Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Biscotti for MM

AhavatYisrael

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 3:14 pm
I'm thinking of including 2 types of biscotti in our MM (coffee theme).
I was thinking of a chocolate chocolate chip one and an oatmeal craisin but open to suggestions.
Only problem is that I've never made biscotti. I'd appreciate recommendations for recipes/cookbooks with good recipes as well as tips so that they come out with a nice texture. I don't have time to experiment with different recipes/techniques before I make them for Purim. Thanks

lamplighter

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 4:25 pm
The recipe in the Bais Yaakov cookbook is good. It has cranberries in it..

AhavatYisrael

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:42 pm
lamplighter wrote:
The recipe in the Bais Yaakov cookbook is good. It has cranberries in it..

Thanks. I saw that one but I want to keep it but free. Can I make it without the nuts?

TWeiss

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:59 pm
I always make the BY one and never put the nuts in or cranberry’s I make it plane and pipe frosting ontop its always delicious

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:00 pm
Balabusta choice #2 has a really good one!

AhavatYisrael

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 9:30 am
flowerpower wrote:
Balabusta choice #2 has a really good one!

I don't have that cookbook. Is there somewhere else that I can find the recipe?

AhavatYisrael

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 9:32 am
TWeiss wrote:
I always make the BY one and never put the nuts in or cranberry’s I make it plane and pipe frosting ontop its always delicious

How would it taste if I put in the craisins but not the nuts? Would it be too sweet?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:13 am
AhavatYisrael wrote:
I was thinking of a chocolate chocolate chip one and an oatmeal craisin but open to suggestions.
Only problem is that I've never made biscotti. I'd appreciate recommendations for recipes/cookbooks with good recipes as well as tips so that they come out with a nice texture. I don't have time to experiment with different recipes/techniques before I make them for Purim. Thanks

Short question: are you too sending ice coffee in your MM?
Just curious

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:31 am
These are Mandelbroit which I think of as Jewish Biscotti although the texture is a bit different since they aren't baked again after being sliced. But generally not soft like a cake.

They are very pretty as you can see from the picture.

Rainbow Cookie Mandelbroit

Excerpt From: Chanie Apfelbaum. - Totally Kosher

Makes 2 rolls, 12 cookies per roll

Unlike crispy, twice-baked biscotti, old-school mandelbroit is baked once and has a soft texture that lends itself well to this rainbow cookie–inspired variation that is everything you love about the three-layer radioactive cake, minus all the work. If you really want to doll them up, feel free to dip in chocolate and add colorful sprinkles!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup superfine blanched almond flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup canola oil
3 extra-large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons pure almond extract
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup blanched slivered almonds
½ cup diced Turkish dried apricots
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
Red and green gel food coloring, about ¼ teaspoon each

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt, making sure to break up any clumps of almond flour. In a small bowl, combine the oil, eggs, almond extract, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until a creamy dough forms. Add the almonds and apricots and stir to combine.

In separate small bowls, divide the dough into three equal portions. Add green food coloring to the first portion and red to the second portion, mixing with your hands until incorporated. Leave the third portion plain. (The dough will be sticky.)

Use half of each portion of dough so that you have red, plain, and green to form a log that is 15 inches long and 6 inches wide. Use wet hands to form each ball of dough into a 2-inch-thick strip, placing them alongside each other so that they touch and lightly press the dough together to adhere. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough on the other sheet pan.

Bake the loaves for 25 minutes, alternating the trays halfway through, until puffed and lightly browned on the bottom. Cool for 10 minutes and then use a sharp knife to slice them into 1-inch slices.

Freezer-Friendly

To freeze, wrap the mandelbroit in parchment paper and transfer to a zip-top bag. Freeze for up to 2 months.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:37 am
This is a good version and produces a more biscotti texture because it is sliced and baked again like biscotti. Use oil for pareve as it won't impact the texture since the butter is melted anyway.

This also doesn't need almond paste or almond flour which makes it less expensive.

Grandma Annie's Chocolate Chip Mandel Bread

By Jennifer Segal - Once Upon A Chef

Mandel bread is a traditional twice-baked Jewish cookie similar to biscotti.

Servings: 32 cookies
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes

INGREDIENTS

* 3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off with back edge of knife
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1¼ teaspoons cinnamon, divided
* ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (or 1 cup vegetable oil)
* 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* ¼ teaspoon almond extract
* 3 large eggs
* 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
* ¾ cup coarsely chopped pecans, walnuts or slivered almonds (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

* In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon and the nutmeg.

* In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the melted butter, 1 cup of the sugar, the vanilla extract and almond extract. Beat on medium speed until combined. Add the eggs and continue beating on medium speed until thickened and pale yellow, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just incorporated, then mix in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill until firm, 1 to 2 hours.

* Preheat the oven to 350°F and set two oven racks in the centermost positions. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and shape the dough into 2 logs about 2 inches wide, 13 inches long, and 1 inch tall. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until lightly golden, rotating the pans from top to bottom and front to back midway through. Remove the pans from the oven and place on cooling racks. Let the baked logs cool for 15 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 250°F.

* In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. 

* Once the logs have cooled, cut them diagonally into ¾-inch-thick slices (I do this directly on the baking sheets, but you can transfer the logs to a cutting board, if you'd like). Flip the cookies onto their sides, and then sprinkle half of the cinnamon-sugar over top. Flip the cookies over and repeat with the remaining cinnamon-sugar. Place the pan back in the oven (be sure the temperature has reached 250°F) and bake until golden and crisp, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the mandel bread cool on the baking sheets on the cooling racks, then store in airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. (Note: the cookies will get crunchier as they cool.)

* Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The dough can be frozen for up to 3 months: Shape the dough into logs, wrap each securely in plastic wrap, and place them in a sealable bag. When ready to bake, remove the logs from the freezer, thaw the dough until pliable, and then proceed with recipe. To freeze after baking: After the cookies are completely cooled, double-wrap them securely with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap. Thaw overnight on the countertop before serving.

AhavatYisrael

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:10 am
Thank you! These are really helpful.
Another question: can I make them in advance or do I need to bake motzei Shabbos?

And no...I wasn't planning on giving iced coffee... LOL

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:12 am
AhavatYisrael wrote:
Another question: can I make them in advance or do I need to bake motzei Shabbos?

If you read my recipes, they freeze very well

Do you mean to cook today?

6000miles

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:23 am
I make this, it’s heaven. Skip the cream of tartar and nuts. Comes out perfect.
I’ve also used oil instead of margarine and was fine.
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/....._gl=1*1uiajcf*_ga*MTIwNDAwNDY1Ni4xNzA5MTk1NjU3*_ga_5SKJR68LJ0*MTcwOTgyODQ5NS42LjEuMTcwOTgyODUwNy4wLjAuMA..

6000miles

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:24 am
AhavatYisrael wrote:

Biscotti usually freezes well, wrap carefully.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:26 am
AhavatYisrael wrote:

I once read that you should never try out a recipe for the first time for an occasion if you won’t have time to resort to plan B in case it doesn’t come out well for some reason. So I’d suggest you try out the recipe well before Purim so you won’t be stuck last minute just in case you don’t like how it comes out.

mudpies

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:40 pm
So make some for Shabbos dessert. If it's good, you can make a bunch next week for MM and freeze till Purim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics