Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is it worth moving from Boro Park to Staten Island?

courage2change

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:24 pm
Hi
I would like to hear what people who are living in Staten Island think... Is it worth the exchange of the conveniences of Boro Park? I know it's more affordable but I grew up in Boro Park and can't see myself moving. I know the actual infrastructure hasn't taken off much and people rely on Boro Park for schools etc... Do you think the infrastructure will grow? Is it worth the trade off? I hear some people love living there and some don't,...

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 5:41 am
I live here for many years.. if you drive the move will be easier then if you dont... look for a house on a block that has other Jewish families.. then you will love it.. kids going to boro park to school it's the mothers that are nervous for them.. the kids enjoy the bus ride.. you can do most of your shopping here at this point. Noone can make the decision if it's worth it besides for you. People that don't like it are usually the ones that don't drive and work in Brooklyn and find it hard going bak and forth daily.

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 5:43 am
I would say do your research well. I know someone who moved. Both drive. They ended up moving back. They were very unhappy. My pharmacist told me he knows plenty of such people. He says Staten Island he has the most customers unhappy.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 6:07 am
tweety1 wrote:
I would say do your research well. I know someone who moved. Both drive. They ended up moving back. They were very unhappy. My pharmacist told me he knows plenty of such people. He says Staten Island he has the most customers unhappy.

What's so terrible about Staten Island?

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 6:34 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What's so terrible about Staten Island?

Is be unhappy too if I lived in Staten Island and had a gossipy pharmacist in Brooklyn!

I grew up in SI; obviously I’m not chassidish but even so, we all commuted for school. I rode a school bus from grade 1-12. It was great! I can’t imagine that being a reason not to move. SIers always knew growing up how lucky we were to grow up in SI

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:07 am
tweety1 wrote:

That's the minority. I know people in Linden and Union that moved back. You have that everywhere.

My kids love the bus ride, they have friends nearby (not on the block, the block over or around the corner) Shopping isn't an issue, there are stores here and we're super close to the mall.
The good part is that we're close to BP but far enough to leave the traffic and the city stress all behind us!

There are even a few girls that chose to stay here once they got married. That newlywed club is growing bh!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:08 am
Maybe go for a Shabbos and then decide.

GLUE

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:26 am
amother Violet wrote:
Maybe go for a Shabbos and then decide.

I lived one summer of my life in Boro Park and it was one of the worst summers of my life
I lived in Staten Island for a lot of years and they were good years so I am a bit biased.

Not good advise to just go for Shabbos, Shabbos is one day a week you need to be able to live there for the other 6.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:35 am
I love the calm, peaceful lifestyle here. So do my kids. I live in a very Jewish area so we have many wonderful neighbors. BUT the fact is, as your kids get older it gets a lot harder . They can't just get together with friends, run out for errands, each time there are extra curricular activities to stay late for, the rides can be an issue...
I don't know if I'd be able to move back to bp with it's noise and hustle and bustle, but before making such a move, think it through week of the pros outweigh the cons for you.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:02 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
I love the calm, peaceful lifestyle here. So do my kids. I live in a very Jewish area so we have many wonderful neighbors. BUT the fact is, as your kids get older it gets a lot harder . They can't just get together with friends, run out for errands, each time there are extra curricular activities to stay late for, the rides can be an issue...
I don't know if I'd be able to move back to bp with it's noise and hustle and bustle, but before making such a move, think it through week of the pros outweigh the cons for you.

So the issue is if the mom doesn’t drive? are the majority of families in SI non driving?

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 3:16 am
I moved here this past year first of all it’s a real community nothing like knowing your Neibhor’s really care. I love my big house would have never happened in BP. We have guest here now all the time it’s so nice. The light the sunsets here are unreal. There is a lot going on for stay at home moms. Challah bakes at least 1x a month many times more. There is a marriage series every tues dance every Thursday parenting class as a few basketball games. In the summer there is pool groups every day. I love how most embrace the most more simple life. In general it’s a very thrifty mindset here. There are 2 chasdush boys chediur for under 9. There is a girls school I think until 4th grade. My 5 year old is out from 8:30-5:30 but she lovees the bus . They make good friends on the bus. The amount of rides giving is unreal. We never leave without passing the hitch spot. They built a new Shulman Mannor heights that is huge and stunning. My hub and loves it he says even if we win the lottery he is never moving. It’s easy to open an in home business. Thr men have wend night leaving group. I don’t drive yet trying to learn

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 4:08 am
amother Peony wrote:
I moved here this past year first of all it’s a real community nothing like knowing your Neibhor’s really care. I love my big house would have never happened in BP. We have guest here now all the time it’s so nice. The light the sunsets here are unreal. There is a lot going on for stay at home moms. Challah bakes at least 1x a month many times more. There is a marriage series every tues dance every Thursday parenting class as a few basketball games. In the summer there is pool groups every day. I love how most embrace the most more simple life. In general it’s a very thrifty mindset here. There are 2 chasdush boys chediur for under 9. There is a girls school I think until 4th grade. My 5 year old is out from 8:30-5:30 but she lovees the bus . They make good friends on the bus. The amount of rides giving is unreal. We never leave without passing the hitch spot. They built a new Shulman Mannor heights that is huge and stunning. My hub and loves it he says even if we win the lottery he is never moving. It’s easy to open an in home business. Thr men have wend night leaving group. I don’t drive yet trying to learn

I will second everything that's written here! It's a great community.

Where is the second chassidish cheder? I just know of one. The other cheder that opened is geared for yeshivish boys, like RJJ type.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 4:38 am
I live in si and love it! It is quiet and slower paced here. Really helps if you both drive and have 2 cars, however many many families have 1 car and mother that doesn't drive and somehow they manage. I would never move back! Before I made the decision to move here I spent a few Shabbosim here and dh went to a few shuls to get a feel of he would be comfortable in any of them.
I got to meet some of the people and we were hooked.. there are some people who end up not liking it and moving back or moving to monsey but It's definitely a very small minority.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 5:50 am
I moved to SI almost two years ago and never looked back. I do drive and we have two cars. I think it would be very difficult for me if I didn't drive- especially since I don't live right near the grocery etc (20+ minute walk). It is so peaceful here , very community minded and I really enjoy that even though we are all very different types we're all very much part of the community. I feel like in Boro Park you end up hanging out/being friends/ living near people that are very similar to you. When you live in a "smaller" community, you end up meeting all different kinds of people. I've never met an unwelcoming person here. I am very grateful that we made the move!

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 5:50 am
amother Peony wrote:

I live on SI. I've been to some of the challah bakes ( run by RR) but never heard of the marriage series every tues and dance every Thursday. How does one find out?

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 5:52 am
amother Violet wrote:
I live on SI. I've been to some of the challah bakes ( run by RR) but never heard of the marriage series every tues and dance every Thursday. How does one find out?

RR also organized the marriage series by Reb. Wachsman.
There are a few people that do dance, pilates, yoga and fitness. Not sure which is specifically Thursdays....

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:55 am
Miriam E goes to the dance class it’s in the young Israel I believe

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:55 am
Miriam E goes to the dance class it’s in the young Israel I believe

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 6:06 pm
Yes it is worth it
You cant compare life here or to bp
we dont have crazy traffic and we actually have trees and grass! I moved here 3 years ago and I wouldnt go back to bp if you paid me!
there is one chassidish cheder-sanz and one litfish cheder-yeshiva ketana of staten island
There is bnos chaya for girls (good luck getting in) and theres yeled vyalda up to kindergarten.
Most bp schools have bussing to staten Island
we have 2 full groceries, clothing store, shoe store, hosiery store, baby layette store, sefarim store basically everything you need
I drive and have 2 cars so I cant say I would love it if I didnt drive
but I love my 3 floor house that I own with my driveway and backyard where my mortgage is less than the retarted bp tiny apartment prices
You can reach me if youre planning on moving and need help

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 6:11 pm
tweety1 wrote:

All my pharmacist talks to me about is prescriptions and medications cuz thats what hes licensed in
No idea where your pharmacist got his knowledge of staten Island license in college
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating