Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
If you have a pesach kitchen- did you start cooking?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 12:27 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
One kilo of matza shmura and yes it will be good. I've had this in the past and it was fine Smile

Isn’t 1 kilo around 2 pounds? That’s not enough for pesach. You said you don’t have to buy this year…
I think we used 18 pounds last year.
Unfortunately we usually throw out unused matzah. Very interesting about the freezer. I’m not sure I want to take up valuable freezer space the whole year but that could save a lot of money.
How do you freeze it? Do you wrap it up?

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 1:09 pm
We eat all of our leftover matzah! Yum!

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 3:02 pm
Op why don’t you stock up now on chometz foods your kids can eat between Nissan and pesach? So you don’t have to worry about their suppers while cooking for pesach?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 3:17 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Op why don’t you stock up now on chometz foods your kids can eat between Nissan and pesach? So you don’t have to worry about their suppers while cooking for pesach?

Stocking up is not the problem. I need to stop what I’m doing in order to toast a bagel and smear cream cheese. Or heat up a slice of pizza. No one is getting gourmet meals at that time. It’s just time consuming to have to stop what I’m doing with pesach food and handle the chometz food at the same time.
( I usually keep a folding table in my dining room which has all the chometz things we need for the week- toaster oven, small microwave, electric burner…)

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 3:40 pm
Op just saying most people with pesach kitchens don’t start so early.
It’s usually not necessary and overkill.
There is and advantage to pesach kitchens, definitely! But they’re usually closed until after Purim.

Also if it’s in an open space the stress of keeping the chometz away is usually not worth it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 4:07 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
We eat all of our leftover matzah! Yum!

We save some for Pesach sheini and I grind the rest into matzah meal to be used for knaidlach or matzah meal cereal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 4:10 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Op just saying most people with pesach kitchens don’t start so early.
It’s usually not necessary and overkill.
There is and advantage to pesach kitchens, definitely! But they’re usually closed until after Purim.

Also if it’s in an open space the stress of keeping the chometz away is usually not worth it.

I know….
It’s funny because in the past I’ve said quite strongly that I DONT want a pesach kitchen! I used to say that it would be too much for me to manage a pesach kitchen while I’m still dealing with chometz. All I wanted was to be able to turn over my regular kitchen very early so I could be done with the chometz and start cooking for pesach.
But times have changed. My kids are older now. They will be eating chometz up until the last minute- no matter what. I can’t just lock it up and put everything out of reach like I did when they were younger.
Last pesach I had guests in the double digits. I’m probably still burnt out from that and just trying to figure out an easier solution.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 4:23 pm
I would probably start Pesach now if I could because I'm on vacation this week and have the time. But I don't know what's available in the stores where you live, but in my neck of the woods there are no KLP groceries available and won't be until two weeks after Purim. The only thing I could make would be compote and for that I'm not going to open the kitchen.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 4:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Isn’t 1 kilo around 2 pounds? That’s not enough for pesach. You said you don’t have to buy this year…
I think we used 18 pounds last year.
Unfortunately we usually throw out unused matzah. Very interesting about the freezer. I’m not sure I want to take up valuable freezer space the whole year but that could save a lot of money.
How do you freeze it? Do you wrap it up?

I freeze still closed packages in aluminium foil and wrap in cling film.
We don't eat a lot matza during Pesach.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 4:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know….
It’s funny because in the past I’ve said quite strongly that I DONT want a pesach kitchen! I used to say that it would be too much for me to manage a pesach kitchen while I’m still dealing with chometz. All I wanted was to be able to turn over my regular kitchen very early so I could be done with the chometz and start cooking for pesach.
But times have changed. My kids are older now. They will be eating chometz up until the last minute- no matter what. I can’t just lock it up and put everything out of reach like I did when they were younger.
Last pesach I had guests in the double digits. I’m probably still burnt out from that and just trying to figure out an easier solution.

Cook and freeze chometz meals in advance if possible, it would take off some stress.
I find the turning over very stressful.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 5:07 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I freeze still closed packages in aluminium foil and wrap in cling film.
We don't eat a lot matza during Pesach.

Do you open a Whole matzoh each meal? 3 per seder?
How do you do it?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 6:04 pm
Matza can be kept but does not need to be in the freezer from year to year (I think it would also spoil it) - just keep it airtight and then crispen them in the oven.

Many butchers are Pesachdik from Chanuka, as they need sell to other pesach food manufacturers and caterers etc.

To OP - If your neighbor has a pesach kitchen and only uses it sporadically now, then maybe ask her if you can come by & make some pesach dishes by her when she is not using it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 6:14 pm
amother Orange wrote:
I would probably start Pesach now if I could because I'm on vacation this week and have the time. But I don't know what's available in the stores where you live, but in my neck of the woods there are no KLP groceries available and won't be until two weeks after Purim. The only thing I could make would be compote and for that I'm not going to open the kitchen.

You need eggs
Potatoes
Onions
Cocoa Powder- probably is kfp anyway
Potato starch- maybe some stores sell
Sugar
Vanilla- just make sure it’s says kfp
I wouldn’t buy chicken and meat yet unless I know for sure it’s kfp

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 7:17 pm
Yup, I'm a Yekke and already have it all taken care of - I submitted my entire take-out order on Tu B'Shevat! LOL

shoshana2

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 7:19 pm
No I haven't started cooking yet!

UQT

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 8:51 pm
I remember the year my mother was having a baby a few weeks before pesach so around two months before pesach she temporarily flipped over and cooked and baked up a storm. What a disappointing year! The ices, ice cream and cakes were completely flat. It doesn’t store well for months all those whipped up eggs.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 3:11 am
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Matza can be kept but does not need to be in the freezer from year to year (I think it would also spoil it) - just keep it airtight and then crispen them in the oven.

Many butchers are Pesachdik from Chanuka, as they need sell to other pesach food manufacturers and caterers etc.

To OP - If your neighbor has a pesach kitchen and only uses it sporadically now, then maybe ask her if you can come by & make some pesach dishes by her when she is not using it.

In Israel you better freeze matzah or it will be infested.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 3:15 am
UQT wrote:
I remember the year my mother was having a baby a few weeks before pesach so around two months before pesach she temporarily flipped over and cooked and baked up a storm. What a disappointing year! The ices, ice cream and cakes were completely flat. It doesn’t store well for months all those whipped up eggs.

Also depends what kind of freezer you have. A good deep freezer or a freezer which is a part of you fridge?

JLi

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 3:58 am
Vegetable Soup
Zucchini Soup
Orange Soup (butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes)
Onion Soup
Patsnip Soup
Applesauce

All don't require any special KLP ingredients.

Do you have any leftover ingredients from last year?

If you have oil, then I'd do sauteed onions and freeze.
If you have enough then maybe a few potato kugels for Erev Yom Tov.
If you have some potato starch, then make some Pesach Lukshen/ Crepes.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 4:31 am
NechaMom wrote:
The matzah is in my freezer already. Salt water too. The rest is no big deal.

🤣
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics