Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Your best crunchy crust challah

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:41 pm
Looking to make a yummy rustic looking round loaf of challah for m”m. The crust should be nice and crunchy so it looks pretty almost like a sourdough. I’m thinking maybe a water challah recipe would be best for this?
Any imas have a tried and true method/ recipe? Thanks in advance!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 11:49 pm
My water challah develops a lovely, crispy crust but it does not look like a sourdough.
I place it on the platta before Shabbat and crisps up even more, especially on the bottom.

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:13 am
Raizy fried on Instagram had a very crusty pretty challah recipe. (I write had because I used to use it many years ago, I don't know if it's still up or if she took things down when she published her cookbook)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:53 am
Anyone have the raizy fried recipe? Or a great water challah one?

corolla

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:30 am
Are you looking specifically for a challah recipe or a round sourdough-like bread? There are plenty of no knead rustic bread recipes online but you need to bake it in a Dutch oven.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:15 am
corolla wrote:
Are you looking specifically for a challah recipe or a round sourdough-like bread? There are plenty of no knead rustic bread recipes online but you need to bake it in a Dutch oven.

I tried making a bread recipe I found online but it was cumbersome and not practical enough to make in bulk. I need about 40. I think a big batch of challah dough will be easier to put up and get more loaves per batch.
Hence, looking for a recipe Smile
My challah is sweet light and fluffy. That’s not the look I want.

sunshine23

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:18 am
U need to use a Dutch oven. That's how sourdough gets it's crusty outside and light inside

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:29 am
You can use instant yeast with a sourdough like recipe (water flour salt) same yummy taste but not 2days of work. Yes you can make a full batch like challa. A Dutch oven is not a must for sourdough/rustic crusty bread. It's only one way. Place water in pan at bottom of oven (like with overnight kugel). Place breads either open on a cookie sheet. Or you can use deep round pans , disposable fine) and cover with aluminum foil. Bake 20 min on high temp 450. Remove water . If covered loaves uncover. Bake another 20 minutes until crust reaches desired darkness

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:38 am
amother Papaya wrote:
You can use instant yeast with a sourdough like recipe (water flour salt) same yummy taste but not 2days of work. Yes you can make a full batch like challa. A Dutch oven is not a must for sourdough/rustic crusty bread. It's only one way. Place water in pan at bottom of oven (like with overnight kugel). Place breads either open on a cookie sheet. Or you can use deep round pans , disposable fine) and cover with aluminum foil. Bake 20 min on high temp 450. Remove water . If covered loaves uncover. Bake another 20 minutes until crust reaches desired darkness

Do you have a recipe with instructions I can try?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:56 am
amother OP wrote:

Here's one I found online. Looks pretty hands-off:

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/.....71740

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 11:06 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Here's one I found online. Looks pretty hands-off:

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/.....71740

Thank you, but this is also a one loaf recipe. I’m looking for a large batch quick turnaround kind.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 11:17 am
You can just make water challah in round pans, bake on a higher temperature, don't egg it, and throw ice cubes in the bottom of the oven while it's baking (or use a water bath).
You'll have to experiment a bit.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

No sorry I don't have a recipe . But there is an exact mathematic equation (says my sourdough expert)to convert levin to yeast measurements. Google. Any recipe can be multiplied. So you can make larger patches
I do use method mentioned not Dutch oven and nobody is the wiser

steak4me

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:31 pm
I can’t believe I’m the first to say this.
I just use a regular recipe
Forget to shut the oven off when it rings
Boom you got crunchy crust challa

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you, but this is also a one loaf recipe. I’m looking for a large batch quick turnaround kind.

Just multiply the recipe.

19.5 cups flour
4 tbsp salt
1 tbsp yeast
9 cups warm water

= 6 large loaves (or 12 smaller ones)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics