosh Chodesh Nissan.
————————————————————-
That first week I make roasts, prep chicken frozen raw, sautée ground beef to use for different recipes,
I also make crepes, cookies, cakes
—————————————————————
Those 2 weeks before we make kitniyot
Pesach rice pasta, rice with peas, rice cakes
Or if it’s chametz like pizza or buns we eat it in a designated space.
So, yes my family eats pesachdik for 3 weeks but with so much kitniyot in the market it’s ok.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics