Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Seminary solutions?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:13 pm
Let's brainstorm to help solve this seminary issue, where it became a given that everyone goes, no matter their ability to afford it..

amother
Blush

Why?

amother
Maple

Or make it a given that nobody goes, so nobody needs to afford it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:14 pm
Ok hereis my first idea- I think all seminaries should be 3-5 months long... Boom, half the length= half the price!!

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:33 pm
Real solutions
1) have the option of not going mentioned more often. Agudah convention, Torah Umesorah convention, etc. Have Rabbanim mention it more in their shiurim. Have the people on top let everyone else know how ok it is not to go. Which leads me to...

2) the highschool principals and mechanchos. Someone neeeds to tell them all to project security and calm around the idea of not going. When I was in 12th grade and I mentioned I didnt plan to go to EY for sem they all FLIPPED OUT. non stop pressure and meetings the entire year to pressure me into changing my mind. Nothing will change if this doesnt.

3) more options. More local seminaries, AND more night seminaries, night shiurim etc.

4) more Israel programs for girls who arent going to sem. Think Summer programs, such as a 6 week program led by inspiring tour guides and mechanchim/mechanchos.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok hereis my first idea- I think all seminaries should be 3-5 months long... Boom, half the length= half the price!!

I've been saying that instead of seminaries there should be a 2 months summer program in Israel after 12th grade. Touring, classes, shabbatons - go all out, for a fraction of price. And then come back before September and continue living your life.
But such programs won't become popular because that would mean the end of this massive seminary business. Although Havineini is actually doing a summer program this coming summer, for the first time.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:41 pm
amother OP wrote:

Oh, and Lahav, half a year seminary, isn't half price. And they have an extension until pesach

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:55 pm
Doesn’t bais medrash cost about the same? And in Israel you have to pay for dirah and trips and food (sometimes). Plus plane tickets. So why are we saying girls shouldn’t go? It’s expensive all around.
To combine a lot of topics-I hear that support for after married should be whatever you’re paying for tuition. And yes seminary is more expensive than high school but it’s for one year. Every family does it differently. I’m from out of town and not every girl goes to EY. It’s a small minority but there are so many reasons. Some girls get engaged. Some girls stay in USA. Some go to Europe. Some skip 12th grade and go to Manchester or Gateshead. Every family has to do what’s best for them.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:29 am
Quote:
Doesn’t bais medrash cost about the same? And in Israel you have to pay for dirah and trips and food (sometimes). Plus plane tickets. So why are we saying girls shouldn’t go? It’s expensive all around.
To combine a lot of topics-I hear that support for after married should be whatever you’re paying for tuition. And yes seminary is more expensive than high school but it’s for one year. Every family does it differently. I’m from out of town and not every girl goes to EY. It’s a small minority but there are so many reasons. Some girls get engaged. Some girls stay in USA. Some go to Europe. Some skip 12th grade and go to Manchester or Gateshead. Every family has to do what’s best for them.

Beis medresh is actually cheaper. You don't have a bunch of teachers, madrichas or trips. My son is in yeshiva in Israel and there is a Rosh Yeshiva and maybe a couple more people on payroll. No trips. That's it. The cost is way lower, even with paying for a dira, utilities, etc.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:45 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Quote:

Beis medresh is actually cheaper. You don't have a bunch of teachers, madrichas or trips. My son is in yeshiva in Israel and there is a Rosh Yeshiva and maybe a couple more people on payroll. No trips. That's it. The cost is way lower, even with paying for a dira, utilities, etc.

Not what I hear. (Not up to this stage yet.) I hear neighbors talk, I’m pretty sure I heard BMG is $$$$$$, boys tuition is way way more than girls…do the bigger yeshivas charge more? And when boys go on trips it’s $$$ cuz they have to do everything and Oy for everything.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 9:48 pm
Make more local options.

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:55 pm
Make programs in Miami and Phoenix. Between the Yomim Noriam and Pesach.

I also second the summer program idea in Israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children