Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Is there an Eruv in Flatbush?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:34 pm
Near Coney Island to ocean parkway?

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:35 pm
That would depend who you ask. and what type you affiliate with?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:07 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
That would depend who you ask. and what type you affiliate with?

We’re Chabad

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:08 pm
It's not a widely accepted eruv. Most people I know don't hold by it.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:11 pm
Most mainstream do not hold of it.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:11 pm
I don't know how strict Chabad is on eruv.

I know of some MO people who hold of a Flatbush eruv.

The vast vast majority of people in Flatbush do not, whether Sephardic, yeshivish or chasidish.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:15 pm
So there is an Eruv? But most don’t hold it? How come?

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:19 pm
Because most rabbanim do not hold it is kosher. Or that you can have a kosher eruv in Flatbush.

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
So there is an Eruv? But most don’t hold it? How come?

If you're Chabad, you don't hold from an eriv unless it's an actual wall, pretty much. Context:My family was heavily involved in building my towns eriv and I married Chabad.

Besides, based on Rav Moshes 600,000 people psak, its a reha"r deoraisa not a reh"I

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 5:26 pm
This sucks for moms.. I really want to walk with my husband but my baby needs a stroller…

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 5:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
This sucks for moms.. I really want to walk with my husband but my baby needs a stroller…

Yup it does.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 5:47 pm
I’m Chassidish (belze from home) DH did lots of research on the eruv and trusts one of the rabbanim that signed on. But it is not widely accepted at all and you WILL get looks from people if they see you pushing a stroller on Shabbos

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 5:49 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes it is beyond awful. Shabbos in the winter is ok but in the summer it is the worst. I'm so so sad that we're changing the clock in two weeks and shabbos.will be longer.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 6:51 pm
It’s literally one of the reasons I dont live in Brooklyn. When you grow up in a city with an Eruv, it’s a very difficult switch. The people I know who grew up without ann eruv are totally fine with it and used to it.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:03 pm
If your chabad you probably didnt grow up with an eruv. Crown heights doesnt have and chabad doesnt hold of city eruvs

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:25 pm
This is so unfair for us women! It’s not even carrying- it’s pushing a stroller!
Anyway, what can I do about this? I can’t stay home every Shabbat I’ll go crazy
Should I put a string around Flatbush? This is ridiculous that no one’s doing anything about it, no wonder I’m so lonely as a mom, I’m forced to stay home

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:25 pm
Delete

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 7:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is so unfair for us women! It’s not even carrying- it’s pushing a stroller!
Should I put a string around Flatbush? This is ridiculous that no one’s doing anything about it, no wonder I’m so lonely as a mom, I’m forced to stay home

You can have an eruv on your own block (must be done under halachic supervision obviously) if that helps, so you can go visit a neighbor. Or your dh can stay with the baby while you spend time elsewhere.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:04 pm
amother OP wrote:

You can't change halacha to suit your deaires. If it's not permissible to make an eruv there, then you can't.

I'm sorry you're lonely though. I personally could not live in a city without an eruv with little kids. It must be hard. But if you're Chabad even other cities with an eriv wouldn't be so helpful. Maybe you could have another family stay over for Shabbos sometimes so you have company?

teachkids

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

There's so much more to Eruv than the string, it has to do with how public it is- basically making an eruv in a major city is impossible- but unclear what counts as a major city.
Honestly, your best bet is either hire a teen to come stay with your baby for an hour on shabbos or move to the suburbs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries