Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Help me with investments please

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:33 pm
I need to invest in something.
Just saving it and using it when I’m in a crunch gets me nowhere.

What do I do? Where do I start? What is reliable and worth investing?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:34 pm
It would probably be best to work with a recommended financial advisor. Investing is hey big deal and you really need someone who is trustworthy and knowledgeable to assist you in a way that is individualized for your personal needs.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:50 pm
Any recommendations?

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:01 pm
Maybe reach out to Kosher Money or the like for a rec.

https://www.livinglchaim.com/koshermoney

OddoneOut1

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 4:51 am
I would never give financial advice, but I am happy to quite Naftali Horowitz who has information on Kosher Money podcast and Living Smarter Jewish.

Regarding long term investments:
He always says that investing in the S and P 500 will give a return in 15 years, always has historically.
The thing about investing is that you really need to be okay not touching your money, because it WILL fluctuate. Every time there is a market crash, investments drop SIGNIFICANTLY and the key is to NOT pull out, but wait till they go back up.
That's why its not recommended for seniors to invest in a mutual fund like the S&P, becuase they might need to take it out.

He says that this happened everytime the market crash, those who pulled out lost tons, those who stayed in the market until it went back up had great returns.
You need to know what you are able to NOT touch and how you manage watching money lose value, becuase it likely will at different points.

No advice for short term investments...

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 5:01 am
When you put out a plea like this, please be careful--you can get targeted with scammers.

This is an excellent book to get started: https://www.amazon.com/One-Up-.....00403

Read fool.com and seekingalpha.

Don't take someone else's word for advice. Become educated.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:57 am
Read read and read.
Listen to podcasts and start developing an understanding.
Start with reading the intelligent investor.
https://www.amazon.com/Intelli.....55661

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:08 am
amother Banana wrote:
When you put out a plea like this, please be careful--you can get targeted with scammers.

This is an excellent book to get started: https://www.amazon.com/One-Up-.....00403

Read fool.com and seekingalpha.

Don't take someone else's word for advice. Become educated.

I think fool.com is a big money waster . Index funds are much safer option

justforfun87

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 9:09 am
Read the book simple path to wealth. How soon do you need the money? If you don't need to touch it for more than 10 years then invest in S&P. If you may need the money in 18 months put it in a high savings account through an online bank. It's like 4+% interest.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 9:17 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Read the book simple path to wealth. How soon do you need the money? If you don't need to touch it for more than 10 years then invest in S&P. If you may need the money in 18 months put it in a high savings account through an online bank. It's like 4+% interest.

Any good recommendations for a high savings account?

Was also wondering how people save their sons and daughters bar/bas mitzvah money? What would be a smart choice?

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:42 am
3under323 wrote:
I would never give financial advice, but I am happy to quite Naftali Horowitz who has information on Kosher Money podcast and Living Smarter Jewish.

Regarding long term investments:
He always says that investing in the S and P 500 will give a return in 15 years, always has historically.
The thing about investing is that you really need to be okay not touching your money, because it WILL fluctuate. Every time there is a market crash, investments drop SIGNIFICANTLY and the key is to NOT pull out, but wait till they go back up.
That's why its not recommended for seniors to invest in a mutual fund like the S&P, becuase they might need to take it out.

He says that this happened everytime the market crash, those who pulled out lost tons, those who stayed in the market until it went back up had great returns.
You need to know what you are able to NOT touch and how you manage watching money lose value, becuase it likely will at different points.

No advice for short term investments...

If you are investing long term in the stock market only check your balances when you know the markets are doing well. I have gone over half a year without checking my balance when the markets were down because I didn't want to know.
In Q1 of 2020 my portfolio went down by almost 115k but went back up by 220k over the next three quarters. Imagine had I got cold feet and sold at the bottom and missed the rebound.
If you can't withstand your portfolio dropping 20, 30 or even 40% do not invest in the stock market.
Don't try and time the market, invest consistently over the year. Sure you won't become a millionaire overnight but if you can invest steadily over many years it will add up when you are ready to retire.

OddoneOut1

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:13 am
amother Geranium wrote:
If you are investing long term in the stock market only check your balances when you know the markets are doing well. I have gone over half a year without checking my balance when the markets were down because I didn't want to know.
In Q1 of 2020 my portfolio went down by almost 115k but went back up by 220k over the next three quarters. Imagine had I got cold feet and sold at the bottom and missed the rebound.
If you can't withstand your portfolio dropping 20, 30 or even 40% do not invest in the stock market.
Don't try and time the market, invest consistently over the year. Sure you won't become a millionaire overnight but if you can invest steadily over many years it will add up when you are ready to retire.

Absolutely.
Thats what Horowitz said regarding 2008, all his people were panicking and the ones who didnt pull out rebounded, everyon else lost tons.
My portfolio is 75% the S and P and I am not looking at it for a few more years:)

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:26 am
amother Candycane wrote:
Any good recommendations for a high savings account?

Was also wondering how people save their sons and daughters bar/bas mitzvah money? What would be a smart choice?

We use Lending Club for high interest savings and Capital One for high interest CD

Bar mitzvah funds are in IBonds
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics