Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Your take about seminary asking that we be paid up by June!
1  2  3  4  Next

funkygirl

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:57 pm
I heard about it but refused to believe that this could be true. At first, they ask for a $5,000 deposit and then head checks or credit card to be paid up by JUNE 2024!!!! What are they thinking or not thinking, most of us have other bills to pay and with inflation when prices are doubling every month, with other tuitions to pay! I'm beside myself, unless money isn't an issue, or you have a rich uncle or you plan on robbing a bank, how in the world are coming up with this money till JUNE???????? Any answers? As it is had a hard time coming up with the payment of the deposit. The rest of the payments I thought I had till JUNE 2025, but there is no rachmanes even from the cheaper seminaries, if they want it all paid pretty much up front, how is that cheap? with literally chocking us????

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:59 pm
Suppose you unilaterally set up your own payment plan
Do you think they will actually revoke your daughter's acceptance?

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:02 pm
If you give head checks, you don't have to pay it all in June.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:23 pm
Just like everything else, they are a business and can do whatever they want!! Seminary in essence is for the wealthy, but unfortunately in recent years has become a must for everyone, whether they can afford it or not. That's the honest truth...
Hoping things change and by the time my girls are seminary age there will be a different system!!

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:27 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Just like everything else, they are a business and can do whatever they want!! Seminary in essence is for the wealthy, but unfortunately in recent years has become a must for everyone, whether they can afford it or not. That's the honest truth...
Hoping things change and by the time my girls are seminary age there will be a different system!!

Change is already in the air.
I hear more and more girls, regular in town BY type, not going to seminary.
Seriously considering not sending my own daughter.
What a bunch of unnecessary stress.

funkygirl

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:35 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
If you give head checks, you don't have to pay it all in June.

I know for a fact that's what they are asking for. my daughter got accepted and they want the full payment in June!

Traveller247

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:38 pm
It sounds awful to me.
I wouldn't send

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:38 pm
Mine wants head checks dated from may through Sept. Only a couple months later but a very expensive season!

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:46 pm
funkygirl wrote:
I know for a fact that's what they are asking for. my daughter got accepted and they want the full payment in June!

Sorry, I misunderstood what you wrote.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 4:25 pm
I guess I should be grateful. We have to give checks soon but the last one can be post dated for January 2025.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 4:56 pm
OP call the seminary's financial office they will usually work with you and you can ask them what they expect and when. I went through this twice already and both times the seminaries were understanding and helpful.

Also, just an idea for parents for next year when you apply to seminary look for one that will work with you financially if that's what you need. Some do some don't that was one of our factors when we applied otherwise I wouldn't have sent my dd's.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 5:37 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
Change is already in the air.
I hear more and more girls, regular in town BY type, not going to seminary.
Seriously considering not sending my own daughter.
What a bunch of unnecessary stress.

My DDs did not go to sem. They are bh married, have degrees, good jobs, kids and full lives. Sem is overrated.
The reason sems are asking for upfront payment is most like because they are afraid ppl will back out.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 5:40 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
My DDs did not go to sem. They are bh married, have degrees, good jobs, kids and full lives. Sem is overrated.
The reason sems are asking for upfront payment is most like because they are afraid ppl will back out.

Or get engaged before they're all paid up...

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 5:49 pm
As a chassidish mom I will never understand the seminary phenomenon.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:01 pm
Wishing you Hatzlocha OP. Is this a new decision on the part of the Schools? Never heard of it before.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:01 pm
Wow, this is new.
Might be because this year some girls left because of the war and then didn't come back and because some girls left some seminaries for other reasons.

funkygirl

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:30 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
Wow, this is new.
Might be because this year some girls left because of the war and then didn't come back and because some girls left some seminaries for other reasons.

That's true! But this doesn't mean they could choke us financially! Most people are suffering financially because of the inflation. I understand if they ask for headchecks throughout the year, but to make us be paid up by June 2024 before they are in seminary is beyond!

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:37 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:

Agree. It's a luxury converted into a necessity by peer pressure and the school system. The girls do just as well without it. They aren't better mother and wives for it.

If we stop playing their game, then this unnecessary stress and financial headaches disappear.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:41 pm
funkygirl wrote:
That's true! But this doesn't mean they could choke us financially! Most people are suffering financially because of the inflation. I understand if they ask for headchecks throughout the year, but to make us be paid up by June 2024 before they are in seminary is beyond!

It's definitely crazy, but they're only looking out for themselves. Not exactly concerned with how parents will pay it.
Maybe do try calling them to discuss it to see if you can get a longer time period to pay it off.

Maryann

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:31 pm
I feel bad it's so much and it's crazy
I really hope the culture changes soon and fast
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info