Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Not picking up on colors
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:44 am
Dc three has learned it in playgroup didn't pick up. Learned it in school and is still clueless. Concerning?

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:45 am
Is he color blind?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:50 am
amother OP wrote:
Dc three has learned it in playgroup didn't pick up. Learned it in school and is still clueless. Concerning?

Not likely. Colors isn’t something that can really be taught (despite the fact that preschools teach it.) It has to “click” in their brains and can just take longer for some kids.

How’s he doing otherwise? What do the teachers say?

amother
Black

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:53 am
I don’t know if I would panic. My child also 3 picked up on colors but not on shapes yet.
Colors I’ve made a major part of of conversations and that’s why I think she picked up on it. Before she could talk I would say “yellow banana, green ball, pink dress…”.
Now I’m working to incorporate shapes into our conversation (it is harder than colors) and I think if I keep doing that one day what she learned in school will click.

amother
OP

mha3484 wrote:
Is he color blind?

How would I know?

amother
Holly

My child didn't know colors either and we thought possibly he might be color blind buy he wasn't it was just something he didn't pick up right away.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:15 am
They can't sort different colors, or they can't name the colors accurately? Most children should be able to recognise that color is different from that one, even if they can't name the colors correctly.

leaf

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:16 am
amother OP wrote:
How would I know?

Give him dif colored blocks and demonstrate sorting by color and ask him to sort. If he can sort by color he is not color blind even if he hasnt yet learned the names of the colors.
(Some ppl can differentiate btwn most colors but are red-green color blind...)

In terms of teaching colors, make it significant for him. Ask him if he wants to wear the green shirt or the red shirt, while holding the shirt that you are referring to. The yellow cup or the blue cup etc.

Try focusing on one color at a time. start with primary colors ( red, blue, yellow). Start with red..
Play a lot of candyland and remove the cards of some of the colors (remove secondsry colors at first (green, orange, purple)

I am yet to meet kids who did not learn colors eventually. Beh he will get there.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:18 am
One of my very bright kids just took a very long time to pick up colors. I wouldn't be overly concerned if that's the only issue.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:22 am
https://stanforddaily.com/2010.....used/
This worked in 2 weeks to teach my 2 year old colors. I just consciously pointed at everything and said, you see “the chair is brown”, “the ball is blue”, “the lollipop is red” etc.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:26 am
I would be a drop concerned
My now 2.5 year old knew shapes and colors by time he was a little over 2

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:31 am
My son didn't learn colors until at least 5 yrs old, I was very much concerned. He also had a hard time with word recollection.
He's in 2nd grade now. Bh on grade level but he's in a self contained class room. He had a very hard time learning how to read. Bh he eats beautifully in Hebrew and English with lots of tutoring.
He's a very smart kid.
Probably not always but a sign of some sort of learning disability in my opinion.
He's on ADD meds for attention/focusing issues(absolutely not hyper!)

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:34 am
Coming to Summer season… I found many of my kids learned colors with freeze pops! They hear older kids asking for specific colors and catch in quick!!

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:50 am
amother OP wrote:

Can he group things that are same color (similar shade)? That’s more important than knowing the names. How else is he doing in terms of expressing himself?

oneofakind

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:16 am
I wouldn't worry. My son learnt at age 5. His eye doctor, who I shared my concerns with, said it took his daughter even longer!

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:29 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
I would be a drop concerned
My now 2.5 year old knew shapes and colors by time he was a little over 2

Then your child is gifted. It's really young.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:40 am
Every child is different. I wouldn't be concerned. One of my kids didn't learn colors until he was about 4. He is actually brilliant but has adhd. Colors were not interesting for him so he didn't pay attention to them an didn't learn them. He is now 9 and knows so much but because of his adhd he can also be cluless.

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:44 am
amother OP wrote:
How would I know?

Google Ichihara test for Color blindness. You can find it online or ask an eye doctor. It's very common in boys.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:05 am
My dc3 only knows some colors consistently but not all. I figured he’s colorblind because it’s in the family. Now I’m wondering if maybe he’ll catch it on later.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:35 am
My son had this. We had a song called “Red, red the apple is red” and we sang it a lot with videos. He had some language delays but could memorize the colors! Like when I sang “Shabbos is going away, the sky’s getting dark” and pointed to the sky - after that any dark blue or navy was called “dark”. I would ask him - what color is this? And he would say “dark.”

I honestly left him back a year because of these language delays in Hebrew and English. I spent a ton of time on kriah with him making letters out of salt on a plate at the kitchen table, and a ton of time reading English books to him.

After having him repeat Pre-1-A (5 year old class) at the suggestion of the teacher, I’m happy to say that he is doing absolutely beautifully now and has more than caught up.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers