Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Have you or would you ever...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Have you or would you take your infant/toddler out of their carseat in a moving vehicle?
Absolutely not!!??! I care about my child's safety!  
 37%  [ 77 ]
Never have, but maybe under extreme circumstances  
 27%  [ 57 ]
I've done it, but it was a one-time thing  
 24%  [ 50 ]
Of course! Laws are guidelines - my baby's comfort and happiness are more important  
 11%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 207

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 9:48 am
No no absolutely not!! I know personally a sweet innocent child who is paralyzed for life because the mother took them out of the car seat because baby was screaming and someone crashed into them. The parents were fine, the child will never walk b'teva. You cannot imagine the mother's guilt.

Never ever ever!!!!!!!!!!!

It is JUST NOT WORTH THE RISK!!!!!!

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:04 am
Never ever take a kid out of a car seat in a moving vehicle!!!
I have pulled over for countless false alarms or to nurse etc.

I saw a kid in carpool line WALKING in a car (through the window I saw) . It wasn't a dedicated carpool line- just the road leading to the school, there still are intersections... I wasn't even sending to that school and was driving and saw it.
What in heavens name...

JalapeƱo

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:10 am
readreread wrote:
I chose 2, and only because I'm imagining some extreme circumstance like baby starts choking, I'm already in the backseat, and I reflexively get them out to start thumping on their back while the driver is pulling over. But that would be for like 2 seconds of out-of-carseat moving time, and is literally life or death.

this is something like what I imagined for extreme circumstances too. like there's a fire in the car or my baby is choking on their vomit or something equally life threatening, that for some reason they need to be out of their seat.
if they're really upset and crying I pull over, and if I can't I try my best to calm them. if I need to get somewhere and/or can't stop and they won't be comforted, then they cry.

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:18 am
amother Gold wrote:
I chose the last option, although I don't do it because "Laws are guidelines - my baby's comfort and happiness are more important"
I take my baby out to feed him. I take him out when he needs to be taken out.
Not saying it should be done. I should probably pull over and take him out once we've parked. But I'm just pointing out that the wording makes it seem like we're totally disregarding laws and safety for comfort. It's not like that.
I'm actually impressed and inspired seeing the results!

Well.. you are. You dont need to take a baby out to feed, you can nurse while theyre in the carseat (I do), prep bottles/pump, or pull over. Except in an extreme life or death situation, where the baby is SAFER out of the carseat, it is completely irresponsible and yes you are disregarding their safety- maybe for their comfort or maybe for yours

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:23 am
I once took my baby out to change his diaper when we were im bumper to bumper traffic and no where to pull over. we werent essentially moving

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:25 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Never ever take a kid out of a car seat in a moving vehicle!!!
I have pulled over for countless false alarms or to nurse etc.

I saw a kid in carpool line WALKING in a car (through the window I saw) . It wasn't a dedicated carpool line- just the road leading to the school, there still are intersections... I wasn't even sending to that school and was driving and saw it.
What in heavens name...

it bothers me my kids carpool doesnt buckle the kids in and the kids are jumping around the car. WWYD?

kiwi strawberry

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:29 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
it bothers me my kids carpool doesnt buckle the kids in and the kids are jumping around the car. WWYD?

I would tell that mother she needs to make sure everyone is sitting and buckled properly before she starts driving as it's sakanas nefashos and absolutely uncompromisable. If she doesn't listen pull child out of carpool.

kiwi strawberry

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:29 am
And illegal

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:31 am
kiwi strawberry wrote:
I would tell that mother she needs to make sure everyone is sitting and buckled properly before she starts driving as it's sakanas nefashos and absolutely uncompromisable. If she doesn't listen pull child out of carpool.

every day of the week is another mother and they all do the same

Also in the morning they drop off the kids before drop off and drive away so the kids are left outside alone

kiwi strawberry

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:33 am
Is this normal where you live to not buckle kids? Where do you live?

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:38 am
kiwi strawberry wrote:
Is this normal where you live to not buckle kids? Where do you live?

Im not sure lol. I always buckle my kids

I live in Lakewood area

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:38 am
I was once stranded on Friday without a car seat. Public transportation would have taken too long 3 hours minimum to get home. I took a taxi home with my baby in the carrier, said tehillim the whole distressing ride. It's legal to take babies in taxis without car seats in NY, but that didn't make me feel any better.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:40 am
I've done it when we sat in barely moving traffic & baby wouldn't calm down.

amother
Quince

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 10:51 am
It's dangerous to nurse a baby in the carseat too. In an accident the breast will suffocate him
True story.

I pump in the front seat and make a bottle. I'll pu over or drive with a screaming baby. Risk is not worth it.

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 11:01 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
I once took my baby out to change his diaper when we were im bumper to bumper traffic and no where to pull over. we werent essentially moving

A friend of mine once almost took her screaming baby out of the car seat because they were sitting in bumper to bumper traffic barely moving and couldn't pull over. She decided not to risk it. A minute later they were hit from behind and their car was totaled.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 11:08 am
amother Gold wrote:
I chose the last option, although I don't do it because "Laws are guidelines - my baby's comfort and happiness are more important"
I take my baby out to feed him. I take him out when he needs to be taken out.
Not saying it should be done. I should probably pull over and take him out once we've parked. But I'm just pointing out that the wording makes it seem like we're totally disregarding laws and safety for comfort. It's not like that.
I'm actually impressed and inspired seeing the results!

I am curious to understand the opposite mindset. When you do this, do you not feel you are totally disregarding laws and safety?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 11:08 am
Never.

Just never.

I know someone who was in a car accident while nursing her baby. Her child is no longer with us. She was niftar young due to complications from her injuries.l, after years of suffering.

I was in a car accident that I did not see coming. A car ran a red light going 40+ mph and rammed right in to the side of my car.

You never know when something like this can happen.

Please keep your kids seatbelted at all times. Even on short local trips.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 11:14 am
I really didn't want to do it but my baby was crying and needed to eat and there were no signs indicating a rest area soon.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 11:20 am
amother Zinnia wrote:

OMG that's insane! I would not carpool with these people. and if everyone did this where I lived I wouldn't want to live there.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 11:21 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
Im not sure lol. I always buckle my kids

I live in Lakewood area

Get a new carpool. Your kid's safety is more important than any convenience. I insist that everyone in my carpool buckles. I even force boosters if they are too small to go without. (Some people take their kids out way way too early. Very dangerous). In My car- you follow the law.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics