Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What’s the typical amount to tip elementary rebbi on Purim?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 2:50 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Do you think thats typical?

Anyone else want to weigh in on their school type
I send to Ohr Hatorah/Toras Menachem type. I give between $36-$72 per Rebbi depending on my finances. I thought that was lowish typical.
Am I deluding myself?

While we are being honest 😂
I thought the lowest would be $72.
ALTHOUGH!!!! If you can’t afford it then I would never say anyone should give more then they can.
As a former teacher- I always appreciated everything. Even (especially!) the cards that came with no money.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:06 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
While we are being honest 😂
I thought the lowest would be $72.
ALTHOUGH!!!! If you can’t afford it then I would never say anyone should give more then they can.
As a former teacher- I always appreciated everything. Even (especially!) the cards that came with no money.

The sexism is so upsetting to me.

I've been a playgroup Morah and I've done babysitting for many years. 9:15-3:15 so working close to as many hours as a Rebbi.
MM ran the gamut from the regular MM with a note to MM with $25/36 check.
I don't think I ever got more than that.

So I kind of used that standard. Rebbi getting a bit more so $72.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:12 pm
I try to give $50 to rebbeim.(I only have 2 this year!)
Teachers usually $20 there are more of them!

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:12 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
The sexism is so upsetting to me.

I've been a playgroup Morah and I've done babysitting for many years. 9:15-3:15 so working close to as many hours as a Rebbi.
MM ran the gamut from the regular MM with a note to MM with $25/36 check.
I don't think I ever got more than that.

So I kind of used that standard. Rebbi getting a bit more so $72.

But playgroup teachers are getting paid directly from the parents….its different than rebbi who is on a school salary

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:20 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
But playgroup teachers are getting paid directly from the parents….its different than rebbi who is on a school salary

That's my cheshbon too.
Morah gets 550 straight to her monthly by 20+ parents.
She is making a lot more than the typical rebbe & works less.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:24 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Do you think thats typical?

Anyone else want to weigh in on their school type
I send to Ohr Hatorah/Toras Menachem type. I give between $36-$72 per Rebbi depending on my finances. I thought that was lowish typical.
Am I deluding myself?

If you drive new or fancy cars and you wear a $3-4000 wig and designer purse and nice diamonds, yes you should give $250-500
If you drive a regular non fancy car and dress simply because you can’t afford more then $36-72 is fine

We give $100-150 to rebbeim because we bH can. If we could give more we’d give more.

I do think $500 is typical for tashbar orchos chaim because the parent body seems to be wealthy

I love my boys’ school because it’s so simple and wholesome but I hope the rebbeim are getting tipped enough!

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:33 pm
I think It became such a norm for Rabbeim to get nice checks that they rely on the money for their yt expenses. It’s like the holiday bonus that corporate companies give and is expected in addition to their salary. Everyone should give within their means, but I DO think the money is going to very worthy cause. The rabbeim/teachers put so much into their students and they don’t get monthly checks direct like playgroup teachers do. This is the way we can give them something “extra” from us to them. I honestly don’t think it’s extra anymore though. I think it’s something they’ve come to depend on.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:39 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
If you drive new or fancy cars and you wear a $3-4000 wig and designer purse and nice diamonds, yes you should give $250-500
If you drive a regular non fancy car and dress simply because you can’t afford more then $36-72 is fine

We give $100-150 to rebbeim because we bH can. If we could give more we’d give more.

I do think $500 is typical for tashbar orchos chaim because the parent body seems to be wealthy

I love my boys’ school because it’s so simple and wholesome but I hope the rebbeim are getting tipped enough!

We send to a simple school.
I am sure we give the most. Like another mother said, if you are driving a fancy car you should also be giving a nice amount of money which is exactly what we do.
But no $4000 wigs or fancy clothes for me! My dh drives the nice car and my jewelry is not any fancier than anyone else's and I don't get that often.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:40 pm
amother Honey wrote:
I think It became such a norm for Rabbeim to get nice checks that they rely on the money for their yt expenses. It’s like the holiday bonus that corporate companies give and is expected in addition to their salary. Everyone should give within their means, but I DO think the money is going to very worthy cause. The rabbeim/teachers put so much into their students and they don’t get monthly checks direct like playgroup teachers do. This is the way we can give them something “extra” from us to them. I honestly don’t think it’s extra anymore though. I think it’s something they’ve come to depend on.

It is definitely a worthy cause. The rebbeim in my son’s yeshiva are tzaddikim and my boys learn so so much and take it with them every year.

The teachers teach them 2 hours a day and make 15-20k. The rebbeim are there Sundays and daily, and do not make as much hourly as the teachers.

If I was rich I’d honestly give tons more to the rebbeim!

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:41 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
We send to a simple school.
I am sure we give the most. Like another mother said, if you are driving a fancy car you should also be giving a nice amount of money which is exactly what we do.
But no $4000 wigs or fancy clothes for me! My dh drives the nice car and my jewelry is not any fancier than anyone else's and I don't get that often.

If any spouse drives a nice car I would hope they tip the rebbeim nicely. Sounds like you do!

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:55 pm
amother Marigold wrote:

So not everyone is wealthy, many struggle. We send to those schools and the people we know give $60 to $200 to rebbeim. I have asked the rebbeim's wives that Im friendly with what 0eople do and was told thats the range they see with the amounts leaning towards 100 to 120. We give $150 at chanuka and purim.

I admit I havent asked in a few years. And the cars and houses and everything have gotten crazy. I think theres more people with money to throw around, I totally agree this is the place to do it.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:02 pm
I give $50 to Rebbeim. I have a few boys. boys and girls English teachers $18
And girls Hebrew teachers $18 then playgroup Morahs and assistants and babysitters.
And Principals and first grade assistants. And a 7th grade girl can have 5 teachers. It all adds up. So can’t give more than 50 to rebbeim

bsy

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:45 pm
I gave the rebbi 50 for Chanukah and will give 50 for purim. For morahs, the school collected a set amount per student for Chanukah. For purim I will probably give 30 each

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:36 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
That's my cheshbon too.
Morah gets 550 straight to her monthly by 20+ parents.
She is making a lot more than the typical rebbe & works less.

Your playgroup morah charges $550 and has 20+ kids and no assistant?
That's very unusual!! Wow!!!
(That's $11000/month...never heard of such numbers!)

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:40 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Your playgroup morah charges $550 and has 20+ kids and no assistant?
That's very unusual!! Wow!!!
(That's $11000/month...never heard of such numbers!)

My playgroup Morah charges 450 for 18 kids and has an assistant. So she makes almost 100k before paying the assistant who I don’t think gets more than 30 k
It’s in her home so no rent

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:43 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
My playgroup Morah charges 450 for 18 kids and has an assistant. So she makes almost 100k before paying the assistant who I don’t think gets more than 30 k
It’s in her home so no rent

Toys?
Supplies?
Crafts?
Plastic cups?
Any snacks, drinks?
Toilet paper, garbage bags, hand soap?

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:48 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Toys?
Supplies?
Crafts?
Plastic cups?
Any snacks, drinks?
Toilet paper, garbage bags, hand soap?

She charges an additional snack fee

Even if the rest of it adds up to 20k she walks away with 50 k which is what I make for a job where she has off whenever her kids have off

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:50 pm
My kids go to a more modern orthodox school and I don’t give any money to any of the teachers or rabbis purim time. I’m not sure if that’s something anyone at their school does or people in my community’s other more yeshivish schools do. It’s not something I’ve ever considered doing. My kids do give mishloach manot to their teachers and I do give $ to them Chanukah and end of the year but not purim.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:52 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
She charges an additional snack fee

Even if the rest of it adds up to 20k she walks away with 50 k which is what I make for a job where she has off whenever her kids have off

Ok.
Now let me ask you. If you found out that your sons Rebbi was making 50k also with vacations in the summer, Yom Tov, etc
Would you give less in the MM to the Rebbi?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:52 pm
We give $200 per rebbi and $50 for the English teachers. Both get lovely, high-end platters, too, worth about $100 each.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries