Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
General info and cost - stairlift rental

Goldie613

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 7:02 am
Has anyone ever rented a stair lift (one of those things that let people be "carried" up the stairs by a chair)? If so, how much do they generally cost (straight flight of stairs, about a dozen of them)? Is there a company you recommend?

Not looking to purchase - this is for someone I know who is recovering from a medical situation and will probably need it for about a month.

(This is in New York City if that affects your answer)

For those of you who had them, what can you tell me about how they work, are they comfortable/safe, if others can still get up and down the stairs with the chair installed, etc? Basically, looking for whatever info you can provide.

And yes, if the family is going to spend money for this, they'd rather get one they can use on Shabbos

***Edited to add - any general info/company recommendations/etc appreciated as well. Thank you!

Last edited by Goldie613 on Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ima03

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 11:05 am
My husband's aunt put one in for his grandmother. I think it has to be attached to the wall and floor, so it's not something you put in for a month or 2.

It was basically a track on the side of the stairs with a chair that flipped up when at the top or bottom of the stairs. The chair had a buckle. I never saw it in use, but saw it on the wall.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:18 pm
There are companies that rent them but whether that makes sense would depend since there would be relatively high expenses to install.

Since they operate on electricity as they have a motor, I don’t see how they could be used on Shabbos or other equivalent day.

They are safe as they have a strap but I assume they are used by people who have cognitive ability but can’t climb stairs because of severe mobility issues.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
There are companies that rent them but whether that makes sense would depend since there would be relatively high expenses to install.

Since they operate on electricity as they have a motor, I don’t see how they could be used on Shabbos or other equivalent day.

They are safe as they have a strap but I assume they are used by people who have cognitive ability but can’t climb stairs because of severe mobility issues.

There is a Shabbos mode that has halachic approval although of course everyone would need to ask their own shaila.
https://www.gramachip.com/home.....stems

Goldie613

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 10:44 pm
Thank you to those who have answered so far. Anyone have any other information?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics