Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
POLL: Have you ever smacked your child?
1  2  Next

Did you ever smack your children?
Yes, and feel it is fine way to do chinuch  
 6%  [ 11 ]
Yes I lost myself but its ok for child to know Im not perfect.  
 47%  [ 82 ]
Yes, but cannot forgive myself  
 22%  [ 39 ]
No, but can understand if it was done it is not abuse  
 12%  [ 21 ]
NO! and I would call CPS on MYSELF if I did  
 10%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 171

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:50 pm
After the post where a mother felt guilty after hurting her child, there was a range of responses, from ABUSE to SMACK AWAY. And some in middle felt it was wrong, but still understandable.
Was wondering most peoples opinions.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
After the post where a mother felt guilty after hurting her child, there was a range of responses, from ABUSE to SMACK AWAY. And some in middle felt it was wrong, but still understandable.
Was wondering most peoples opinions.

Haven't we had enough smack threads in the past already? The smackers will smack, the other ones will yell abuse and nothing will change. What's the point of this thread?

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:54 pm
Define a smack.
I have given a slight tap on the hand for danger.
I don't think that's a smack.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:55 pm
I have potched lightly but I've never smacked

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:56 pm
I feel there’s a big jump between option 1 and 2, not so much between 2 and 3.

Yes, on occasion I smack my children. If they do something dangerous, or if they speak with chutzpah. That’s it. It’s a thought out decision that I feel warrants special treatment. I don’t feel good about it, nor do I do it often, but my kids know I mean business and it’s definitely a method of chinuch in that way. There are 2 things I want so clear that they will not do it again.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:56 pm
amother Blush wrote:
Haven't we had enough smack threads in the past already? The smackers will smack, the other ones will yell abuse and nothing will change. What's the point of this thread?

There are those of us who lost ourselves in the past, and maybe thought it was normal, but are now feeling like abusers based on responses from the original thread. A poll would give us clarity.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:57 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
I feel there’s a big jump between option 1 and 2, not so much between 2 and 3.

Yes, on occasion I smack my children. If they do something dangerous, or if they speak with chutzpah. That’s it. It’s a thought out decision that I feel warrants special treatment. I don’t feel good about it, nor do I do it often, but my kids know I mean business and it’s definitely a method of chinuch in that way. There are 2 things I want so clear that they will not do it again.

I will try to add the option. Thanks for pointing out

ETA not sure how to do that. Sorry

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:02 pm
I think many people potch because they are angry. Therefore, they are guilty afterwards for expressing their anger in a physical way. But if the patch was really for chinuch reasons, and to teach the child, rather than a release for the parent, it’s a different story and even if we are sorry it came to that, there’s no guilt involved.

imthatawesome

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
I will try to add the option. Thanks for pointing out

ETA not sure how to do that. Sorry

Report your post and ask a mod to add another poll option

NechaMom

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:30 pm
Add: Have you ever twisted a child’s arm.
Very different than a smack.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:32 pm
Somewhere between 2 and 3.

I don't think it's "okay," but at the same time I accept that I am human and made a correctable mistake. Additionally, I took steps to minimize the chance of it happening again. I wouldn't say "I don't forgive myself" but I still don't justify myself.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:43 pm
I have done it a few times over the first bunch yrs of parenting. I didn't think it was ok, and don't think it's ok for someone to do. At the same time I didnt beat myself up over it, just learned from it and worked on myself during those years. Bh I haven't hit a child since and it's a lot of years. I'm proud of myself - I grew up with hitting and am not continuing that pattern.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:46 pm
I didn't vote but my answer is that I've never smacked a child, and although I believe that while smacking is poor parenting, a few smacks from a loving parent who is trying their best may not cause lifelong damage in a child, there is a gray area where it does turn into abuse and it would be foolish to say that's not the case.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:49 pm
I rarely hit. It doesn't accomplish anything. I did it with my first because she was difficult but I saw that it didn't help so I stopped. I was hit occasionally as a child and so it was instinctive. Now when I do it, it's usually accidentally.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:51 pm
No but my child is just 1 so I haven’t had the temptation to. Didn’t answer the poll because I feel like I’d skew the results.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:12 pm
My parents were the most loving and nurturing parents who gave us their all. If we got smacked, we quickly learned that we crossed a line. It definitely happened at times, and it didn’t leave me feeling abused or traumatized. I didn’t like it; but I learned the boundary was crossed since I knew it wasn’t a common occursnce. I think once it’s more common it loses its effectiveness !

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:54 pm
This is fascinating! Imamother pretends to be this place where mothers are perfect and even in times of tremendous stress and overwhelm they speak in gentle words only.

Eye opening poll.

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:54 pm
I didn't really like the choices. I have done it, but NOT on a regular basis and I don't consider it a "regular" form of punishment. It has not happened in YEARS. It was done to eliminate a chutzpahdik-on-the-edge-of-danger pattern of behavior that was causing much bigger problems/threatening to other children in the house. The child LEARNED from the FEW times it occurred and now is much more in control of his behavior. My other kids it was maybe done once EVER and the entire point of it is that they NEVER do that behavior again. It was ALWAYS coupled with a debrief, love and attention in the aftermath and never as a form of anger or rage. Potching DOES have a place in chinuch, but 99% of the time it should only ever be a "threat" and it should not have to escalate to being used, but the child should know that it could happen if they cross the line. I can agree that if you do not know how to use it appropriately it is better to not use it, but it does not ALWAYS equate with abuse. Ineffective chinuch can lead to out of control behavior and that isn't healthier.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 11:41 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
This is fascinating! Imamother pretends to be this place where mothers are perfect and even in times of tremendous stress and overwhelm they speak in gentle words only.

Eye opening poll.

100 %

This was sort of the point of this poll, to show that not everyone is perfect, and we are all human.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 4:45 am
I've only hit as an immediate instinctive response to a toddler hitting or biting me. If I'd have time to think about it, I wouldn't do it, but I just have that instinct and I don't feel very guilty about it even though I don't think it's ideal.

My kids are generally well behaved.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics