Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
PSA: Toeing the line

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:54 pm
I didn't want to derail the other thread (about the latest Double Take in Mishpacha) but this just bugged me. For the benefit of Mishpacha editors and anyone else, to "toe the line" means to follow rules and standards, not to flout them (or come close to flouting them). I have never before seen the expression "toed with the line" as used in the article, which seems to be trying to say that the girl was pushing boundaries (and Google doesn't seem to recognize it either).

Thank you for reading ... I just had to get that off my chest! 🙃😆 (I know...may this be the worst of my problems. Amen for all of us!)

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:12 pm
Interesting. I always learned that toe the line means to go right up against the boundary without actually crossing it. In other words, pushing boundaries.

Google shows that you are correct.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 4:28 pm
There’s a similar expression in Hebrew that loosely translates into “walks in the furrow”. It seems to make a lot more sense than “toes the line”.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 5:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
to "toe the line" means to follow rules and standards, not to flout them (or come close to flouting them).

Thank you for correctly using the word "flout." So annoying when people say they "flaunt" the rules.

Wolfsbane

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:08 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Thank you for correctly using the word "flout." So annoying when people say they "flaunt" the rules.

Maybe their rules are particularly expensive or exclusive, so they want to flaunt them.

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:13 pm
Wolfsbane wrote:
Maybe their rules are particularly expensive or exclusive, so they want to flaunt them.

Well in MY town it's the rule that you can't wear anything above Moncler. I flout that rule by flaunting my custom Louis Vuitton.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:25 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
Well in MY town it's the rule that you can't wear anything above Moncler. I flout that rule by flaunting my custom Louis Vuitton.

As long as you do so discreetly, not discretely, you have my vote.

sushilover

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:34 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:

I don't think that would phase me. (My pet peeve)

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:38 pm
zaq wrote:
As long as you do so discreetly, not discretely, you have my vote.

Doing so is counterintuitive to your message. (You can't flaunt something discreetly, but you can flaunt things discretely.)

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:39 pm
Ouch, I feel like I just bit aluminum foil.

Wolfsbane

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:42 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Doing so is counterintuitive to your message. (You can't flaunt something discreetly, but you can flaunt things discretely.)

Say, at discrete intervals, such as at precisely 7:30 and 7:50 PM, but not in between.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room