Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What should I make for MM?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:05 am
I like making homemade things. I could totally get away with wafers and fruit, but I'd much rather make something nice. But I'm completely uninspired. I like baking. But what? I like the muffin and J&J drink suggestions I've seen, but I'm in Israel and have no idea what J&J is. Other years I've done rolls with dips, apple crisp, muffins, cookies. All usually with some dips or something real in a bag because dh likes to give real food for the seuda. But if I really want to make something nice and presentable and not add random dips he'll go along with it. But what?? Anyone have something fairly simple but fun that I can give, preferably two things that go nicely together? I really just feel uninspired but want to make something nice.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:38 am
Okay, a spark of inspiration hit- I made bagels recently and that was a lot of fun. So I'm thinking to do that. Question is can I just give one big bagel to everyone? Big are easier than a few small. And then what should I give with it and how should I package?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:42 am
amother OP wrote:
Okay, a spark of inspiration hit- I made bagels recently and that was a lot of fun. So I'm thinking to do that. Question is can I just give one big bagel to everyone? Big are easier than a few small. And then what should I give with it and how should I package?

My parents do bagel, cream cheese and a bag of chocolate milk in a bowl with a knife and napkin added closed in a clear plastic bag tied with a ribbon.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:49 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
My parents do bagel, cream cheese and a bag of chocolate milk in a bowl with a knife and napkin added closed in a clear plastic bag tied with a ribbon.

That's really cute! Thank you! I was just thinking I could do a small container of cream cheese. But most of the people I give to are Israeli. Do they even know about bagels and cream cheese? Now I'm really in the mood for it though so I might go make it right now... The shoko in a bag idea is also a great idea, thank you! Does anything else go nicely with bagels? Besides spreads and eggs and other real perishables?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:56 am
amother OP wrote:
That's really cute! Thank you! I was just thinking I could do a small container of cream cheese. But most of the people I give to are Israeli. Do they even know about bagels and cream cheese? Now I'm really in the mood for it though so I might go make it right now... The shoko in a bag idea is also a great idea, thank you! Does anything else go nicely with bagels? Besides spreads and eggs and other real perishables?

The Israelis also love them and many anticipate the mm to eat as breakfast yearly and would be very disappointed if they switched kinds of mm.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:00 am
Also we have a bagel store plus a couple more pizza places ect. that also sell bagels in our city so it's a known thing here.
They did start before those shops started with the bagels and needed to go in to jlem to buy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:08 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
Also we have a bagel store plus a couple more pizza places ect. that also sell bagels in our city so it's a known thing here.
They did start before those shops started with the bagels and needed to go in to jlem to buy.

Hmm maybe I'll give it a go. Thanks again! If anyone has any other suggestions, would be great to hear more options.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:12 am
Caramel popcorn and a small alcoholic beverage or soda.

Honestly I like the bagel and cream cheese idea the best. I think it’s the most useful.

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:19 am
Soup, either with the bagel or with croutons/breadsticks

The bagel sounds like a great idea though

#Happymom

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:19 am
Can you share your bagel recipe?

Would love to make them Very Happy

Thank you

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:26 am
#Happymom wrote:
Can you share your bagel recipe?

Would love to make them Very Happy

Thank you

Sure! Here's the recipe I used. I didn't let it rise as long as she says though and might have made some other tweaks I can't remember. I think she says to put cold water and let it rise overnight. I used warm water and let it rise an hour or so. I'm sure hers is much more authentic...
https://www.browneyedbaker.com.....gels/

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:17 am
Biscotti

Chocolate barks

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:23 am
Bagel and cream cheese is nice.
I've done soup and roll or croutons
Rolls and dips
Kugel and grape juice
Smoothie and granola
Looking for easy ideas for this year. Iyh I'll be right post baby.

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:25 am
You can put in a small jam into mm

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:26 am
Do they sell undiv serving butters? If u don't want to do cc

fmt4

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:37 am
amother OP wrote:

lol everyone in Israel knows about bagels and cream cheese.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:37 am
Oof! Dh doesn't want to give chalavi since we usually give later in the day and they are probably fleishig from the seuda. What now? Sad He said we can give any kind of salad with bagels. But that's no fun!! Although I guess Israeli salad might be somewhat fun for me. Should I bother with the bagels then or totally not worth the work if I can't give it with something fun specifically for bagels?

Someone said chocolate bark. What is it? I saw a shop here selling 3-part containers and was thinking of maybe doing chocolate covered pretzels. Maybe chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate bark (what is it??) and something else (what?) That seems pleasantly simple and even possible to prepare in advance. Then do I have to also wrap the container in plastic and tie with a ribbon? Or can I just give a closed container with maybe a sticker on top?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:39 am
fmt4 wrote:
lol everyone in Israel knows about bagels and cream cheese.

Haha yeah? I can't imagine where my sfardi Israeli neighbors would have come across bagels and cream cheese. Even my kids didn't know why I wanted to put cream cheese on the bagel I made! But maybe they're more worldly than I'm giving them credit for.

amf

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:49 am
Chocolate bark is easy to make and looks very pretty
https://cookieandkate.com/easy.....cipe/

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:54 am
Chocolate barks, melt chocolate flat on a cookie sheet and add in any topping, marshmallows, sprinkles, chocolate chip, nuts, craisins, mini pretzels, peppermint red and white candy crushed, whatever you want. Then break into pieces. Doesn't need to be even.

It's a shtick here.

I want to do 3 section box, one chocolate barks, one covered pretzels, and one foil wrapped taffees/candies in same coloring. Maybe wrap a ribbon around box.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics