Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Makeup lessons
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:41 pm
I've never learned how to apply makeup properly
I'm in my thirties and would really love to learn how....I would need to start at the real basics. Is there anyone who gives these sort of lessons?
Brooklyn location

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:43 pm
The department store ladies will do some of that, as they show you how to use their products. You might try the Clinique lady, and not at a busy time, say mid-morning.

Tell her what look, what impression you want to give people.

She will want to know if you want to look fabulous as for a party, or natural but nicer for daytime, if you want a few simple things that don't take a lot of work, or if you are willing to spend a long time and get very perfect. She will want to know if you want to look healthy, natural, and unaffected, or sophisticated and alluring.

She will want to know if there is anything about you that you want to correct.

Or emphasize.

As you see there is no one 'right way.' It's about what are we working with and what are we trying for, and how do you want to integrate this into your life.

You don't necessarily need a lot of products. Clinique is a good brand. So is Lancome. There are others too, all good.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:48 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
The department store ladies will do some of that, as they show you how to use their products. You might try the Clinique lady, and not at a busy time, say mid-morning.

Thanks. Honestly I'd feel silly with some of my questions at my age - some of really beginner ones embarrassed I want to know that the person is nice/non judgemental. Also I'd feel pressured to buy their products after.... I would want someone to go through what I have already, tell me what's good and how to apply (and what order...) and suggest what else I should get (I dont mind buying from them as well, as long as its not expected since im paying for the lesson)

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:54 pm
I see make up artists advertising either group or one on one workshops all the time. Maybe reach out to one in you area and ask. If you are really self conscious, there are tons of tutorials on you tube using specific products and are geared towards women of different ages, colouring and bone structure. Do a search and see if you can find something suitable.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:01 am
The Clinique ladies are very nice.

If you want to do some preparatory work for free, look at YouTube videos "apply makeup" and look at a LOT of them. You will see that this can go all over the place, become a high art form, and be a big deal. But if you want to just have a simple routine, go to Clinique.

This is a long study. You will be learning and learning and learning over time. Be patient with yourself.

Look at your face in strong white neutral light, outdoors.

The people on the street and in your life will react immediately. People's unconscious non-verbal reactions, including complete strangers, will tell you right away how you are doing.

Get a hand mirror so you can see yourself from the side.

If there are ladies in your life you wish you looked like, ask them to show you how they do it.

Makeup is a luxury and should be enjoyed as one.

Your present makeup may be old. Makeup dries out in time and needs to be replaced. And your face changes. You may need new makeup.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:03 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:01 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
I see make up artists advertising either group or one on one workshops all the time. Maybe reach out to one in you area and ask. If you are really self conscious, there are tons of tutorials on you tube using specific products and are geared towards women of different ages, colouring and bone structure. Do a search and see if you can find something suitable.

Thanks. YouTube won't work for me as I'm clueless with the type of stuff - no idea what my bone structure would be, or how to tell if my coloring matching whats shown online and etc (I promise in real life im not so clueless.... Just in the area of makeups and clothing....) I really need someone to physically show/teach me. Good idea to look in the local paper though, I'll check if anyone advertise there.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:42 am
Makeup by batya offers personal lessons
Other makeup artists also do one on one lessons meant to teach regular people and not make up artists

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:47 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Makeup by batya offers personal lessons
Other makeup artists also do one on one lessons meant to teach regular people and not make up artists

Do you know how much such sessions are?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. YouTube won't work for me as I'm clueless with the type of stuff - no idea what my bone structure would be, or how to tell if my coloring matching whats shown online and etc (I promise in real life im not so clueless.... Just in the area of makeups and clothing....) I really need someone to physically show/teach me. Good idea to look in the local paper though, I'll check if anyone advertise there.

There are videos that tell you how to identify your face shape or color season.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:02 am
amother Coral wrote:
Do you know how much such sessions are?

I assume a lot.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:08 am
OP I second the idea of going to a makeup counter in a department store. thats personally how I learned to do makeup

I went to the counter, told her I have no clue what I’m doing and if she could show me a how to with steps for a natural looking every day routine. She was so sweet and did a great job. I didn’t feel any pressure to buy, but ended up getting a couple things she recommended. She wrote down all the products I used and what steps I should do so I could take it home, and I took a picture of my finished face for reference

Some brands in some stores have different policies, I know in Nordstrom the Max counter will do a full face of makeup but only if you make a purchase (but can literally be a $20 lipstick which is A LOT cheaper than paying for lessons, plus you get a lipstick)

I wouldn’t recommend sticking with the products you have. You can tell them what you have and see if they think any of it is useful for you, but chances are you likely have all the wrong products and colors, if you didn’t know what you were doing when you bought them

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:19 am
I’m in Israel but I bought about $200 at Kiko and she sat there for over an hour helping me put everything on. I only paid after I did the lesson. She was very nice and very helpful and I’m really happy with him I make up is looking. I also do not know what I was doing but I miss I am freaking out a little bit, so I’m not sure if it’s because of the brand or just my skin is not used to make up.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:49 am
I second makeup by batya. She charges $250 for such a session. She is so nice and patient and makes you feel really comfortable. She also sells great makeup if you need to upgrade your makeup bag but does not make you feel obligated to buy from her at all.
also if you have access to Instagram I suggest you follow some makeup artist and they have some great short videos how to apply makeup I learned so much from watching all those little videos.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:46 am
I find that MAC makeup counter ladies are better trained as makeup artists and less pushy about selling products than the Clinique ladies, who are basically salespersons in lab coats.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:02 am
Try Esther Levy in kensington. She is really nice and not pushy at all.

marvinkay

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 9:35 am
Anyone in Lakewood?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:26 pm
Anyone have the number for Ester Levy or Batya?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:55 pm
Esther Levy 7188716423

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:52 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
Esther Levy 7188716423

Thanks!

Lake

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 9:47 pm