Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Have you or would you ever...
1  2  3  4  Next

Have you or would you take your infant/toddler out of their carseat in a moving vehicle?
Absolutely not!!??! I care about my child's safety!  
 37%  [ 77 ]
Never have, but maybe under extreme circumstances  
 27%  [ 57 ]
I've done it, but it was a one-time thing  
 24%  [ 50 ]
Of course! Laws are guidelines - my baby's comfort and happiness are more important  
 11%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 207

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:24 pm
...take your infant/toddler out of the carseat on a long ride?

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:33 pm
No.

Instead, I'd break up the ride into shorter segments and let my child run around and get some exercise so the ride isn't a long uninterrupted time in the carseat.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
No.

Instead, I'd break up the ride into shorter segments and let my child run around and get some exercise so the ride isn't a long uninterrupted time in the carseat.

Thats good spice for older children who don't need a carseat, as well.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:07 am
No. Maybe if I noticed the buckle was twisted I'd unbuckle a second and re-buckle, though. Assuming that the road conditions were clear, the road ahead was straight, and there were no cars nearby.

I have forgotten to buckle a kid (scary!) and only noticed later.

I can and have nursed a baby while they are buckled into the carseat. Uncomfortable but doable.

But heard too many very sad stories to feel comfortable deliberately taking a baby out of a carseat in a moving vehicle.

essie14

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:45 am
Absolutely not. I stop the car and take the child out.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:46 am
I chose the last option, although I don't do it because "Laws are guidelines - my baby's comfort and happiness are more important"
I take my baby out to feed him. I take him out when he needs to be taken out.
Not saying it should be done. I should probably pull over and take him out once we've parked. But I'm just pointing out that the wording makes it seem like we're totally disregarding laws and safety for comfort. It's not like that.
I'm actually impressed and inspired seeing the results!

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:50 am
I'm wondering if those who would not take a child out of a car seat while the car is in motion grew up with a car?
Because I did not grow up with a car. And we didn't even own a car seat to take along when we were in a car occasionally.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:53 am
Absolutely not. I’d pull over. And I have hundreds of times. I pulled over to change diapers, nurse, give bottles, let them move around, readjust things etc.. never ever unbuckle anyone in a moving vehicle.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:53 am
amother Gold wrote:
I chose the last option, although I don't do it because "Laws are guidelines - my baby's comfort and happiness are more important"
Not saying it should be done. I should probably pull over and take him out once we've parked. But I'm just pointing out that the wording makes it seem like we're totally disregarding laws and safety for comfort. It's not like that.

Why not pull over? Why do you risk their life?

michimochi

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:53 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:

I can and have nursed a baby while they are buckled into the carseat. Uncomfortable but doable.

Impressive! How?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:55 am
amother Gold wrote:

How would you word the option instead?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:56 am
michimochi wrote:
Impressive! How?

I guess I'm pretty stretchy lol. I just push my baby's face to the side of the carseat, lean over, and guide my breast into his/her mouth. It's not terribly comfortable but it works, and it's much better than stopping (not always is there a safe place to stop either) and making the trip 20 minutes longer, or having a hungry baby scream.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:58 am
Does this mean toddler and older just having free reign in the backseats while parent is driving?

That's insane.

Only thing I can imagine in an extreme circumstance is nursing a baby in the backseat when going to the airport. I'm not condoning it. I've never done it. But I can imagine this scenario.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:59 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
I guess I'm pretty stretchy lol. I just push my baby's face to the side of the carseat, lean over, and guide my breast into his/her mouth. It's not terribly comfortable but it works, and it's much better than stopping (not always is there a safe place to stop either) and making the trip 20 minutes longer, or having a hungry baby scream.

Whatttt?

Isn't your breast totally exposed???

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:02 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
Whatttt?

Isn't your breast totally exposed???

That's what blankets are for!

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:04 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
That's what blankets are for!

But how do you situate the blanket while you are leaning on top and over the car seat?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:06 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
But how do you situate the blanket while you are leaning on top and over the car seat?

Over my front and covering the car seat.

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 2:15 am
I chose the last, but really there should be an option between the two last ones.

"A few times times due to pressing circumstances, but under normal circumstances, no."

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 7:25 am
amother Gold wrote:
I'm wondering if those who would not take a child out of a car seat while the car is in motion grew up with a car?
Because I did not grow up with a car. And we didn't even own a car seat to take along when we were in a car occasionally.

Not owning a car is not an excuse for not using car seats. We do not own a car, and yet I have car seats for all my children who are small enough to need one, even if it only gets used once a year. Once a year, is one too many times to risk their life.

readreread

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 9:19 am
I chose 2, and only because I'm imagining some extreme circumstance like baby starts choking, I'm already in the backseat, and I reflexively get them out to start thumping on their back while the driver is pulling over. But that would be for like 2 seconds of out-of-carseat moving time, and is literally life or death.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics