Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Omg! I canโ€™t believe how dumb I am ๐Ÿ˜†
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:57 pm
When I learned to drive at age 28, I learned that when a STOP sign says under it ALL WAY, it does not mean to stop all the way.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:14 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
I thought the girls came in front of achasheverosh like a beauty pageant. Got married and my husband was completely shocked that I didnโ€™t realize they had to sleep with the kingโ€ฆ
I am not sheltered at all!!!!

I did NOT KNOW THAT!!!!
So fascinating!!

ittsamother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:18 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
Ok when I was in elementary school I saw that my megillah said ,"ื‘ืขืจื‘ ื”ื™ื ื‘ืื” ื•ื‘ื‘ื•ืงืจ ื”ื™ื ืฉื‘ื”" that she came to the king at night and left the next morning. And you know what my sheltered brain decided?

My megillah has a typo! It is supposed to say that she comes in the morning and leaves at night. How strange is that that my megillah was printed wrong?!?!
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Rolling Laughter

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:23 pm
Our 8th grade teacher had to correct my classmate when she kept pronouncing "women" as "woman". My classmate giggled in embarrassment and our teacher told her, "That's not so bad. Another student of mine pronounced Egypt as Eggyput."
LOL

Couple that kid with me learning most of my vocabulary from reading, the two of us would have pronounced it as An-sigh-ent Eggyput! Lol

I also told my mother I wanted to learn how to crot-chit.

I was devastated to learn how you actually pronounce writhe- that long I sounded so wrong to me!
And don't even get me started on the weirdness that is "debacle" Can't Believe It

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:26 pm
I must have been at least 30 when I figured out that "Exit Only" doesn't mean that it's the only exit. It means that the lane the sign is above will be forced to exit. Or in other words, this is an Exit Only LANE.

Before that I was just really confused.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:21 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
It's actually instead of "could've, would've, should've," which is pronounced the same as the misspelling.

Those are abbreviations. The full form is "have". Like c/w/shouldn't is the abbreviated form of c/w/should not.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:25 am
The name Sean is so commonly mispronounced. Even by very intelligent people. Did you know it's pronounced Shawn??

Queen Of Hearts

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:25 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Our 8th grade teacher had to correct my classmate when she kept pronouncing "women" as "woman". My classmate giggled in embarrassment and our teacher told her, "That's not so bad. Another student of mine pronounced Egypt as Eggyput."
LOL

Couple that kid with me learning most of my vocabulary from reading, the two of us would have pronounced it as An-sigh-ent Eggyput! Lol

I also told my mother I wanted to learn how to crot-chit.

I was devastated to learn how you actually pronounce writhe- that long I sounded so wrong to me!
And don't even get me started on the weirdness that is "debacle" Can't Believe It

Eggyput LOL LOL
This wins the award!

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:27 am
Conversation with my friend:

Friend: "My brother and his wife went to LA for vacation. Why would they go there?"

Me: "Why not?"

Friend: "I don't know. They should've gone to California..."

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:28 am
Ooh , I just remembered one from my childhood.

When I was little I thought that all food crumbs were chametz. I remember being very distressed seeing all the Matzah and food crumbs during Pesach meals and couldn't for the life of me understand why no-one else was worried about them. I must have been at least 8 or 9 when the penny dropped.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 1:25 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
I did NOT KNOW THAT!!!!
So fascinating!!

They were also locked up in jail for the rest of their lives. Anyone who was intimate with the king could no longer be intimate with anyone else ever again. I can't imagine, thousands of Jewish girls forced to be pretty and intimate then locked in jail for the rest of their lives.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 2:05 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
Those are abbreviations. The full form is "have". Like c/w/shouldn't is the abbreviated form of c/w/should not.

When people write "of," they are misspelling the contraction.

synthy

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 2:14 am
I once asked my coworker who does bookkeeping how she prints our checks if we donโ€™t have a color printer. I wanted the floor to swallow me when I realized how stupid I was.

Alas, a year later I came up with this same question again ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 2:18 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
When people write "of," they are misspelling the contraction.

Okay, but I still maintain that they don't realise that full correct form is have. I've heard plenty of people also say (not just write) "of" instead of " have" in this context.

And btw, thanks for the correction...I knew abbreviation was not right but couldn't think of the right term.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 2:49 am
amother Brown wrote:
The name Sean is so commonly mispronounced. Even by very intelligent people. Did you know it's pronounced Shawn??

What about Siobhan? That one got me.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 2:53 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
What about Siobhan? That one got me.

I once did work with a Siobhan.
Weeks of emails etc.

And then we were actually meeting.

And I realized I had NO Idea How to pronounce her name.

Thank g-d for google. I was able to calmly say. Hi shiv-on so nice to meet you in person.

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 3:49 am
My teacher pronounced Sherlock Holmes like 'toll' - Holl-mes

She also thought he wrote the book

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 3:50 am
amother Winterberry wrote:
I was wayyyy too old when I figured out "miser" is an English word and not Yiddish (and I'm not a Yiddish speaker FYI. The extent of my Yiddish is basically the very common expressions that just are part of frum speak. Don't speak a stitch more than that). Anyway, I came across the word in a totally secular book and was shocked. Something about the word miser just sounds Yiddish. And with all the classic Jewish folktales that have Moishe the Miser or whoever who learns his lesson about the importance of being more generous lol.

I thought bishop was Yiddish

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 4:06 am
synthy wrote:
Iโ€™ve been pronouncing awry as awe-ree until very recently.

What then?

Roots

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 4:22 am
remember Hermione, when we just started with harry potter- before the movie came out- we pronounced HER-MEE-OWN
and in twilight carlisle CAR-LISS-LEE
Page 7 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics