Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you give all your neighbors MM?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:07 pm
The ones you see on a regular basis.
Do you automatically give them or wait for them to come to you first?
I didn't say I don't want to give them. Just what happens if they weren't planning on giving me?
I only became friendly with some of my neighbors this year. I haven't given them in the past. What if they don't plan on me giving and don't have me on their list to give back to?

amother
White

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:36 pm
My immediate neighbors, so my block & the 2 around it (I live in a circle) I give every single person.
Don't want to hurt anyone.
That's what most ppl do by us.

mommyla

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:40 pm
amother White wrote:
My immediate neighbors, so my block & the 2 around it (I live in a circle) I give every single person.
Don't want to hurt anyone.
That's what most ppl do by us.

Same. I don’t make a list anymore. I just make a ton of MM and we walk around the neighborhood to give everyone.

But I honestly don’t expect one back from everyone, for some people we’ll just leave it at the door so they don’t feel like they have to give us.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:42 pm
I give my block for sure and lots of other neighbors we are friendly with. I find it odd when I give a neighbor and their like we have you thru the shul ....

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:49 pm
We try to make a whole bunch and give out to whoever comes by.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 5:14 pm
My kids are too young to go around themselves. I give to whoever comes to my door.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 2:56 pm
Where I was raised in (in town USA) we gave everyone. I moved to a large community in Europe and live a very frum block. Last year, I gave all my neighbors and got back a total of 1. (Not that I need it, but it didn’t feel so good.)

A few hours later, a neighbors kid knocked on my door with a wilted salad- you weren’t on our list but we decided to give you in the end.

Ouch.

I got the memo. This year I’m only giving close friends!

amother
Lily

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 6:36 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
I give my block for sure and lots of other neighbors we are friendly with. I find it odd when I give a neighbor and their like we have you thru the shul ....

Um ya if I chipped in to the shul I’m not making twice for all those ppl.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 6:49 pm
It’s unfriendly not to give neighbors on your block or that you have anything to do with- if someone didn’t give me I would think it odd

amother
IndianRed

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:56 pm
It depends what “block” means to you and where u live.
Giving to all neighbors in Brooklyn is not the same meaning as giving to all
Neighbors in Lakewood.

I make many and give to all neighbors on my almost completely frum block. If you do the math- its $30-$70 once a year that you pay to be a mentsh….

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 8:04 pm
I don't live on a block with many neighbors. 4 all together on both sides. I also don't make elaborate mm. Ever. Cupcakes and soda cans this year. We usually buy 2 nice ones. One for my husband's boss and one for his rebbe. Ze who. I buy simple pre made ones for my kids.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:38 pm
I give all the neighbors who I'm friendly with, like 10 fanilies who are my age/stage. We have over 100 people on my block so giving everyone isn't something that's done. My immediate neighbors I give even I'm not technically friends with them.

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:41 pm
I live in a building with about 40 frum neighbors. No, I don't give them all. Certainly not going down the block to next building.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:38 pm
I give to all my neighbors but we only have 7 close ones.
When I used to live in a complex in lakewood so tons of people, I gave to most, unless I had zero connection with them.
That's the price for being b'shalom with our neighbors and exactly the point of giving mm! I don't expect any in return but most people gave some back.

amother
Peru

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:45 pm
I live in an apartment building. We usually give the frum neighbors (and the one non frum neighbor we know and see).
We usually don't get anything back except the one that is across the hall. Sometimes towards the end of Purim we might get a bag by the door (obviously we weren't on their list and they did something last minute). It hurts especially as we do this every year and people don't return. We still do for Shalom. But honestly thinking of cutting it real back this year due to finances...
This is in addition to friends.
We don't give people in other buildings just to give.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics