Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Keep home after fever?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:22 am
For my playgroup kids I do this but wondering if it also applies for elementary kids. Dc was sick for one day, fever didn’t come back that night and the next day dc wakes up feeling fine and back to themselves. They want to go back to school.

Can I send or I need to keep home till 24 hours fever free?

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:25 am
24 hours fever free otherwise they are usually still contagious

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:27 am
Keep them home. One of my pet peeves when parents bury their head in the sand and send the kid off.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:50 am
I keep home for the morning and if they’re still fever free by late morning I’ll send them for the rest of the day.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:55 am
If fever was really a one time deal and there are no major symptoms I would send an elementary age child.

lilytee

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:56 am
If your child is acting completely like their usual self I would send to school.

Anonymiss 1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:32 am
Home until 24hr fever-free. That’s also the school policy in every place I know.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:11 am
Our pediatrician says 12 hours fever free feeling fine with no symptoms.

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:51 am
Fever free for 24 hours.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:05 pm
mommyhood wrote:
I keep home for the morning and if they’re still fever free by late morning I’ll send them for the rest of the day.

My pediatrician said at the very least must be 24 hours fever free.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:05 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
Keep them home. One of my pet peeves when parents bury their head in the sand and send the kid off.

Agree. I guess now we know why the kids keep coming home from school sick…

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:34 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Agree. I guess now we know why the kids keep coming home from school sick…

Exactly! It's gets me so mad.

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:38 pm
Cheiny wrote:
My pediatrician said at the very least must be 24 hours fever free.

The very least is true. My pediatrician recently told me about the flu. It takes a full week to run its course. Dc had the flu, was fever free for 2 days then got fever again for 3 days. He said it's the same flu. He said that's why the flu is one of the most contagious diseases. Kid is fever free for 24 hours. Still hacking coughing away, under the weather etc but fever free for 24 hours and back to school. He said in his world he would make parents sign a document once a child gets a positive flu test to keep the kid home for a full week.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:57 pm
Ok, it REALLY depends what the kid is sick with.
Im a nurse.
Flu, yes absolutely needs at least 24 hours fever free.
But with children and colds, its a whole nother ballgame.
People who have colds are contagious a day or 2 before it starts, and remain contagious all the way through the end of the cold, until symptoms leave. Think runny nose, cough etc. As long as that kid is blowing his nose in tissues, he is contagious. And that can easily take 2 weeks.
NOW, specifically with children, its common to develop a fever at one point during their cold. Often, the fever lasts just a day or 2, even only 24 hours. So ok, you can decide to wait 24 hours after the fever stopped, but if your child only has a cold, he was contagious before the fever and he will remain contagious after the fever, until all cold symptoms have gone. So you can feel good about yourself for waiting 24 hours before sending him back to school, but the truth is your kid can continue infecting his class for another week or two 😀

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:07 pm
mommyhood wrote:

Why not just give them the full day off when they are likely contagious?

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:23 pm
I always wait until my kids are fever free for 24 hours and feeling better before sending them back to school. Often they'll have fever and feel awful one day, then the next day they'll feel much better and not have fever only for the fever to come back in the evening.

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:49 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
I always wait until my kids are fever free for 24 hours and feeling better before sending them back to school. Often they'll have fever and feel awful one day, then the next day they'll feel much better and not have fever only for the fever to come back in the evening.

That happens alot. That's why it's fever free for 24 hours.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:42 pm
My 5 year old told me she overheard her teachers talking about what happens when kids come back to school too soon…

mommyhood

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:05 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Why not just give them the full day off when they are likely contagious?

If I thought they were contagious I would keep them home but when they’ve been fever and symptom free since the evening before and they’re like that the first few hours of the next day in my experience they stay like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children