Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Getting up early with kids

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:53 pm
I struggle a lot with getting out of bed early when my kids wake up. I often make my husband do it which leads to resentment on his part (valid). I feel like I’m stuck in a rut with this. If anyone has struggled with this and can share some kind of mantra or chizzuk that helps them please share here! Please be gentle Smile ty!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:54 pm
Can you split the days that you and dh get up? Go to sleep earlier? Special treat for yourself when you get up?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:56 pm
Can kids play while you sleep on a couch?
when my kids were small, I would.kewp.some toys in my room and they would play while we slept.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 9:01 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
Can you split the days that you and dh get up? Go to sleep earlier? Special treat for yourself when you get up?

Splitting days is a smart option… he usually does shabbos and Sunday which is nice but weekdays would be good cuz then it’s not an argument- it’s either my day or his day and I’ll try going to sleep earlier on my nights

amother
Opal

I’m very into having something I can look forward to having when I get out of bed.
Maybe get a special creamer for your coffee or something good for breakfast.

amother
OP

amother Pumpkin wrote:
Can kids play while you sleep on a couch?
when my kids were small, I would.kewp.some toys in my room and they would play while we slept.

I could try this! Wouldn’t work in my room cuz they’d wreck it but maybe in other room

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 9:54 pm
I recently tried this.... It took a few weeks to work, but once it did, it was life changing.

Go to sleep earlier. Every night, for at least 2 weeks.

It will be SO much easier to get up on time/"early".

I was having trouble staying awake throughout the day without needing a nap. I also have little kids. I went to sleep at 9:30 PM every night for two weeks and I had so much more energy.

I don't think anything else will help if you don't try this first. And it won't work after 2-3 nights. You need consistency.

B'hatzlacha!

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 9:57 pm
How early are you talking? (Don’t you all have to be up for school and work?)

BatZion

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 11:10 pm
OP, going to bed consistently early is a game-changer.
I understand the need for downtime, but the inability to function in the morning isn't worth it.
It may be worth figuring out how you can have little windows of downtime in the day so that you don't have this huge need for it in the evening.
If this is what the issue is?
I've always been a morning person but went through stages of staying up late so I could get that downtime alone that I felt I so needed.
I've learned to grab time during the day- drinking a coffee alone in the quiet of the morning, reading a book either in our room or even on the couch, but telling the kids I want some quiet time to read so as not to disturb (as they play in the room), going for a walk, etc.
I go to bed super early (usually by 9) and wake up super early (4/5) to get some work in, sort myself out and get everything ready.
By the time my kids wake up, I've been awake for a couple of hours. I've gained more "me time," and we've all gained a well-rested, happier mom.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 4:07 am
BatZion wrote:
OP, going to bed consistently early is a game-changer.
I understand the need for downtime, but the inability to function in the morning isn't worth it.
It may be worth figuring out how you can have little windows of downtime in the day so that you don't have this huge need for it in the evening.
If this is what the issue is?
I've always been a morning person but went through stages of staying up late so I could get that downtime alone that I felt I so needed.
I've learned to grab time during the day- drinking a coffee alone in the quiet of the morning, reading a book either in our room or even on the couch, but telling the kids I want some quiet time to read so as not to disturb (as they play in the room), going for a walk, etc.
I go to bed super early (usually by 9) and wake up super early (4/5) to get some work in, sort myself out and get everything ready.
By the time my kids wake up, I've been awake for a couple of hours. I've gained more "me time," and we've all gained a well-rested, happier mom.

It’s nearly impossible for me to get downtime during the day. But I will try getting to bed earlier

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 4:09 am
My solution is a simple one but difficult too.

I try my best to get to bed early. It's really important to me. I have a baby now who wakes me multiple times a night and it's brutal!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics